UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2010, 1:22 pm   #1
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Default Toshiba 107E6B Girly portable TV...

Just something I've had tucked away for some time, I did use it a fair bit in my first house, then later got my Philips combi which replaced it, but, being an old TV, I didn't have the tip of the aerial (see the pics!!!) to throw it out...

It works well, only had to repair it once as it had a habit of switching on and off by itself, I used a power switch from a blown AT computer power supply, as it was identical, to replace the power button, and the problem went away, and that's it. Annoyingly, I caused it's casing some fading, cos in my first house, the only place to put it in my bedroom was in the window, and obviously, white plastic and UV light, well, you know the rest...

It did originally have a plastic cover over the screen, but when I got it, it was pretty scratched and had a crack in it (believe me, I thought that was the screen itself!!), so I removed that and promptly lost it...

Still, take a look at the pictures, it's not perfect in looks, but works superbly, especially without any restoration work, and I played a tape I haven't played in years, Beetle Bailey (the line in the picture is caused by my knackered Aiwa VHS, it belonged to my late brother and I don't have the heart to throw it out)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0970.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	44173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0971.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	44174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0972.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	44175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0973.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	44176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0974.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	44177  

Old 21st Dec 2010, 1:22 pm   #2
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Toshiba 107E6B Girly portable TV...

Second half of the pics....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pict0975.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	44178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0976.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	44179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0977.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	44180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0978.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	44181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0979.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	44182  

Old 21st Dec 2010, 5:12 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I sold a number of these. Brilliant picture but the receiver was difficult to sell because Toshiba did not market the remote control version in the U.K. It also lacked a headphone socket due to a non isolated power supply, so restricted late night viewing. It was produced in Pink, Black and White. It was called the 'Cutie' [I think that was the spelling]
J.
Old 21st Dec 2010, 7:00 pm   #4
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Given the mechanical controls for the channels, I wouldn't have thought that it also had a remote controlled version...

Still, it's a neat little telly, picture's great, the sounds good, the channels have a very positive click action, just a shame the only analogue source I have for it is my knackered old VHS (that was a job just to get it to load a tape, hence why the cover was removed!!!)...

The volume control's a bit "loose" for me, it's easy just to brush over the top of the set and turn the volume up quite high without realising it, giving you a surprise when you next fire it up...
Old 21st Dec 2010, 8:27 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Toshiba 'E' models, I.E. 107E6B were manual and the 'R' version was remote. That goes for all Toshiba models from around 1980. 'T' versions were text of course. I thought the channel buttons were light touch? It was a long time ago. The service manual mentions the remote model but sadly they never imported this version from Japan. Toshiba sets at that time were produced in Plymouth but these had a limited customer demand and were imported. J.
Old 21st Dec 2010, 9:14 pm   #6
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

The channel buttons are the clicky sort, that's my technical term for them, pressing one disengages the other, and the tuning is mechanical too, with tuning wheels so sharp they sand the fingerprint off your fingers...

It does have AFC though, which is handy, but in the age where there is nothing for it to automatically fine tune into, aside from a VCR, Freeview (if not a cheapie non-modulator one), sky or Cable box, shame really, analogue pictures on it were pretty good...
Old 21st Jan 2011, 5:12 am   #7
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Got it set up on my bed again (want to actually watch TV, cos it's boring being awake during the night!!!), and using FML Testcard maker and a couple of videos of Channel 4 stuff off youtube, I put together a video to play back on it...

I chose Channel 4 cos for one, they had their very unique "Four Score" theme, and of course, they started in Nov. 1982, and this TV is an 80's TV, so there was probably a rebellious teenager watching said channel on this set many moons ago, so quite fitting really...

Looking at the testcard though, the image seems to be shifted over to the left side of the screen, and I want to try and centre it, but I haven't a clue how one would go about this, and I haven't the courage to go poking around inside the box incase I repeat what I did to a CRT PC monitor several years ago (big bang, hot chunk of exploded component striking my face just below my eye and all that! Kind of put me off the insides of CRTs!!!), but for the moment, here's a couple of pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pict0028.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	45437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0030.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	45438  

Last edited by twocvbloke; 21st Jan 2011 at 5:22 am.
Old 21st Jan 2011, 7:28 am   #8
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Irony strikes!!! I thought I'd see if there was anything Analogue managing to get through with the different weather conditions (last time I tried the weather was poor and overcast), and the oddest coincidence happened...

