UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2021, 5:04 pm   #1
RT 1006
Tetrode

Default Sourcing square section and flat section AV belts

I'm currently restoring a number of 1970's and 80's radio cassette players and tape decks that have been on the to do list for a long time. Unfortunately the hardest part has been sourcing suitable replacement drive belts.

I've got a couple of units that despite endless hours searching the net I just cannot find suitable belts for.

CPC have a reasonably good selection of belts listed but it's a bit hit or miss whether they have the ones required or not.

Previously places like JJ Components, Grandata, Sendz, CHS, Willow Vale etc would have been good for these sort of things but sadly these companies all seem to have gone.

In an attempt to hopefully get lucky I've bought a number of packs of mixed square section drive belts from Ebay sellers mostly in China. Unfortunately these belts all turn out to be of generally very poor quality and seem more likely to be just packs of rejects. They're just about OK for non critical applications such as tape counters but for anything else such as capstan drive they're rubbish.

There is a company on the net going by several different names one of which is GB Audio. This company appear to have a good comprehensive selection but I refuse to pay £10 per belt!

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a supplier with a good range of flat section and square section AV belts at sensible prices? I'm thinking I'm probably going to be looking outside of the UK.

Any help gratefully received.
Old 7th Feb 2021, 5:17 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Sourcing square section and flat section AV belts

I've bought a few of the belt packs from Chinese eBayers and they've been OK, but I know others have had similar experiences to you. There seems to be a lot of variability, so it's a bit of a lottery.

I'm planning to try this supplier next time I need capstan belts: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cassette-...s/324324012299

(No discussion of the seller please)
Old 7th Feb 2021, 6:16 pm   #3
RT 1006
Tetrode

Thanks for the above link Paul. That seller did come up in one of my many searches but for some reason I had overlooked their selection of flat belts.

They do have a good range at reasonable prices so it's all going to come down to quality. I've just this minute ordered some 5mm ones and will report back once I receive them.

Now I just need to find a good range of 1.5/1.65mm square belts.
Old 7th Feb 2021, 6:37 pm   #4
FRANK.C
Heptode

You could also try www.donberg.ie
They have some belts.

Frank
Old 7th Feb 2021, 7:36 pm   #5
RT 1006
Tetrode

Thanks for that link Frank.

I'm now going to have to own up to being a complete numpty. I had looked at Donberg a while back and didn't see the belt sizes that I wanted. What I also didn't notice was the 'show next 100 items' option at the bottom of the page and the choice of around 850 other belts listed!

I've just been through the complete list and it covers just about everything that I need and all very realistic prices as well. So much so that I think a few other restorations will be brought forward.

The only drawback is there's a 30 euro minimum order value and a 10 euro shipping charge plus probably vat on top so I'll just order up a few miscellaneous sizes to make up. With all the other random belts I've ordered from various places recently I'm soon going to be tripping over the things!
Old 7th Feb 2021, 7:55 pm   #6
FRANK.C
Heptode

I don't believe you will have to pay VAT as you are outside the EU but you may have to pay import duty.

Frank
Old 7th Feb 2021, 8:21 pm   #7
RT 1006
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK.C View Post
I don't believe you will have to pay VAT as you are outside the EU but you may have to pay import duty.

Frank
Yes I think you may be right there, I think goods have to be above a certain value before becoming liable for import duty but I'll have a check first just to see what any additional charges may be.
Old 7th Feb 2021, 9:29 pm   #8
paulsherwin

If I were you I'd order a few more of the Chinese packs from different suppliers. As I've said, the quality seems very variable, but they only cost a couple of quid so it's worth taking a chance. Anything that uses a thin square section belt to drive the capstan is likely to be pretty low end anyway, so the belt won't be critical so long as it doesn't snap.

In most cases, belt cross sections aren't critical.
Old 8th Feb 2021, 2:38 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

I have a similar problem, but this time it is reel to reel. I have two different ones on the pile where the capstan belt is a flat type, which is also about 2mm or more thick! Thinner ones just aren't man enough for the job.

On a recent low-end turntable requiring a long flat belt I didn't have, I ended up using an o- ring which are more robust, far easier to get hold of and likely to last much longer. I may consider machining a groove into the capstan flywheel on one of the reel to reels and try that out.
Old 8th Feb 2021, 3:32 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

The only problem with using a larger diameter belt for capstan drive with V pulleys is that it can affect the velocity ratio. Possibly not a problem if the motor speed is adjustable enough to compensate.
Old 14th Feb 2021, 11:14 pm   #11
RT 1006
Tetrode

An update on my AV belt sourcing saga.

Through the week I received the two belts I ordered from the Ebay seller in the link at post 2 above and the verdict is not good. Quite simply the belts are rubbish. They are of poor quality and so distorted that they are of no use as capstan belts, even when stretched out they remain distorted.

So far belts sourced from CPC have been by far the best quality and at around £1 each the most reasonably priced, the down side is their range is limited especially with regards to flat section belts.

My plan now is to order a number of belts from Donberg in the Republic of Ireland as they seem to have a quite extensive range and all the various sizes I need. I will report back in due course with regards to the quality of the products and also what additional charges I'll have to pay in relation to vat/tax/import fees etc, if any.

Stay tuned for further updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	226782  
Old 4th Apr 2021, 10:08 am   #12
RT 1006
Tetrode

An update on this post. Due to uncertainty over additional fees I decide not to order from Donberg.
Instead I ordered several 5mm flat belts from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-Wide-...53.m2749.l2649
Quality of the belts was very good and on a par with similar belts from CPC, in short I was very happy with them. They have a very good range of sizes of 4mm and 5mm flat belts and at around £2 each and with a discount for quantity the price is reasonable too. As they're coming from China you're obviously going to have to wait a couple of weeks but if you're in no rush then I recommend this seller and I'll be using them again in the future. From what I understand you can buy up to £15 worth of goods from China before potentially becoming liable for import charges.
Old 4th Apr 2021, 1:21 pm   #13
ortek_service
Octode

I discovered after buying a part in February for £11.68 from Russia via (the normal .co.uk version of) the online auction site, that they then automatically added VAT on top of this when going to payment which was a surprise.

And looking at the (.co,uk) online auction site's FAQ's about this, they said they were required since 1/1/2021 by UK Government to collect VAT on everything irrespective of value (although if it's > £150, then it seems it's down to you to do this, presumably as businesses are more likely to order higher amounts), on all items purchased outside the UK.
Plus it seems there was an EU-wide VAT exemption for low-value orders from China, but that was also to end in July 2021.
I've also heard the Chinese PCB companies are also now charging UK customers VAT on all orders.

Although at least this may avoid getting stung for an £8-12 Customs-collection Admin by the UK deliverer, that you could previously got stung for if it was assessed that order value was above the threshold for customs Charges (=20% VAT). However, extra cost has put me off buying anything else from outside the UK so far this year, as when the part arrived from Russia it wasn't clear on the CN22 Customs declaration label that I had already paid the additional import duty (=VAT) in advance, although I'm not sure how rigidly they will now be checking this when in the past many items were underdeclared on the label, even when below previous thresholds / a bit hit & miss if people were surcharged on ones above it.
Closed Thread