UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2021, 11:34 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Hardware

Washers available again - get down to Screwfix! Towards the start of lockdown last year I was working with Men In Sheds, restoring donated bicycles. Several metric (coarse) threads are encountered on a bike, with M5 being the favourite for attaching accessories to the frame, like mudguards and racks. I was always struggling to find suitable washers for the screws so I peeled off and went to Screwfix with my latest catalogue, which had become out of date the day before so they didn't have the large flat washers in BZP. Next time I went I was jubilant to find several packs in the 'discontinued' bin. They had been selling them only in packs of 10 which is silly and I had recently searched eBay for the equivalent product but none were forthcoming. ebay.de had almost identical washers in packs of 100 - great! until I saw the price, about €1 per washer . Of course you can get British Standard Washers anywhere, but the outer diameter is no bigger than the screw head, while Penny Washers are twice the diameter you need

But now they're back in stock and in packs of 100, yay! Also all the other metric sizes you need. I find you need reasonable-size BZP washers for most radio restoration projects, and these also fit well on 0, 2 and 4BA screws

Screwfix stock numbers: 413FT, 871FT, 194FT, 656FT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screwfix Washer.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	235660  

It's good here

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 10th Jun 2021 at 11:03 am. Reason: Rules C2 and 3
Old 10th Jun 2021, 8:23 pm   #2
wireman
Heptode

Default Re: Hardware

The last time I purchased washers it was from Westfield Fasteners. The price seems to vary dramatically in non-obvious relation with style/material/size.
Some lines have a bulk price for 2000, 5000, 10000 quantities.

I have no connection with this company but have ordered a few times from them when filling out selection boxes of screws etc.
Old 10th Jun 2021, 9:36 pm   #3
Alistair D
Nonode

Had the same problem recently. While searching I noticed that a couple of sites were calling them M8 form G as well as penny washers. It turns out that a standard has been set that defines the outside diameter and thickness. More information on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(hardware)

Scroll down to type and form.

The standard applies to all makers so one company's Form C washer is the same as everyone else's. Tables for the different forms are readily available on the internet.

You learn something new every day.

Al
Old 10th Jun 2021, 11:40 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

That Wikipedia article (when you find it) actually refers to iron as a non ferrous metal

You can't get much more ferrous than iron!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Jun 2021, 12:49 pm   #5
Alistair D
Nonode

Not sure what is happening with that link. The URL is correct but when you click on it the closing bracket gets left off. If the address in your browser does not have a closing bracket at the end add it and hit enter.

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 11th Jun 2021 at 1:03 pm.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 3:38 pm   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I think in highlighting the link to create the URL you missed off the closing parenthesis. I've re-done it below so let's see if that works!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(hardware)
Old 11th Jun 2021, 4:13 pm   #7
Alistair D
Nonode

In that case I made the same mistake twice. In the first iteration of post #5 I redid the link and the same thing happened. Oh well its sorted now. Lets stay on topic.

Thanks
Al
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 11:28 pm   #8
Julesomega
Nonode

Sorry, I omitted to give the OD in my original post: the M5 size is the most useful, not only for bicycles but also for vintage radios and will also fit 2BA, and has an OD of 15mm

It's good here
Closed Thread