UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2021, 9:02 am   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default The Pye story

I came across this excellent website by chance, well worth a visit.
https://www.pye-story.org/home

Mark
Old 28th Mar 2021, 10:16 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: The Pye story

As expected there is no reference to Pye Export Ltd - P O Box 55, Cambridge - or any of
the Pye export (PE) series of radios.
Old 28th Mar 2021, 11:53 am   #3
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Hello.
Thanks Mark for posting i have enjoyed it.

Kevin.
Old 28th Mar 2021, 1:49 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
As expected there is no reference to Pye Export Ltd - P O Box 55, Cambridge - or any of
the Pye export (PE) series of radios.
It's possible they just don't have any information or that they have limited the scope to what they have time and resource to implement.

If you have information I am sure they would welcome your input.

I have spent decades trying to pull Cossor information together its a truly thankless task

Cheers

Mike T
Old 28th Mar 2021, 6:39 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Good to see they go sensibly into the "Pye Telecom" mobile-radio side: one of my business-contacts there in the 1980s said "for the last 30 years the mobile-radio side has been Pye's prime profit-centre - we're the guys who've been bringing in the sustainable cash-flow that's kept the rest of the business afloat".
Old 31st Mar 2021, 10:46 am   #6
knobtwiddler
Octode

Crikey. The whole Pye saga unfolded a little before my time, so this site has filled in the gaps. How many UK manufacturers befell a similar fate? Where would you start? Reading the 'acquisition' page doesn't exactly lift ones mood...

I think they have done a great job, and wouldn't expect the folk behind the site to have perfect 100% coverage - there will always be holes when it comes to documenting an organisation with such a diverse array of products. One interesting footnote might be that in the modern era, some of the classic Pye pro-audio equipment is extremely desirable, with originals fetching silly money (into a few thousand for a mono compressor / limiter). Things have been at a point where several small firms (including ones in the USA) have marketed modern clones of Pye gear. Much of the original equipment now lives overseas, in the hands of wealthy music producers.

edit - good grief! A quick search has revealed a single mono compressor, located in LA, where the seller is asking for £6K... It has 4 knobs and a what I presume is an Ernest Turner meter.

edit - said compressor is sold 'as described'. Better make sure you have a scope and iron handy once you've parted with your £6K!!

Last edited by knobtwiddler; 31st Mar 2021 at 10:52 am.
Old 31st Mar 2021, 12:45 pm   #7
AlanC
Hexode

That's a great find! As an ex Pye Telecom employee I'm very pleased with the credit they give us for bringing in the money!
Old 5th Apr 2021, 11:31 am   #8
jonnybear
Octode

I always feel sad as to the demise of our manufacturers, Perhaps with what is happening in the world today we have a resurgence, lets hope so. Great read by the way.
John
Closed Thread