The only channel I could properly lock into and get full colour and sound together was, would you believe it, Channel 4!!!

I really didn't expect that at all!!!

I could just about get BBC1, barely get a BBC2 picture (it was running "Pages from Ceefax), a very very faint ITV1, and of course Channel 4 boomed in, Channel 5 still lives up to it's reputation though!! So, that's the first time I have watched analogue TV since they shut off the Winter Hill transmitter in favour of dodgytal, if I didn't have to hold the aerial at a jaunty angle, I'd probably have enjoyed watching Countdown, buuuut, my wrist was beginning to hurt, so I gave up and switched off, but, I'm pretty happy with that result, my first proper bit of DXing...

(shame the camera caught the last pic mid-scan!!!)

Has revealed that the contacts in the channel switches aren't that great, cos they were flickering a bit which was throwing off the tuning, which was a tad annoying...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pict0031.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	45439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0032.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	45440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0033.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	45441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0034.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	45442  
Old 19th Mar 2011, 12:01 pm   #9
coastalerosion
Retired Dormant Member

Hi twocvbloke,

I recently purchased one of these sets, in perfect working order. Could you tell me, please, if there is a tilt system to raise the front as it seems odd just sat flat? If it has, mine doesn't.

How do you remove the plastic screen cover? Mine is slightly scratched but certainly liveable with but would like to know just in case.

Finally, do you have any kind of operating instructions etc. that you could let me have a copy of please? Would be extremely grateful if you could sort me out with this lot !!

Thanks/regards,
Robin.
Old 19th Mar 2011, 1:50 pm   #10
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

In all honesty, I don't know to the first & second questions, I got the TV as it is, and the screen cover was already loose so came off pretty much by itself, I think it's either clipped in place or glued in, I'm not too sure...

As for operating instructions, I haven't got any, but it's not too hard to work, the tuning wheels turn to tune in a UHF frequency (though I'm sure there should be a tuning peg to turn the little indicators), and the brightness & contrast controls are pretty intuitive...

I used an old VHS tape to wedge under the TV to raise it up to an angle though, probably about the only good use a VHS tape these days has...
Old 19th Mar 2011, 2:58 pm   #11
coastalerosion
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info.. I have it all worked out tuned in but thought some official info would be good if it was available. I guess that's a tool holder
aft of the tuning wheels. If it is I don't have what goes in it. Looks like trial and terror getting the plastic screen off. Or maybe leave well alone ! I am intrigued by the 2 semi-circular cut-outs either side at the front of the base.
These are what led me to suspect the set may have been fitted with an elevating device. Once again thanks for your help.
Regards
Old 19th Mar 2011, 3:22 pm   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I remember seeing quite a few of these tellies around never any for repair as they were very reliable but the pictures on them were and still are superb. Has your VCR got a scart socket if it does then you can easily connect a freeview box. There are also a few new Freeview boxes with an RF Output and a few older boxes such as the Humax which has an RF modulator and supports the newer 8k Freeview standard.
Old 19th Mar 2011, 6:02 pm   #13
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Once I dig my way through to my Toshiba, I'll have my 2nd Humax box hooked up to it, seeing how it has a modulator, saves having to have my tired old Aiwa VHS powered up and taking 5 minutes to do a channel scan every time I turn it on!!!

The cutouts I guess you could use to sit the TV onto a platform or something, or even just use a poster tube to hold it up at an angle, but I think you know as much about it as I do, I just have it cos I was given it, and use it now and then to watch a bit of TV in peace...

As for the tuning peg thing, I think a lot of TVs lose them over the years, flaps falling open during hose moves, kids playing with the TV, people setting them down and forgetting about them, etc., easier just to use a jeweller's screwdriver in it's place...
Closed Thread