UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2022, 7:57 pm   #1
nigelgstevens
Diode

Default Yaesu FT290R Display Repair

Like many owners of FT290's mine had a display fault. Unfortunately there are no replacement parts available so I set about designing my own display.

I have used cheap, readily available parts and published the design, software and detailed instructions here https://g6rzr.com/?page_id=1281

I'm happy to answer questions about the project and I hope it helps a few other restore their radios.

Nigel G6RZR
Old 29th Sep 2022, 8:09 pm   #2
mickm3for
Heptode

Default Re: Yaesu FT290R Display Repair

Hi thank you my 290 has a disapering display thank you for this Mick
Old 29th Sep 2022, 8:52 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Thanks Nigel, not only a great project but very kind of you to make it freely available, hopefully will save a few otherwise scrap FT290s. There are also a legion of PURE DAB radio owners who would probably appreciate something similar for their radios where the OLED displays are a common failure, but that's another story.

There is at least one big Yaesu model with a VFD type display - possibly the FRG7700? - where the display driver ICs often conk out and aren't easily available, so if you are looking for your next radio based display rescue challenge that may be it.

I think the only thing I ever worry about with projects like this in radio equipment is the extent to which the uP circuit may or may not cause radio interference to the host equipment - I take it you haven't noticed any particular problems in that respect?
Old 30th Sep 2022, 6:01 pm   #4
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Now, that is what I call a generous gesture Nigel, not as though I'm actual interested myself. Ted
Closed Thread