UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2021, 2:57 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Counting Components

Fine resolution electronic scales are wonderful for paint mixing.

In the old school method you weighed or measured out amounts of base colours and tints, but it went wrong because you couldn't pour all the liquid out of the measuring cups.

With high resolution, you get the final container on a scale and add paints and tints to get the right weight increases. Nothing wastes in measuring containers, no errors from same.

It's a fine example of the value of high accuracy electronics and digital techniques to an area you wouldn't have thought of.

Saves cleaning, too.

David
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 1:44 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

My culinary repertoire may be limited, but when making (say) a Pot Noodle, it's the digital scales I reach for rather than the measuring jug (or guesswork).
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 1:57 pm   #23

Brilliant tip, solves the "Add 200ml of boiling water" problem for Smash making.

Old 24th Apr 2021, 4:09 pm   #24
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
when making (say) a Pot Noodle
I’ve often wondered what a Pot Noodle is made from though perhaps it’s better not to ask...
Old 24th Apr 2021, 6:27 pm   #25
Mooly
Octode

A flyer from one of our well know suppliers came through the door today. Digital pocket scales, under £3 although there is VAT to go on that but get this... resolution to 0.01g.

Talking of pot noodles...

I use scales to divide packet of things like rice and so on into portions and I'm surprised the number of times I get an underweight product. For example 120g (E) packets normally weigh in at about 127g but occasionally I get one at say 121g.

A 600g soup normally weighs in at about 650g in its carton from memory and recently I had one weigh in at just 605g

I have two sets of scales which seem to agree to the gram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	232527   Click image for larger version

Name:	W2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	232528   Click image for larger version

Name:	W3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	232529   Click image for larger version

Name:	W4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	232530   Click image for larger version

Name:	W5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	232531  

Old 24th Apr 2021, 6:45 pm   #26
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Hope not getting too OT, but I am referring to digital scales. I have used mine for counting purposes, albeit only very approximate.
Underweight purchases? Complain to the retailer. Make sure you keep the receipt as well. Reputable ones will apologise, maybe offer a small "reward". The cowboys will ignore you or worse still give arrogant replies.
Yes, I had one a few weeks back from one of the big 5. I haven't returned!
When visiting the local PO before lockdown, I used to write on any parcel or padded bag the weight my digital scales gave and the postage cost. Surprising just how close they were to the PO ones. Despite mine being maybe 15 years old.
However, once I was told my parcel was in the next higher charge band. I knew the cashier and said I don't think so. She did a check and the scales were way out. Unfortunately it meant she had to close the counter, the only one in this particular store! I had to travel an extra mile to post!
Rob
Old 24th Apr 2021, 7:50 pm   #27
Mooly
Octode

Bad luck on having to go the extra mile... literally

On a positive note it is gratifying to see how accurate and repeatable these cheap scales are.

I only started taking pictures of the underweight stuff a week or so back, not that I was trying to catch them out but purely because I weigh them to separate them out.
Old 24th Apr 2021, 10:37 pm   #28
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
A flyer from one of our well know suppliers came through the door today. Digital pocket scales, under £3 although there is VAT to go on that but get this... resolution to 0.01g.

Talking of pot noodles...

I use scales to divide packet of things like rice and so on into portions and I'm surprised the number of times I get an underweight product. For example 120g (E) packets normally weigh in at about 127g but occasionally I get one at say 121g.

A 600g soup normally weighs in at about 650g in its carton from memory and recently I had one weigh in at just 605g

I have two sets of scales which seem to agree to the gram.
You might want to read this:
https://www.gov.uk/weights-measures-...packaged-goods

Now can we get this back on topic

Cheers

Mike T
Old 25th Apr 2021, 4:03 am   #29
Refugee
Dekatron

Those green beans in post#25 are in a vented pack and will still be loosing water by perspiring and if the photo was taken on the message date will have given off quite a bit of moisture over 4 days. They allow a bit extra so that they will be up to weight long enough to make the date printed on the pack.
Old 25th Apr 2021, 8:01 am   #30
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
When visiting the local PO before lockdown, I used to write on any parcel or padded bag the weight my digital scales gave and the postage cost. Surprising just how close they were to the PO ones. Despite mine being maybe 15 years old.
However, once I was told my parcel was in the next higher charge band. I knew the cashier and said I don't think so. She did a check and the scales were way out. Unfortunately it meant she had to close the counter, the only one in this particular store! I had to travel an extra mile to post!
Rob
One of the lost packets of MiniMod boards, the one with 5 boards in, has just turned up with a sticker on saying fee to pay, overweight.
That one I took to my local postoffice and they weighed it and stamped it.
I will be going in and asking them to check their scales.

Peter
Old 25th Apr 2021, 10:39 am   #31
Cobaltblue

As we are now on beans etc it's gone well off the original topic so time to close.
Closed Thread