UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2021, 12:02 pm   #1
oldbury863
Triode

Default Bush TR82C Repaint

Hi, this is my frst post on here so fingers crossed for a result! I've aquired a Bush TR82C is working very well but has suffered such extreme yellowing from UV over its 50-60 yrs that its actually become very brown. It doesnt clean off and even t-cut doesnt penetrate deep enough so Ive decided that the best thing to do is to re paint it. I dont know what colour would be fairly close to the original, I've looked at RAL 1013 oyster white but I just wondered if anyone else has previously had any sucess (or otherwise) in choice of paint colour/brand with this job?
Old 14th Jan 2021, 1:45 pm   #2
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Re: Bush TR82C Repaint

Have you considered Retrobright?
Old 14th Jan 2021, 3:26 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Here is one I restored and painted some time ago , I was a brown and cream juk, not to every ones taste but I like it , if you want to make a good job of it there is a lot of work involved , you will have to remove the dial .some come off no trouble ,some you have to apply a little heat to loosen the glue ,and the lettering of course, the case needs to be washed to remove all traces of polish etc ,plastic primed ,and then the finish to the colour you choose , I would recommend Plastikote as some solvent based paints may react with the the plastic.I also dyed the sides which were brown using a shoe dye a dark blue was chosen for this good luck. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0061.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	224571  

Last edited by vinrads; 14th Jan 2021 at 3:32 pm.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 9:58 pm   #4
oldbury863
Triode

Thanks for replies, I may well have a go with the hydrogen peroxide method, Ive never heard of it before. It looks like no products are available off the shelf specifically for this job but I'll check out the Pharmacy for hair products. Its got to be worth a try before the going down the re-painting route.
Richard
Old 24th Feb 2021, 9:56 pm   #5
tim.norris
Hexode

Richard , B and M bargains stock B Blonde Hydrogen peroxide , though as a 60 year old bloke with hardly any hair I get some strange looks from the checkout girl ! One bottle goes a long way , £1.30 . Take a look at my post , Bush TR82 Retrobright Test . Regards, Tim.
Old 26th Feb 2021, 12:36 am   #6
Tractionist
Heptode

Home Bargains do it too ..... dirt cheap and works well [when the sun's out].
Old 26th Feb 2021, 3:58 pm   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I got a load of hydrogen peroxide on eBay, where it's commonly available. I was using it to make WHO hand sanitiser where the hydrogen peroxide is for disinfecting the mixture prior to bottling. It does decay in UV light so it's recommended to keep it in a dark glass or opaque bottle. I'm going to get some more for my own efforts at Retrobright as it seems a pretty nifty technique! I'll be glad to hear of your experiences.
Closed Thread