UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2014, 10:23 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default VHS frequency response adjustment pot

Looking through my Panasonic service manuals for some of their 90's VCR decks I see reference to

"VHS frequency response adjustment"

With the following info as an example;

Test Point: TP3002
Adjust point: VR30005 (SP) VR30004 (LP)
Mode: playback of self recorded SP and LP
Input: Video sweep signal
Tape: Blank tape
Measurement: Oscilloscope
Spec: SP:0+-1 (dB)(90-110%), LP:0+-1 (dB)(90-110%)
Set video sweep signal as shown in and supply video sweep signal to video in terminal.

What I was wondeing is what is the effect of this pot - change of record or playback? Is it an internal sharpness adjust or something more than that?
Old 1st Aug 2014, 8:50 am   #2
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: VHS frequency response adjustment pot

Well I tried it (after marking the original set point). One way the picture got a bit sharper and the other way the picture got a bit softer followed by comet tailing like worn heads.
Old 1st Aug 2014, 11:47 am   #3
flyingtech55
Octode

Some VCRs had a 'Sharpness' control under a flap for the customer to twiddle. ISTR when I went on a Panasonic course for one of the VCR models this question came up. The stance Panasonic took was that there was a correct adjustment for that and that anything other than that setting was incorrect so why let the customer twiddle with it.

HTH

Tim
Old 1st Aug 2014, 12:48 pm   #4
PaulE27
Pentode

I had a Philips VCR with a sharpness control. I found it quite useful, and set it differently with different TV sets.

Paul
Closed Thread