UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2021, 4:21 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Creda Tumble Dryer question.

And it goes without saying that the vent hose is best pointed outside, via a hole in the wall. You can drill a hole with a special core drill, or remove a rectangular, brick-height piece and fit a termination kit for a neat job. I've seen people run dryers with the hose just firing into the room, which is a recipe for condensation and mould.

Also, check that the lint filter is present and intact. If it isn't, the machine will clog-up with fluff in no time. This filter should be cleaned before every use. With practice, the fluff can be scooped up using your fingertips and put straight into the bin, with minimal mess in just a few seconds.

And yes, don't leave un-attended. Mine is in a former coalshed attached to the outside of the house, so I have a thermal fire alarm in there for added peace of mind.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 5:35 pm   #22
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
I've become the owner of a Creda tumble dryer.

My neighbour recently moved house and doesn't have room for two separate laundry appliances in her new kitchen. So she's treated herself to a fancy new Hoover wifi connected washer dryer - which I can't see the point of, personally!

Anyway, I've got her old Creda Simplicity dryer.

I've never ever had a tumble dryer before, but I know how they work. Unfortunately, she couldn't find the instruction manual, so I don't know what the spoked disc is meant to do.

I found it behind the vent 'cap' on the front of the machine.

It had been 'permanently plumbed' into a vent through the wall from the back.

There are two choices of vent exit - front and back.

But! What's it for?
You did well!
The machine looks very well kept. Once you start using it, you'll wonder how you went so long without one.
BTW, the British machines are much smaller than the US makes.
Dave, USradcoll1 Enjoy using your new machine!
Old 30th Nov 2021, 5:58 pm   #23
Glowing Bits!
Octode

If the OP doesn't fancy drilling any holes in the wall, there are boxes available for the pipe to couple to, it will turn it into a condenser dryer.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 6:38 pm   #24
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Thanks, Rick.

I've been looking into that option.

Peter.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 6:44 pm   #25
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Thank you, US Dave!

I know pretty much everyone in America has a clothes dryer.

Is it true that you aren't allowed to hang clothes out on a washing line in your country?

Or is that just a silly myth that I've heard of?

Anyway, it's always good to hear from you!

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 30th Nov 2021 at 6:50 pm.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 8:49 pm   #26
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I've identified a bit of a fault with this dryer.

It works perfectly well most of the time, tumbling backwards and forwards as it should.

But sometimes it stalls when it should start to tumble in the clockwise direction, and just buzzes until the timer switches it back to the anticlockwise tumble, which it very readily does.

So, what's going on, do you think?

Is the motor just very tired? Or could it be something more complicated like a capacitor failing?

I am clueless about electrical stuff, so just very basic ideas about what might be going on would be welcome.

I'm an absolute layman when it comes to circuitry, so please bear that in mind if you reply!

Thanks so much.

Peter.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 9:20 pm   #27
duncanlowe
Nonode

Sounds like it could be worn brushes on the motor, maybe? Certainly have come acropss a motor buzzing rather than turning with worn brushes, on a washing machine.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 9:50 pm   #28
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post

Also, check that the lint filter is present and intact. If it isn't, the machine will clog-up with fluff in no time. This filter should be cleaned before every use. With practice, the fluff can be scooped up using your fingertips and put straight into the bin, with minimal mess in just a few seconds.

I've found it helps with removing the fluff from the mesh if your fingers are slightly damp as they will be just after loading the machine. The fluff then just sticks slightly to a finger or two making it easy to "get started" just by drawing gently across the fluff's surface.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Nov 2021, 10:47 pm   #29
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Had similar happen with ours, the capacitor was knackered, a random one was fitted and has worked for many years without any more faults.
Whilst it may work in a fashion at the moment, it's likely not to in due course, a stuck motor will overheat very quickly!
Old 1st Dec 2021, 1:01 am   #30
McMurdo
Dekatron

These credas (hotpoints) usually have Jackson/GEC AC motors (no brushes) with a seperate start winding from a current-operated relay, (like a fridge compressor) so the reversing is done by a contact on the timer itself. If it works one way but not the other I would suspect the contact on the timer which swaps one winding over. The reversair models are unkind to the contacts in the motor circuit as they are always starting/stopping/starting again etc.

Old 1st Dec 2021, 3:51 am   #31
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Thank you, US Dave!

