UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2013, 12:14 pm   #1
Rex_Cymru
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips Discoverer - display problem

Hi, first time poster - was wondering if anyone could advise me on a problem I have with a Philips Discoverer. I bought one which was said to be in full working order. I had hoped to use it as a monitor for my old Sega Megadrive and SNES, but after tuning the TV multiple times, the only display I can get is misaligned with a huge streak down the left hand side of the screen. (please see attached pics)

I was wondering if this is a symptom of a recognisable problem, and whether this means a specific part needs to be replaced.

Thanks,

Rex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0934.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	77571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0936.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	77572  

Last edited by Station X; 17th Mar 2013 at 1:20 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Old 17th Mar 2013, 4:41 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Discoverer - display problem

Looks more like a problem in the modulator of the device you're feeding it with. Try tuning it in to a video recorder , sky decoder UHF out or similar, see if you get the same fault.
Old 17th Mar 2013, 4:55 pm   #3
Rex_Cymru
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, it's the exact same display issue with both a Sega Megadrive and a Super Nintendo (using different sets of cables), which led me to believe the fault lies with the TV...

Thanks
Old 17th Mar 2013, 6:55 pm   #4
jayceebee
Heptode

I've had this before with the Philips GR 1 chassis which this model is fitted with. The PCB may have a small crack in it near line output transformer which has cut one or more of the copper tracks. This is very likely if the set has been transported.

Repair is not too difficult if you have the required soldering skills but you must take steps to stop the crack progressing any further.
Old 17th Mar 2013, 7:03 pm   #5
Rex_Cymru
Retired Dormant Member

That sounds promising.... Thing is I'm a complete novice with regards to TV repair. Could you please explain how to do that, as if talking to a small child?!
Closed Thread