UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2010, 4:57 pm   #1
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Ferguson 606T weak,smeary picture.

Hi,
Due to a "noisy" tuner I cleaned the contacts on my Ferguson 606T. They appeared very dirty and responded well to a claen with meths. Upon reassembly and switching on the cleaning appeared to have worked but now I have a fault of a weak smeary picture and the contrast control has no effect. I have tried adjusting the local oscillator and fine tuner with no improvement. It is possible to lock the picture.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks.
Des.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 5:13 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 606T weak,smeary picture.

This is the old saga that never goes away. What have you done? I would suggest that you remove the tuner disc and make sure the spring contacts are all 'proud' enough to make contact with the studs. When you say 'smeary' do you mean low gain, grainy or just low contrast. If you have a weak signal due to a tuner fault the contrast control will have little if any effect. There are other possibilities but I don't think it will go that far. Check the I.F. output cable from the Fireball and make sure the inner wire is still connected....It fell off a few times when I used to service these many years ago.
It's a simple fact that it worked before you cleaned the tuner so you will have to examine everything you have touched or moved during this operation. It's a simple one but simple faults can be annoying to solve. Don't jump in the deep end, it will be an easy one. Good luck. John.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 5:17 pm   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

If the set was OK prior to you cleaning the contacts, you may have disturbed something, recheck inside the tuner for broken wires. Did you touch the coils at all?
Meths though is not the best contact cleaner as there is no lubrication on the contacts after cleaning, a tiny amount of vaseline on the contacts should put things back to rights there though. Meths may take a while to dry out though and that will effect the tuning, it may be an idea to give the tuner a blast with a hairdryer.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 6:41 pm   #4
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi John and Trevor,
Thanks for your replies. I have had a quick look. I have no continuity from the PCF80 (mixer/osc) pentode anode pin 6 to the point where the i.f cable goes into the receiver deck nor at the tuner end of the cable. When I get more time I'll open up the tuner and have a look inside and apply a little vaseline.
Thank you,
Des.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 7:00 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The probable reason is that the thin wire from the I.F. output coil is O/C. It passes in a tiny length of plastic sleeving behind the PCF80 socket. It is difficult to see. It usually 'rots' inside the sleeve. Give it a very gentle tug with a probe and if it just pulls through you will have to extend it with 5amp fuse wire or similar, re thread it and solder it back onto pin 6. Failing that you may have dislodged the H.T. supply to the other end of the I.F. output coil but I doubt it. Repaired dozens! J.
Old 27th Oct 2010, 9:58 pm   #6
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi john,
It looks as if what your'e saying is right. Tonight I thought I would get a picture of the set working before further work. I did apply a little vaseline to the contacts. Contact F seemed not to be fixed down as well as the others at its base and feels looser and not as proud. It was making contact with V1b anode. Admittedly I didn't check if contact was good to the relevent coil.Upon first power up I forgot to connect the speaker to its' transformer. I had smoke coming from somewhere below the receiver deck and from I think R5 in the tuner. This resistor does look burnt. The transformer looks ok and felt cold.
Secondly I think I'll have to remove the tuner as there is no way I can see to repai it in situ,
Any views / ideas gratefully received.
REF: Trader sheet 1494 T202.
Thanks,
Des.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 1:23 am   #7
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi,
Unfortunately I had to admit defeat on this one. I knew if I attempted to continue I would cause even more problems. It's not always easy to give in but I really struggle with fiddly jobs such as this.
A forum member very kindly did an excellent job in repairing this and the set is now working really well.
Cheers,
Des.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 11:28 am   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Des,
I presume it was the thin wire from the I.F. output coil? If it was I know exactly what you mean. The first time I repaired one of these coils was around 1964 when I 16! I had 100% eyesight then and much thinner fingers to say nothing of a huge enthusiasm and a lot more patience! J.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 11:44 am   #9
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Des.

Glad it's tip-top now. Was John right?
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 3:39 pm   #10
Line whistle
Hexode

Yes.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 3:50 pm   #11
murphyv310
Dekatron

He usually is
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 7:18 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Now you know what happens when you over inflate a balloon....J.
Closed Thread