I know pretty much everyone in America has a clothes dryer.

Is it true that you aren't allowed to hang clothes out on a washing line in your country?

Or is that just a silly myth that I've heard of?

Anyway, it's always good to hear from you!
Peter: It's not a silly myth! Some areas require a form of a drying rack that can be easily removed after the laundry is dry. It's usually an association rule so the landscaper can maintain the grass, etc. The place I live at, owns the lot, but not the home. They don't allow any outside drying.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 1st Dec 2021, 3:59 am   #32
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post

I've found it helps with removing the fluff from the mesh if your fingers are slightly damp as they will be just after loading the machine. The fluff then just sticks slightly to a finger or two making it easy to "get started" just by drawing gently across the fluff's surface.
I use dryer sheets. When the drying cycle is finished, I use the used sheet to gather the lint (fluff). I never fail to clean the filter after each load.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 14th Dec 2021, 6:15 pm   #33
McMurdo
Dekatron

You'll find the creda tries to suck dryer sheets into the filter, venting the meadow-fresh aroma straight outside unless you fasten it to a sock or other small garment with a safety pin.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 6:00 pm   #34
Lancs Lad
Heptode

This tumble dyer of mine (20 odd years old) only has an almost dry poly-cotton duvet cover inside it right now. So, hardly any weight if the motor is struggling.

It sounds perky enough when it's tumbling clockwise. But sounds awfully tired when tumbling anti-clockwise.

And sometimes won't even start, when it has to start turning anti-clockwise again and just buzzes until I open the door and give the drum a spin with my hand to get it going again.

So, what's wearing out? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 30th Dec 2021 at 6:06 pm.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 9:21 pm   #35
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Creda Tumble Dryer question.

It sounds like either the brushes are sticking in their holders or it could be that the belt has stretched a bit and is fine going one way but not the other if there is a tensioner releasing it or the belt stretching has made it come to the end of its travel.

Personally I don't think the motor would have stalled as it would take a lot of current and overheated the windings. There is no burning smell?

I think the only sure way to find out is by removing the back and seeing what happens when it operates.

I think it shouldn't be too difficult to get a replacement belt. I recall that ELECTRUEPART supply quite a big range of washing machine and tumble dryer spares

Christopher Capener
Old 31st Dec 2021, 3:48 pm   #36
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Thanks, Christopher (HVH!) for your considered reply.

I don't think it's the belt that's at fault, but, obviously, I could be wrong.

There's no smell of overheating - in fact I don't think the heating elements are even energised when the buzzing is happening.

The internal temperature certainly doesn't feel overly hot when I open the door to give the drum an encouraging shove!

It's almost like it can't decide what to do next. Could it be a timer fault?

Or is that something that doesn't happen?

As I've said before, I'm clueless with stuff like this. Even as basic as a clockwork controlled tumble dryer

Peter.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 8:10 am   #37
JonSnell
Hexode

The older driers use a phase shift syncronous motor. The phase shift is caused by a run/start capacitor. Depending on which pole the capacitor is connected to, determines the rotation; clockwise or anticlockwise.
Some used one capacitor and a relay control, some used two capacitors and a relay, some used one capacitor and a control thyristor etc.
No idea without the actual model but if you google the model number and find 'manulsonline' you should find your answer.
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 11:47 am   #38
Sideband
Dekatron

I've found that the motor-run capacitors seem to get tired fairly quickly. I just scrapped an Indesit that I had for some time and I had changed the run capacitor twice in that in 10 years. It too had the classic 'buzzing' noise when trying to start. Easy to change, readily available from a number of sources and less than a tenner (cheaper from some sources but make sure it's a 'run' capacitor and not a 'start' capacitor).
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 3:54 pm   #39
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I've found that the motor-run capacitors seem to get tired fairly quickly. I just scrapped an Indesit that I had for some time and I had changed the run capacitor twice in that in 10 years. It too had the classic 'buzzing' noise when trying to start. Easy to change, readily available from a number of sources and less than a tenner (cheaper from some sources but make sure it's a 'run' capacitor and not a 'start' capacitor).
Had the same with ours, it lasted about 10 years before deciding to struggle with rotating in both directions, a quick capacitor change with an existing, albeit wrong value, capacitor sorted that problem out.