UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2021, 4:14 pm   #1
stevie23
Pentode

Default Geloso G255 belt replacement

Hello all from South London.
My name is Steve. I am an old reel to reel and electronics nut who is currently repairing a few machines including a Geloso G255. It came with the mains cord cut so I assumed it had been cut for safety reasons. (I since have discovered the machine has a live chassis so have been careful. I did however plug IT in anD to my surprise, the magic eye came to life, I heard a crackle from the amplifier but upon pressing play (the green button obvs) there was a significant drag on the spool. I've opened him up and found that the band (there is only one band from the capstan to the take up spool) is very slack and is dried to the point of becoming stiff (thank god it's not turned to treacle - that black **** is murder to clean off...)
Has anyone dealt with replacing these belts? Do I have to dismantle the whole of the top of the machine to change the belt? Also, how do I make it "safe" - i.e. not a potential widow maker?

Thanks, regards, Steve.S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G255_200.png
Views:	82
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	230992  
Old 5th Apr 2021, 9:31 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Geloso G255 belt replacement

This Thread references the potential live chassis.

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...0EyhjRR_fNvjdh

David
Old 5th Apr 2021, 9:46 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

And another Thread.

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...ReNfX07LF8SnVD

David
Old 6th Apr 2021, 12:35 am   #4
stevie23
Pentode

yeah I've read these. thanks.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 4:55 am   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Do you have 'Geloso_Bollettino_Tecnico_57' ? I think it's on-line somewhere. It's in Italian but it covers the G255 and includes the circuit diagram and an exploded diagram of the mechanics. There doesn't seem to be explicit instructions for changing the belt but it might help.

It appears that the belt is used to drive the capstan form the motor with a rubber idler wheel to drive the spools. But I may not have read the diagram correctly.

Yes, it's live chassis! With the mains plug one way round it's live when running. With it the other way round it's live when stopped. According to that document I mentioned the official accessories included mains and audio isolating transformers.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 8:47 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

This link includes the PDF download for Tecnico 56/57 but this particulat document does not appear to cover the G255.

http://www.geloso.net/pagineIT/bolle...Var=bollettini

David
Old 6th Apr 2021, 8:54 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The link above does have some info the G255 in PDF downloads 63, 63A, 65 and 68 (and possibly others).

David
Closed Thread