UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2021, 7:38 pm   #1
Paul Mathew
Pentode

Default A Tale Of Two Philips

Here's a happy ending! These two Philips B3X08A sets came in for restoration, more or less simultaneously (what are the chances!?) . One had a missing dial glass, with a crudely made perspex plate. Fortunately I could have a duplicate dial plate made from the good one, which I contracted out, as that kind of thing is above my pay grade. Not exactly like the original, but a vast improvement. A vinyl sticker on perspex.
I recapped the usual culprits, electrolytics and paper caps. The main electrolytic cans were left in place as they support the ferrite bar antenna.
Both sets developed the same issue after turn on (what are the chances!?) . About 3 minutes into playing, the volume faded and any attempt to turn up the volume resulted in distortion. After posting my query about this on this forum, it was diagnosed as leaking EL84 output valves. Since I laid my hands on replacements they play perfectly.
The closest schematic I could find was the Philips B3X02A. Close enough! https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_b3x02a.html
Another minor change was fitting an RCA socket to bypass the original (unusual) socket for the pick-up input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philps Pair Before.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	224480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_141217.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	224481   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_151552.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	224482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201211_094900_HDR.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	224483   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_152148.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	224484  

Old 12th Jan 2021, 11:56 pm   #2
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: A Tale Of Two Philips

Oh, they're nice Paul – I like those!

Good work on getting a dial made. Any reason for the change of colour (I like the blue, but I like the green better)?
Old 13th Jan 2021, 4:02 am   #3
Paul Mathew
Pentode

Default Re: A Tale Of Two Philips

Hi Wellington,
I was charged a nominal amount by a friend, so I allowed total artistic licence!
The artwork is going through some tweaking, so I'll ask about the colour, as I share your sentiment.
I requested additional printing below the knobs to indicate their function, which unfortunately is covered by the same! (didn't think that one through!)
The knobs aren't original as you can see, so it's back to the drawing board. Smaller knobs may work, or a reprint of the vinyl with the printing above the knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210113_045430.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	224507  
Old 16th Jan 2021, 4:40 am   #4
Colin Ames
Tetrode

They are nice looking radios.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 4:06 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Nice looking work! The one in the first picture has the same knobs and buttons as a radiogram I saved a few years ago.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 4:11 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Yes, they are attractive radios. They are export sets which were never sold in the UK.

The Radiomuseum link in #1 claims the B3X02A is from Philips Belgium, but an 'X' code normally indicates an export set from Philips HQ in Eindhoven, made for sale in countries where there was no local Philips subsidiary.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 3:20 am   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

The X means the model was commercially specified in Eindhoven but does in no way indicate a particular destination or physical origin. Neither do other letters in the model number, though foreign models were often specified in the country where they were made and sold, for example BxGxx sets were mostly made and sold in the UK.

A set with an X in the model number could either be for the local Dutch/Belgian/... market, the general market or some particular export destination, depending on the execution number /xx behind the basic model number. This also goes more or less for sets with other letters.

The country of origin (mostly country of manufacture) can be determined by looking at the letters in front of the serial number. For sets like this: PL = Leuven, Belgium, E = Eindhoven, The Netherlands (used up to the mid 1950's), A = Acht near Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Acht was the main distribution centre built in the mid 1950's, not an actual factory. Most sets that were labeled there, came from the Eindhoven factory but there were some exceptions especially for second brand sets.

That was a rather roundabout way of saying, this set is indeed from Belgium. I can just make out the letters PL in front of the serial number.

P.S. I can see an execution number on the label, but can't read it. I'm a bit curious as to the destination of these sets. Maybe the OP could post some pictures in which the labels are readable?

Last edited by Maarten; 23rd Jan 2021 at 3:33 am.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 12:00 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Thanks for the explanatiom Maarten.
Closed Thread