UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2021, 5:29 pm   #1
peterpixel
Pentode

Default Philips D8892/05

This is an old radio/cassette/cd player which had suffered the disintegration of the infamous Philips "cheese" gear.This happened some 3 years ago and over time I played about with white gears from China and brass gears from the model shop but still could not source the correct type.It was put to one side and recently put back on the bench when I noticed in the manual a reference to the CD player as a RCD1 with a separate manual.Checking in the manual came up with a part number which led me to a number of sites selling gears of different types to replace the cheesy ones.This in turn led me to the actual dimensions of mine which had 64 teeth on the lower one and 11 on the upper (see attachment). So although the part number wasn't used it led me in the right direction. The original had a moulded in lip at the top in lieu of a circlip and the new one didn't so a new one was added.Success indeed. I have noticed the number of queries raised about these gears on the Forum and was amazed at the wide range of types available on the internet. Mine came from Poland and the price of the basic gear was about £8 and with pp and tax and exchange rate costs came to about £15. (American dollars were used). Hope this info is of use. Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20210404_003.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	230928  
Old 6th Apr 2021, 9:37 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips D8892/05

I had the same problem with a Grundig cassette deck , I saved the unit from the skip , two cogs had crumbled to bits , after a bit of re search I found some In Poland , bright red ones , fitted perfectly. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0012 (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	231024  
Closed Thread