UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2022, 10:37 am   #1
Illanadolls
Diode

Default Elizabethan Astronaut sound help please

Hiya all
I have recently purchased this beautiful record player and am struggling with the sound.
It seems that the vocals are very quiet compared to the backing music, which is kind of overpowering it. I’ve tried adjusting the tone, which doesn’t seem to help much.
I’ve cleaned the needle, which improved it slightly but I just can’t get the balance right.
Any ideas? A friend suggested potentially replacing the needle and cartridge and maybe using a stereo cartridge and not a mono one () I’m a complete newbie to this and it’s like a foreign language.
Please help. Thanks in advance
Old 28th Jul 2022, 11:12 am   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Elizabethan Astronaut sound help please

Yes. If you're playing stereo records I would say you'd be better using a stereo cartridge, you might get some cancellation effects on some recordings. That's how some karaoke machines were able to reduce the vocal on the recording allowing you to sing along, albeit they did it electronically.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 11:24 am   #3
Illanadolls
Diode

Thanks Kevin
If I change it to a stereo cartridge, will my old mono records sound ok?
Also, don’t suppose you know what to look for and where to buy? I’m a complete newbie and have no clue what I’m doing haha!
Old 28th Jul 2022, 11:36 am   #4
af024
Octode

I wonder if it already has a stereo cartridge, but one channel has been reversed. If the vocals are recorded centre stage, then presumably if one channel has been cross-wired, that would take the vocals out.

I guess some photos of the cartridge and its wiring would help.

Regards,

Andy
Old 28th Jul 2022, 2:23 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

We've an earlier thread on the Astronaut, assuming it's the same model -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=160118 -

identifying the cartridge as the BSR X5M, a mono cartridge but fully compatible with stereo records - it seems very unlikely that anyone will have fitted an older non-compatible type. With a mono record player I'm not clear how a stereo cartridge might be wired to avoid the possibility of cancellation effects - clearly using just one channel of its output would alter the listening experience in an undesirable way (exactly like silencing one speaker of a stereo system).

Others may have a better idea than I do of how well X5Ms tend to be performing now they're a few decades old.

Paul
Old 28th Jul 2022, 2:49 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

It seems you posted twice and both were accidentally deleted due to duplication can you re-post the pictures please.

You need to allow a little time as you are still on Pre-mod to allow posts to be approved

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 28th Jul 2022 at 3:06 pm. Reason: OP posted pictures,
Old 28th Jul 2022, 3:25 pm   #7
Illanadolls
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
It seems you posted twice and both were accidentally deleted due to duplication can you re-post the pictures please.

You need to allow a little time as you are still on Pre-mod to allow posts to be approved

Cheers

Mike T
Will do, thank you
Old 28th Jul 2022, 3:27 pm   #8
Illanadolls
Diode

Here are some pictures if that helps?
Old 28th Jul 2022, 3:51 pm   #9
Station X

Sorry, but there were no images attached to your post.

Use the preview button before submitting a post to make sure the pictures are there.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 4:52 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is a Mono basic Single-Chip amp so there's no point in fitting a Stereo cartridge to this. The specified BSR X5M is the ideal one and will safely play stereo LPs. It may be that the currently fitted cartridge is not tracking properly? Can the OP advise us how does it sound on Mono records?
Old 28th Jul 2022, 5:03 pm   #11
john600601
Pentode

If the vocals are quiet this indicates a stereo cartridge is fitted and has either gone faulty on one channel OR if a mono cartridge was originally fitted, the wires on the tag strip on the underside of the deck have not been joined together to combine L and R channels of the new cartridge. It is simple to do, maybe post a photo of the cartridge so we can see what we are dealing with. It's not a serious problem.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 5:08 pm   #12
Station X

I was able to see the images before they disappeared and it's definitely a mono cartridge with the two spare wires running down the arm tucked back as per usual practice.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 9:28 pm   #13
Tim
Dekatron

Paul RK. I have come across a few players where exactly that was done. One wire to “ top left pin on cartridge, top right linked to bottom left with wire strap, other wire to bottom right. Seemed to work OK.

Last edited by Tim; 28th Jul 2022 at 9:51 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2022, 7:31 am   #14
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I have come across a few players where exactly that was done. One wire to “ top left pin on cartridge, top right linked to bottom left with wire strap, other wire to bottom right. Seemed to work OK.
I have too, but just as a way of using a fitted stereo cartridge with a single channel amplifier. My puzzlement is as to how, as per Kevin (McMurdo)'s post above, the result when playing stereo records might be intrinsically better than an equivalent mono cartridge.
Closed Thread