UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2021, 2:34 pm   #1
Dekatron
Octode

Default Service manual for Fluke PM6306 RCL Meter anyone?

I've recently bought a PM6306 with complete probe set and all documentation except the service manual.

I've Googled a lot and searched several forums but I've only found the PM6304 service manual at KO4BB which I was told was similar, but it turns out that there are a few differences, for instance on the front panel controls. I've also found the PM6303 service manual but it is of almost no use as it differs a lot to the PM6306.

Does anyone here know of a PM6306 service manual, either an original that I can buy or a copy/PDF?
Old 13th Jun 2021, 7:14 pm   #2
Trigon.
Hexode

Default Re: Service manual for Fluke PM6306 RCL Meter anyone?

I'd love to think there was one out there, but I've had my 6306 over ten years and have searched for a service manual on several occasions. I am afraid I've never found one for sale let alone a free download.

I was quite excited at first when I came across the 6304 manual, but the excitement faded when I found that the only common parts seem to be the PSU and the optional plug-in boards!

Cheers
Old 13th Jun 2021, 8:27 pm   #3
Dekatron
Octode

Ok, sad to hear that but then I know that I won't have to search too much for one. I might get mine to a calibration center close by to just check if it is still in calibration.

I have asked Fluke about the service manual just now and I'll see what they say.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 11:00 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Not a chance I'm afraid!

There's only one chap in Germany who's ever seen one and he refuses to let anybody even see this, let alone borrow it – I heard from the EEV Blog Forum he's also got the software that will reprogram the firmware in PM3394s and has refused to let that go as well!

I wish I had the funds to buy a PM6306 as I have the skill to be able to write and draw something (except for original Philips part nos) that would help but I cannot afford to buy one!

Chris Williams
Old 14th Jun 2021, 9:15 am   #5
Dekatron
Octode

Ok, maybe he's bound by some contract to Fluke not to share this.

I've also sent an email to my local calibration company and asked what they would charge to have it checked out.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 2:12 pm   #6
Dekatron
Octode

I asked a few Swedish calibration centers and they all answered that they used the same center in Germany for calibration of these.

I have asked for a price for checking mine from that center, however I don't have the name of the company yet - anyone knows what calibration company it is in Germany?
Old 19th Jun 2021, 2:21 pm   #7
Trigon.
Hexode

Would that perhaps be CalNet ?

https://www.fluke.com/en-gb/support/...ation-services

Quote:
I have asked Fluke about the service manual just now and I'll see what they say.
Have you had a response yet?

Cheers
Old 19th Jun 2021, 2:27 pm   #8
Dekatron
Octode

I'll see what company they use when I get the offer back, one calibration center thought their name was "Eiswein" or "Eisenwein" but I didn't find any under that name, just a few wine companies!

No response from Fluke yet, I'll update here if I get a response from them.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 2:45 pm   #9
Dekatron
Octode

So, finally some answers, but not one of them are good.

Fluke told me they didn't have anything except the users manual (which is wrong as they host for of the manuals on their servers) and that thay didn't have the software needed for calibration. They didn't know anything about someone in Germany who had the software nor anyone who could calibrate them. Strange answer I think.

Nor does any of the Swedish calibration centers offer calibration and only one knows of the German calibration possibility - I am still waiting for an offer from Germany via the Swedish calibration center.
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 4:56 pm   #10
Dekatron
Octode

There is some interesting information in this document: https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-pu..._mveng0000.pdf regarding the memory volatility and also regarding which programs that are used during calibration - ComponentView and PM9559B.

Anyone knows anything on these?
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 5:07 pm   #11
Trigon.
Hexode

Quote:
SW63 ComponentView test software for PM 6306 and PM 6304

This Windows® software package provides powerful functions for the analysis of test results downloaded via the RS-232 or IEEE interface. All functions of the RCL meter and bus parameters can be controlled remotely from the PC. The powerful scan mode allows components or devices under test to be measured automatically at different frequencies or voltages.
Quote:
PM 9559 Infrared bin programmer (PM 6304 only)

The infrared bin programmer is a compact handheld unit programs the PM 6304’s component sorting function.
I've just messaged Wayne Kerr to see if their 4270 is indeed the same unit as a 6306, and if so whether they would be able to supply a service manual.

