UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2011, 10:17 pm   #21
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Default Re: Eric & Ernie Docu drama

I really enjoyed the program, and looking out for possible errors in vintage equipment was just a bonus.

The home console TV had a Pye badge on it (just visible in one of the pics), but I've no idea which model it was; as some have suggested it could have contained a modern monitor or been done post production.

I think you would have had to be pretty near the transmitter for a 'V' set top aerial to work. Sets didn't have the 'noise figures' of our modern equipment. I suppose the moving around of the aerial added a bit to the comedy aspect. I'm sure we've all done that before in the past, but with more modern equipment.
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 10:48 pm   #22
McMurdo
Dekatron

The lovely Pye shown in the screen capture was actually one in the grand house where Mrs Bartholemew worked as charlady, she was shown curiously opening the cabinet doors, admiring it and then dusting it lustfully. (!) It wasn't shown with a picture.

It was only for Eric and Ernie's inaugral BBC TV show that Eric's parents were seen taking delivery of a mystery TV of their own which was fetched out of a charming period TV van and which suffered a composited digital picture.
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 10:58 pm   #23
Mike-repairman
Heptode

One thing I noticed was that the console set was taken out of a large cardboard box; I can't ever remember a set being delivered in a box; I'm sure that they were always set up in the TV shop and delivered out of the box to the customer.
In those days it was pot luck whether it worked when first plugged in and most would have had to be run up on the bench for a while before being delivered.
I remember out first set (a Pye) went back to the shop after failing a few times in the first few days and was replaced by a Ferguson in the end; that was relatively reliable for a woody after it settled down. I remember being told it cost about £60; an absolute fortune in those days.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 12:12 am   #24
Danny
Heptode

The Pye sets weren't the same. The Pye in the grand house was a VT4CD and the smaller 9" one was a BV30C/LV30C. Both sets have side thumb wheel controls, the VT4CD being the younger of the two. The brown console on the stage looked a bit EMI to me but I might be wrong.

Danny
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 1:32 pm   #25
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Thanks for the info Danny; there's a BV30C on the 'radiomuseum' site.

For anyone who hasn't seen the documentary it's on iplayer...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...nd_the_Scenes/

Just a few more screen shots from that program for the camera enthusiasts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cameras2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	44629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameras3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	44630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameras4.jpg
Views:	56