UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2005, 1:26 pm   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Picture Flicker/Pulsating - 1940's Marconi - what would cause this?

I'm just curious about a rather unusual thing which happens on oen of my TV sets. It's not really a serious fault, I'm more curious as to the reason for it happening.

The set concerned is a 1940's Marconi, it works well and displays a good picture, however if the brightness or contrast are advanced too far the picture flickers or pulsates, as soon as the brightness or contrast are lowered the problem goes away.

Any ideas what is likely to cause this and how it can be cured? It's not a major problem as I just keep the brightness down, but I would like to know why it happens and how it can be cured.

Peter.
Old 7th Sep 2005, 5:47 pm   #2
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Picture Flicker/Pulsating - What would cause this?

I've already replaced all of the capacitors, I did wonder if the EHT rectifier valve would be worth replacing though? I don't have an oscilloscope I'm afraid, but I'll have a check of the voltages reaching the tube. I'm not sure I have any way of checking the EHT voltage though, how is this usually checked?

Peter.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 18th Jun 2007 at 11:51 am. Reason: Tidy-up for archive
Old 7th Sep 2005, 7:25 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hi Peter,
If the focus and picture size is ok at low brilliance but tends to 'flick' in and out of focus possibly with an increase in picture size your EHT is breaking down under high beam current. If the set you have the problem with is mains derived EHT [Your VC52DA?] it may be due to a failing EHT rectifer possibly a U33.
Another possibility is a part disconnected final anode connection INSIDE the CRT. This is often only a thin layer of conductive paint and can break down with rectifier failure. Often a series resisitor is wired in series with the final anode lead to prevent this under overload conditions. Check this also. TAKE GREAT CARE WITH THE EHT CIRCUIT. It won't take any prisoners if you come into contact with it. If the CRT is faulty you can often hear a slight 'popping' sound from around the area of the CRT's EHT connector with the brightness turned up.
If the set is of the 1807 [PLEASE NO!] series with flyback eht the rectifier in this case is a U35. As the current supplied is VERY small with this model there can be other reasons for the symptoms described....Many reasons.! Worried for your safety....JOHN.
Old 7th Sep 2005, 9:29 pm   #4
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Hello John,

Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate your advice. The focus and picture size is indeed fine.

It is indeed the Marconi which does use mains derived EHT, interestingly the service data says that the EHT rectifier should be a U33, but it has a U22 fitted, I've ordered a replacement U33 so hopefuly thay may do the trick.

I'll have a look and see if it has a series resistor fitted, if not is this a modification I could make myself to the circuitry to add one? There are some resistors wired around the area of the two 0.02 EHT condensers, do these perhaps perform this function?

Thanks also for the timely reminder about the mains derived EHT, I am treating that with great respect and have no intention of putting my hands inside the set whilst switched on, however you can't be too careful with this sort of thing.

If I can eliminate the EHT circuitry and it turns out to be the CRT then I suspect that may be a difficult one to replace. Any ideas where I can find a suitable 10" CRT? I haven't heard any popping sounds from the CRT.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how things progress once the U33 has been replaced.

Peter.
Old 10th Sep 2005, 11:33 am   #5
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Well a new U33 has solved the problem!!

Thanks for the help.

Peter.
Old 10th Sep 2005, 4:55 pm   #6
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, the U22 needs more heater current. Maybe the heater voltage breaks
down with the U22. Did you change the sockets too? They don't look
the same.

Would like to see a few pics of your work. The sets you have are definitely
interesting to see.

Kind regards
Darius

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 18th Jun 2007 at 11:52 am. Reason: Tidy-up for archive
Old 10th Sep 2005, 5:06 pm   #7
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Hi Darius,

Well the U33 certainly seems to have solved the problem. Thankfully I didn't have to change the valve holder, both have a standard 4-pin base and so, as far as the valve holder is concerned, they are interchangable.

Next time I get the sets apart I'll certainly take some more pictures of the insides, for now though I can attach a picture of the outside of each set to the appropriate thread. Here's the Marconi:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone  VRC52A 405 Line TV Set & Combined Radio.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1419  
Closed Thread