Cheers
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 7:14 pm   #12
chriswood1900
Octode

It looks from some info on EEVblog the PM6306 could be a rebadged Wayne Kerr 4270 which might explain why Fluke are struggling to find information. This seems very similar to the situation I found when getting info on Pendulum Frequency counter, which is the same as the Fluke PM6690, so they certainly do rebadge things.
Some info here https://www.testequipmenthq.com/data...-Datasheet.pdf
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 10:45 pm   #13
Dekatron
Octode

There seems to be a German company that calibrates both the PM6306 and the Wayne Kerr 4270:

https://www.esz-ag.com/product/flu-q...ke/pm6306.html
https://www.esz-ag.de/produktkatalog...kerr/4270.html

It also looks like the service manual for the 4270 is named F1J4270 from this link, scroll down to the first text portion: https://troutunderground.com/Manuals-Books-Wayne-Kerr/ where you can read:

"WAYNE KERR ELECTRONICS LTD F1J4270AUTOMATIC LCR METER DC-1 MHZ SERVICE MANUAL· good used working condition. Cosmetic wear on cover· 11” x 10” binder· contents 1. safety instructions 2. Line Voltage Setting& Fuses 3. Principle of Operation& Measurement 5. Characteristics 6. Performance Test 7. Recalibration 8. Disassembling the Instrument 9. Self Diagnostic& Troubleshooting 10. Error messages 11. Installation Instructions for Options 12. Checking& Adjusting 13. Safety Inspection& Tests After Repair& Maintenance in the Primary Circuit 14. Spare Parts 15. Figures* Please enlarge images for a better detailed look& feel free to ask question(s) regarding the product. U.S. mainland customers only. Payment is expected within 3 days after the sale. Customer assumes shipping costs. Item(s) will be shipped immediately upon receipt of cleared payment. Returns are accepted only when product totally differs from the photos& description posted in the list. The condition of return item(s) must be same as it was from the seller. Return shipping costs will be handled by the customer. Too".
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 8:44 am   #14
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

That was a dead out–of–date link on Trout Underground suggesting it had been purchased by somebody a long time ago, whether you'd be able to find it under eBay "Completed Listings" and contact whoever bought it is another matter!

Fluke are obviously telling enquirers fairy tales when they claim they don't know anything about it because "Section 13 Safety Tests and Inspections after repairs in the Primary Circuit" is a standard Philips/Fluke section in all their Oscilloscope Service Manuals!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 23rd Jun 2021 at 8:50 am.
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 10:07 am   #15
Trigon.
Hexode

I'm afraid the news from Wayne Kerr wasn't good:

Quote:
Wayne Kerr 4270 was a badged Fluke PM3606. We only have the user manual available, please see the attachment.
Cheers
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 12:50 pm   #16
Dekatron
Octode

That's a pity!

I've been trying to identify the seller from the auction text but have so far not been successful.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 7:40 am   #17
mzspring
Diode

I have found Fluke PM6306 RCL calibration command.

I decompiled the FW (PM6306_LCR_Meter_EPROM_v1.5.zip) , so I found Fluke PM6306 RCL calibration command.

Operation method (RS-232 interface):-

step 1 : input HEX 1B 32 0A (ESC 2), go to remote control

step 2 : input command CAL 1(HEX: 43 41 4C 20 31 0A). format CAL number

Now, I have decompiled FW only a little. I look forward to decompile it together.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair...=1230606;image
Old 27th Jun 2021, 12:05 pm   #18
Dekatron
Octode

Hi and welcome to the forum "mzspring"!

That is very welcome information!

I've included the link to the EEVBLOG forum here on your work: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair...ation-command/

What firmware revision of the PM6306 did you do this on?
Old 27th Jun 2021, 1:35 pm   #19
mzspring
Diode

PM6306 firmware revision V1.4 V1.5 V1.6

I tested them all.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 4:19 pm   #20
Trigon.
Hexode

When I send a calibration query (i.e. "CAL?"), my 6306 (v1.6 firmware) returns:-

CAL ON;DATE 3,1,29

- Which is a significantly different format to that shown in the 6304 manual:-

CAL ON;NO. <NR1>,YY/MM/DD

Where <NR1> is the number of calibrations since first delivery.

I doubt that mine has been recalibrated since manufacture, so it would be interesting to see responses from other units.

Cheers
Closed Thread