UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2021, 3:19 am   #1
lazythread
Pentode

Default Tannoy Variluctance Stylus

I have one of these cartridges and the rubber suspension blocks are loose. They are still soft and pliable after all these years, so I want to resecure them before getting a new tip fitted, the old one is missing.

Can anyone suggest a suitable adhesive that won't attack the rubber please? Also, should I glue both the top and bottom of the blocks, or just the bottom where they attach to the base, leaving the top, under the cantilever, free. It's difficult to see any evidence of old glue there.

I have tried searching this forum but nothing has come up and there appear to be no new ones anywhere. The cartridge gives a nice strong output when you stroke the cantilever.

Thanks.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 10:11 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Tannoy Variluctance Stylus

Since you are getting the thing retipped anyway, why not talk to Expert Stylus Company first? I expect they have experience of this sort of operation.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 2:38 pm   #3
lazythread
Pentode

Default Re: Tannoy Variluctance Stylus

Why didn't I think of that? Whoops.

Thanks
Closed Thread