UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2011, 7:12 pm   #1
retroaudio
Pentode

Default Television theory books for the novice

I was through visiting Murphyv310 yesterday (Trevor) and one of the things we discussed was television theory books His experience and theory was not gained in this way. Are there any good books still available which cover theory and fault finding for the the 405 line period from the late 40s till the early 60s ? I would like to learn more about theory and methodical fault finding. I am aware that the quality of material on radio varies tremendously and would assume the same is true on what was written for television ?

Alex
Old 1st Jan 2011, 7:19 pm   #2
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default Re: Television theory books for the novice

Hi,

I learned a lot from the book 'Radio & TV Servicing' by Gordon J King.
I had it on long term loan then from the library. It certainly helped a lot when I was learning about TV.
It even covered receivers using mains derived eht.
You could check Amazon UK or Abebooks to see if you could pick up a second hand copy?

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 1st Jan 2011, 7:22 pm   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Alex.
Perhaps I should elaborate a bit. When I went to tech, we worked with handouts and would often take down notes that were dictated to us. Textbooks were the property of the college and we would use them for reference without taking them home.
Regarding the best book or books for the complete novice I really don't know what to start with.
Hands on is useful along with a suitable book.
Perhaps others may suggest a good book, I have a terrible memory for names of books an authors.
Old 1st Jan 2011, 7:25 pm   #4
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Being new to TV's myself, two that I have found so useful and constantly refer to when needing assistance are:-

First

Television Receiver servicing By E.A.W. Spreadbury

Vol 1 covers Time base circuits
Vol 2 covers Receiver and Power supply

It does assume a basic level of pre knowledge gained on radio servicing.

Spreadburys one I highly recommend and can be sourced from Amazon, prices vary.

Second

Another great little book is " A beginners Guide to Televisions" an elementary course in 17 lessons by F J Camm
This was first published in 1958 and reprinted in 1965

Finally other useful ones I use are "TV Fault Finding" (staff of Radio Constructor) and "Correcting Television Picture Faults" (John Curra & Leonard Stanley)they both contain almost every type of possible fault it's description, cause and cure recommendation. Where possible TestCard C or live transmission snapshot showing fault. Given the choice of the two, John Curra's is more comprehensive.

All of the above covering 405 with a little mention of 625 and colour in the F J Camm lessons

Chris

Last edited by oldticktock; 1st Jan 2011 at 7:47 pm.
Old 1st Jan 2011, 7:44 pm   #5
Mikey405
Octode

One of the absolute best and very pragmatic TV books was called simply "TV Fault Finding"; there were versions that covered 405-lines only and later versions which covered 405 and 625 lines. The original book from 1952 is purple and has about 80 pages, the later 405/625 line books were red and had probably about 150 pages (although this is a rough guess). The books are absolutely chock full of pictures of faults, circuit diagrams, explanations of circuitry, and descriptions of why certain faults causes certain symptoms and how to cure them. The original 1952 "Purple" version was produced by "Amalgamated Short Wave Press" and was "Compiled by the staff of The Radio Constructor". I had a couple of copies as a child and spent many hours reading and then instantly forgetting the information. The book in question appears from time-to-time on eBay and I can highly recommend it.
Old 1st Jan 2011, 7:59 pm   #6
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Some shots of them

1 Spreadbury's Vol 1 & Vol 2 with TV Fault Finding (Staff of Radio Constructor)

2 (top) Correcting Picture Faults 2nd edition (1956) & (bottom)1st edition Picture Faults (1953) John Curra

3 & 4 F J Camm 17 Lessons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4033.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	44537   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4034.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	44538   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4035.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	44539   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4036.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	44540  

Last edited by oldticktock; 1st Jan 2011 at 8:18 pm.
Old 1st Jan 2011, 8:43 pm   #7
Kevin19
Tetrode

I'm also quite new to restoring TV's But have been restoring wireless sets for many years and I do so agree with all the books Chris (Oldticktock) has listed as above all really very good and so worth having and I must I would say, along with this forum of course. I to have all these myself. I really like the little book in Chris above picture centre "Correcting Television Picture Faults" the number of times I have used that I find it a great guide and often leads me to the fault and goes to show how so right the very professional and experienced guy's say on the forum just how important it is to get something up on screen as soon as possible when restoring a vintage TV! I also have just about all the Practical Television Magazines from issue number 1 to the mid 1960's I find I can read these over and over again and there is loads of interesting items in these I really like the Your problems solved pages in these period Practical Televisions mags.

Anyone know a good very basic book to point you in the right direction of using an Oscilloscope for 405 line TV repair / restoration / testing?

Best wishes

Kevin.
Old 1st Jan 2011, 11:09 pm   #8
valvekits
Pentode

I wonder if anyone purchased these? GN Patchett was the standard book when I did my time.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...6966&styleid=2

Eddie
Old 1st Jan 2011, 11:58 pm   #9
Synchrodyne
Nonode

On the basis that multiple sources are better than one, the following are suggested as adjuncts to the excellent Spreadbury pair already mentioned.

