UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2010, 8:37 pm   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default Dynatron CTV / VCR

Hi all.

I was wondering whether anyone knew whether there ever actually was a Dynatron combined colour television and VCR from the 1970s? I've heard all sorts of different things - some people have said they used a Philips N1700, some say it was an N1500, some that the unit was "built in" and some that it was a separate unit just resting in a compartment atop the TV.

Does anyone actually know for sure? Was there more than one model? Does anyone have the model number(s) or any photos? I'd really love to see one, and, of course, I'd murder to own one (if they actually exist).

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 18th Dec 2010, 12:27 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron CTV / VCR

Hello Mike,

I am sure that the set was fitted with an N1500, housed in an extension to the top of the usual grand Dynatron cabinet, with a lift up lid, to access the VCR.

I may have a Dynatron brochure somewhere and I think I have a Dynatron TV service manual supplelemnt that mentions the VCR is a Philips N1500. IIRC, the TV chassis was the Pye 110 degree delta gun CRT, all-transistor one.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 18th Dec 2010, 1:15 pm   #3
Studio263
Octode

LLJ mentions it in some of his articles so the must have been at least one. Another set for the "need" list?
Old 20th Dec 2010, 4:33 pm   #4
Maestro Maker
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all
There was indeed a Dynatron TV/VCR combination. The VCR was housed in the top of the cabinet so that our elderly customers did not have get on their knees to operate and/or programme the recorder!!
It also discouraged them from putting a vase of flowers or similar on top.
Cheers
MM

Last edited by Maestro Maker; 20th Dec 2010 at 4:40 pm. Reason: typo
Old 29th Dec 2010, 2:00 pm   #5
marymillington
Diode

I remember a later model around in the 80's with a Philips TV and a V2000 deck, possibly with a 12" screen. I believe John Lewis Group sold them. Memories are a bit vague now and didn't see many. It was at the time when Visionhire had become Serviscope and were doing third party repairs for other companies.

Last edited by Station X; 29th Dec 2010 at 2:47 pm. Reason: GI, FSK, FPK and FQK.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 7:28 pm   #6
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
I am sure that the set was fitted with an N1500, housed in an extension to the top of the usual grand Dynatron cabinet, with a lift up lid, to access the VCR.

I may have a Dynatron brochure somewhere and I think I have a Dynatron TV service manual supplelemnt that mentions the VCR is a Philips N1500. IIRC, the TV chassis was the Pye 110 degree delta gun CRT, all-transistor one.
Hi Dazzlevision.

Okay, that sounds most interesting - I wonder what the model number was and why they are so unbelievably scarce. I don't recall any mention of the set in the Radio and Television Servicing manuals or even in any of the Pye / Dynatron manuals. I wonder if the 2 items were actually completely separate and had to be wired up in the normal fashion or whether they were somehow "integrated". Did they perhaps re-badge the Philips unit and if so was this the only Dynatron VCR ever made?

Too many questions...

Thanks Dazzlevision.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 7:29 pm   #7
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Another set for the "need" list?
I reckon you're right there Tim.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 7:33 pm   #8
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Maker View Post
Hi all
There was indeed a Dynatron TV/VCR combination. The VCR was housed in the top of the cabinet so that our elderly customers did not have get on their knees to operate and/or programme the recorder!!
It also discouraged them from putting a vase of flowers or similar on top.
Cheers
MM
Hi MM.

Thanks for the info. Was the VCR actually a separate unit or was it properly integrated within the cabinet somehow? (Poking out the top?) And was the VCR section badged Dynatron or Philips?

Thanks MM.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 7:38 pm   #9
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymillington View Post
I remember a later model around in the 80's with a Philips TV and a V2000 deck, possibly with a 12" screen. I believe John Lewis Group sold them. Memories are a bit vague now and didn't see many. It was at the time when Visionhire had become Serviscope and were doing third party repairs for other companies.
Hi Mary(?)

That's interesting too - That's not a set I've ever heard of either. And with a 12" screen? That does sound very small - Was it some kind of a portable setup or similar? I've seen ancient open-reel VTRs with small screens but never a V2000 model. Most interesting.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 10:26 pm   #10
marymillington
Diode

Sorry I meant that the set had a second screen in the cabinet.
The main one was a 26" poss G11 or K30 and then a second smaller monitor screen. I only ever saw one and at the time it was very expensive.
Old 1st Jan 2011, 7:00 pm   #11
Maarten
Dekatron

The set you're thinking of is a Philips K12, model 26CP2601, of Swedish origin.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips...8_26cp260.html
Old 1st Jan 2011, 9:06 pm   #12
marymillington
Diode

That's the one , Thank you for that I felt sure I hadn't imagined it

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 1st Jan 2011 at 10:50 pm. Reason: Quote not required.
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 6:50 pm   #13
Maestro Maker
Retired Dormant Member

Not caring for my earlier somewhat flippant comments on this subject my son has come up with the following information from the depths of his archive! (see attached pictures)

The Dynatron combined colour TV/VCR in question would be model “Sandringham” CTV25VCR, a variant of the “Marlborough” CTV 22 and first produced in 1974 using modified Pye 733 TV chassis plus Philips N1500VCR.
A later, visually similar, Model CTV35 used Pye 743 chassis plus N1502VCR.

The Philips N1500VCR was not integrated but fitted by the Dealer, at installation, into a screened compartment under the lid in the top of the cabinet. The combined weight of the TV in its cabinet plus the VCR would have presented a handling problem for delivery.

As I mentioned earlier in post 4 above, the usual position of VCRs at that time was beneath the TV at almost floor level and very inconvenient for those middle aged or over. Both ‘above’ and ‘below’ designs were evaluated giving rise to some intense discussions. It was proposed at one point that a monogrammed, church style, kneeler be offered as an accessory if the ‘below’ style was adopted . . .
The third photo shows the ‘below’ design factory prototype enjoying a happy retirement as a drinks cabinet; stock being kept in the intended slide-out VCR drawer!

Happy days,
Cheers
MM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ctv.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	44585   Click image for larger version

Name:	ctv22.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	44586   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050954.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	44587  
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 8:27 pm   #14
Mikey405
Octode

Wow - Thanks MM. Those photos are fantastic. Thank you very much for finding those out.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 2:41 pm   #15
Baggrus
Pentode

Awesome research..
That brought some memories flooding back of the specific LLJ article and his tussle not only with one of these monsters (seems Les didn't know the vcr was fitted afterwards) but with a young child in ownership of a good collection of brains and a wicked sense of mischief.. If I'm right it was titled "Suffer little children" .. so if anybody has a full archive .. around 1978 if memory serves.. and for some reason my brain puts a yellow cover..
My stash of Television mags bit the dust in 1992, but saved many a 3500 from biting the dust through the 80's... along with the Pye CDA "electric fire" panels.. but I digress..
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 3:01 pm   #16
KeithsTV
Nonode

All the LLJ stories are on Pauls website.

http://www.vintage-radio.info/

Keith
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 4:51 pm   #17
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I saw one of those VCRs for sale in Lewis's not long before they closed down. Good picture quality and contrast on that little screen!

How much of the VCR was buried in the top of the cabinet on those Dynatrons?

Brian
Closed Thread