UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2020, 9:31 pm   #41
Umpa2016
Triode

Default Re: Ferguson TX9 Chassis

Ok so I thought I would post an update. I had an old friend look at it, and he has concluded after much work that L65 is at fault. I am looking to get this re-wound and am asking if anyone knows of a company that can do this.

Also asking if anyone has a TX9 chassis they don't need to sell - just in case mine can't be repaired.
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 9:32 am   #42
Umpa2016
Triode

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement board ?
I the guy who is working on it, seems to always be 'unavailable' - and I suspect I am going to have to cut my losses and get a replacement.
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 10:42 am   #43
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Can you post a picture of the board and highlight L65? I can't find my manual!
I have a couple of TX9s but they're portables I'm afraid.
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 12:36 pm   #44
Red to black
Nonode

L65 is the huge storage inductor on the MK1 and 2 TX9 (Thyristor PSU) Glyn, I have only ever had one that was faulty, even then it did not stop the set from working it was just running hotter than normal and was radiating black dots and dashes (spooks) on that particular sets picture.

Last edited by Red to black; 22nd Aug 2020 at 12:40 pm. Reason: missed word
Old 6th Sep 2020, 8:29 pm   #45
Umpa2016
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Can you post a picture of the board and highlight L65? I can't find my manual!
I have a couple of TX9s but they're portables I'm afraid.
Would you be willing to sell one ?
Old 7th Sep 2020, 10:21 am   #46
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'll have a look and see what I've got and their condition, but I think your set is a 20" which has some significant differences.
Like R2B I'd be very surprised if L65 was faulty, but of course at this age anything's possible. Have you still got the board or has it gone missing?
Old 7th Sep 2020, 10:35 pm   #47
jayceebee
Heptode

With a normal TX9 TV set I'm pretty sure as long as the set didn't have a Teletext decoder any version board could be used. The only circuit change required was to the beam limiter, in 18" sets and above R267 was shorted out by a link included on two pins of the four pin plug to the field scan coils.

In Umpa's case it would probably best to source a PC1001 version with the UPC1365 if he wants to go down the road of a board replacement due to the interfacing of the game electronics. I too also doubt L65 is damaged, possibly an HT short somewhere in the line output stage or the crowbar is firing.

John.

Last edited by jayceebee; 7th Sep 2020 at 10:41 pm.
Old 8th Sep 2020, 9:03 am   #48
Umpa2016
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I'll have a look and see what I've got and their condition, but I think your set is a 20" which has some significant differences.
Like R2B I'd be very surprised if L65 was faulty, but of course at this age anything's possible. Have you still got the board or has it gone missing?
The guy took it away, and I am just getting fob offs from him now. If I can get it back, would you be willing to take a look at it ? I don't know how likely it would be though as getting a working dialogue with him seems difficult.
Closed Thread