UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2021, 1:56 pm   #21
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Marconi ship's radio.

Despite the absence of OP mikethetester, I can rarely resist the opportunity to photograph a set from my Roundtuit pile, so here's a picture of my Marconi Electra receiver which happens to be sitting at the bottom of one pile. I hope one day to do more than just photograph it, but I need to pursue the weightlifting classes first.

Interesting that Marconi supplied the hardware and the Radio Officer (RO) as a package. We did something similar at Kelvin Hughes. When I joined the company in 1985, we were just leaving that business as each of the RO contingent progressively came ashore. A number of my colleagues had been ROs, a profession which in its day required great technical versatility and resourcefulness as the variety of onboard electronics increased with growth of radar, electronic controls etc. Then the advent of Satcoms replaced HF marine radio requirements and GMDSS became the standard comms installation. Today, without the RO, onboard technical electronics resources are sadly depleted.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi Electra.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	248226  
Old 11th May 2022, 1:50 pm   #22
mogmaner
Triode

These are my Marconi set kestrel 111 and TGY1 + CR100
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200708_230024.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	256974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201219_135737-1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	256975  
Old 16th Sep 2022, 7:59 pm   #23
southwested
Diode

Just thought I would reopen this thread.
I run the Marconi International Marine Company facebook page mentioned in an earlier post and also collect Marconi Marine gear. If anyone has anything they no longer require in any condition please contact me as always on the lookout for equipment, manuals etc. I do have other marine radio's etc by ITT Mackay, Sailor, Decca, Redifon etc should anyone wish to swap items.

Regards
Ed Bennett
Old 16th Sep 2022, 8:16 pm   #24
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

I am after a Kestrel Transmitter schematic if anyone can help please?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=177976
Old 17th Sep 2022, 8:33 am   #25
southwested
Diode

I do have a collection of Marconi manuals so will have a trawl through for you.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 10:40 am   #26
David Simpson
Nonode

Have any of you ships radio enthusiasts tried the site I mentioned earlier - "Ships Nostalgia - the Radio Room"? Some great helpful guys & a wealth of information.
Ed, I don't remember asking you before, but I had a long running thread several years ago on BEME Ltd of Hythe, Southampton. And, after extensive searching, was never able to obtain manuals or circuit diagrams of their Loop Receivers,but have a fair bit of info on the actual company. Do you have anything, please? I still have three of them.
All my collection of "Coastal Radio" equipment & documentation has now been given to the Caithness ARS c/o James Duncan from this Forum, should anyone need info. Re Woodsons Radio info, (I used to work for them for a short while) - they hold a micro-fiche archive at their Aberdeen office. My Spey Tx & it's documentation also went to Caithness ARS.
Vintage marine radio equipment - a great pursuit, but when one is past 3 score years & ten - heffing heavy to hump about one's workshop.
Some years ago, a Marconi engineer from their Chelmsford factory (who I had been in touch with) actually witnessed, on their last day before final closure - a skipfull of documentation being set alight. I was researching a Reece-Mace Rx then but found SFA regarding documentation. Guess it also went up in smoke.

Regards, David
Old 17th Sep 2022, 5:13 pm   #27
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Hi David,

Glad to hear you managed to find the Caithness ARC some Coastal gear. I did offer them my SH6D receiver but the cost of shipping it to Wick from Norfolk was too much.

I acquired a Coastal 91/MX R/T set in 2019 but I still have not located a manual for it and I wonder if you had anything on that gear? It was marketed as the "Seafarer". Have had the 91/MX working on Top Band AM but need to make a proper PSU for it.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 18th Sep 2022, 11:01 am   #28
David Simpson
Nonode

Good to hear from you again Roger. 'Fraid I've nothing on the 91/MX, sorry.
Right enough, I'm lucky in having a family contact who sometimes travels up to Wick from Aberdeenshire. These HF Maritime R/T sets from the 50's/60's are a pleasure to restore, but they're heffing heavy, and need PSU's built for bench/shack use. Back in the day, the old fishing boats I worked on had 24V Rotary PSU's down in the engine rooms for Marconi/CR/Woodsons/etc stuff. However, once the likes of Sailor Radio gear became more popular - due to their inbuilt Inverter PSU's - those old rotary PSU's were dumped.

Regards, David
Old 21st Sep 2022, 12:56 pm   #29
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Thanks David,

The 91/MX is well down the "roundtuit" list so maybe I'll get lucky find a manual for it.

Roger
Old 6th Oct 2022, 1:28 pm   #30
bill knox
Hexode

Hi

I have a Marconi Guardian 111

It is in working order, there is no preselector unit with it but someone with a lot of time could rewind the coils and obtain the crystals

Bill
Old 9th Oct 2022, 1:55 pm   #31
Gridiron
Heptode

Picture of a very much earlier Marconi ship's radio I have, a 352A from the early 30s, only 2 triode valves, anode bend detector with reaction and LF valve, in working order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marconi 352A.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	265841  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 2:05 pm   #32
ms660
Dekatron

Very nice.

Lawrence.