Cocking, W.T.; Television Receiving Equipment; Iliffe; various editions from 1940; 4th, 1957 might be the last, and provides a good view of UK 405-line practice of the time.

Miller, W.E. & E.A.W. Spreadbury; Television Explained; various editions from 1947; 7th, 1960 is probably a good choice for basic 405-line practice. The 8th edition, 1968, by Spreadbury alone, naturally addresses dual-standard as well as 405-line receivers and has two volumes, the 2nd covering PAL colour in a basic way. (Although in respect of colour the Sims and Carnt & Townsend works are probably the references of choice.)

Davies, J.R., Understanding Television, Data Publications; 1964, provides another coverage of the theory at a level just a bit above the Miller & Spreadbury book. It covers 625 as well as 405, but is fairly complete in respect of the latter.

More detailed still is: Hutson, G.H.; Television Receiver Theory; Edward Arnold, 1966. Evidently it was in two parts, although I have only Part 1. I am not sure that Part 2 was ever actually published. It covers early transistor as well as valve circuits.

Television Engineer’s Pocket Book, various editions from 1954, is a concise source of theory and practice. The 4th edition, 1962, edited by J.P. Hawker and published by Newnes is probably a good choice as it is mostly, but not entirely 405-oriented.

All of the above should be available from ABE from time-to-time; that’s where most of mine came from, except for Cocking which was a happenstance find at Hay-on-Wye.

Cheers,
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 1:05 am   #10
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi,
Bush had a book starting the the early 60's which had the the complete circuit diagram and listed all the components for one of their models. In the capacitor section for example faults were written again each one saying what symptons would appear if the cap was leaky or open circuit. I have one for the Bush TV105.
I find Practical Television magazines very useful.
Cheers,
Des.
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 1:56 am   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

I have a library full of TV and radio servicing books dating from the 1920's to the late 1980's and a fairly full subscription to Practical Wireless / Practical Television / Television up till the end of the Reed days.

Most of the 'vintage' books are a bit stuffy and alot of the books deal with basic electron theory before getting into the servicing; almost as though they were aimed at people who were (quite understandably) new to electric altogether.

My favourite books are the modernish ones by Les Lawry-Johns (valve) and Eugene Trundle (solid state).

As most engineers will tell you, there is absolutely no substitute for experience in the trade and/or access to people who are or who have been in it and who don't mind you badgering them.

I was lucky, when I left college I got a chance trainee job with a firm who had nothing to do with colour tv servicing but who had employed recently redundant Rediffusion engineers whose collective experience let me fix my first colour TV (Rank A823) all on my own! (I shan't tell you what the spoiled Rediffusion engineers' opinions were of that chassis!).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Servicing-TV.../dp/0750655070
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:03 am   #12
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

my employer here has a library cupboard crammed with old tv books. Its almost all obsolete info now, and im sure that as soon as they need the cuboard space it will get dumped.

Im not sure who is in charge of it, but i'll try and find out and try to negotiate there 'liberation', even the library marks might be of interest to some people (since its whats left of the IBA's own library!) I'd hate to turn in to work one day and find them all gone, much better they get released into the wilds of the vintage world!

Martin

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:10 am   #13
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin19 View Post
Anyone know a good very basic book to point you in the right direction of using an Oscilloscope for 405 line TV repair / restoration / testing?

Kevin.
I think that specific might be rather elusive, If you do find it I would be interested too. I can however recommend " Understanding Oscilloscopes and Display Waveforms"

It's very comprehensive and covers as the title suggests. I does include a large chapter on how to use one and explains use with TV's & Radio & TV alignment etc.

chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4038.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	44550   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4039.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	44551   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4040.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	44552   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4041.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	44553   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4042.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	44554  

Last edited by oldticktock; 2nd Jan 2011 at 11:24 am.
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:34 am   #14
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Alex.
I had a rummage in the loft last night when I was putting some Christmas lights away. I have found a number of books that I had forgotten about also my handouts from my City & Guilds days, which I was sure had gotten lost at my last house move.
They are yours if you want them.

Now where did I leave my memory
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 7:04 pm   #15
retroaudio
Pentode

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions of sources of materials. I will have a good look on amazon and see whats readily available. I realise there is no substitute for years of practical experience in the trade. What I was hoping for at this stage was to identify some of the more basic faults and of course not to make silly or dangerous mistakes i have a murphy v310 which Trevor has looked at and we know the tube is OK but it needs all the caps replaced and a tripler to replace the defective part of the oil filled lopt and I was hoping to do most of that myself but I wanted to make as good a job of it as I could. Thanks once again for everyones kind responses

best wishes Alex
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 6:54 pm   #16
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
This is a brilliant book, as well as it's pocket book "sister", "Newnes TV and Video Engineer's Pocket Book".

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroaudio View Post
I will have a good look on amazon and see whats readily available.
eBay I find is usually better.
Closed Thread