UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2021, 4:58 pm   #1
Markymark123
Diode

Default Smiths Sectric Clock noisy

Hi All,
I am hoping you can help.
I have owned an old Smiths wall clock for a while and it has worked perfectly until recently.

It is keeping good time, but has become noisy. I’m guessing it needs a service or some lubrication. I’ve tried clock repairers near where I live and they either won’t touch it or are proposing to fit a modern mechanism - something I want to avoid.

Is this something anyone here has experience of? I have attempted to add some pictures.

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB4988C9-EC66-4DC0-95E6-B7E3C30F80AC.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	248134   Click image for larger version

Name:	986E39A5-B895-4A4B-84E0-1B52763DC010.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	248135  
Old 20th Dec 2021, 5:15 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Smiths Sectric Clock noisy

The noise is probably from the motor bearings. A drop of sewing machine oil or even 3-in-1 on both bearings should quieten it down. However, if it's been run dry for a long time then the bearings may have worn and there will always be some noise.

You really need to strip it down, clean all the parts and relubricate everything. This isn't hugely difficult (it's much easier than stripping a mechanical clock) but is fiddly if you aren't used to working with small machines.

There are lots of threads discussing electric clocks, and some real experts here (not me).
Old 20th Dec 2021, 5:26 pm   #3
Robsradio
Heptode

Sometimes if a drop of oil doesn’t quieten it then as Paul says there may be some wear in the bushes. I have found in these cases some very light grease as lube works wonders and it will run much quieter, if not silently.
It’s not difficult to strip, clean and lube an electric clock such as this.

But keep the ‘we can fit a quartz movement in it’ brigade away!
Old 20th Dec 2021, 10:10 pm   #4
Markymark123
Diode

Thanks!
I’m reasonably mechanically minded so I’ll have a look at the mechanism and see if I am brave enough to strip, clean and lubricate.
I’ll also search some more. I’m sure there’ll be hints and tips to be found….
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 6:53 pm   #5
Markymark123
Diode

Hi All.

An update. I removed the movement and powered it up on the bench. The noise seems to come from the primary drive/motor.
Looking at the mechanism, it is all quite dry with some visible dirt. I think ideally it needs a strip to clean each and every component. I’m afraid I bottled it! I was worried about screwing it up. Instead I put some sewing machine oil on the motor bearings. I overdid it a bit on the top bearing and some oil ended up on the main worm drive. Oops!
Anyway, I put it back together and it’s now running silently. I’m calling that a success!

Thanks all….
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 11:52 am   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

Very nice. And you still have a nice old clock - well done for not turning it into a pretend one.
Old 24th Dec 2021, 9:48 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

That should last for many years now, Mark. Oil on the worm isn't a problem as they were always oiled.
Like Rob says, no q£$%tz ones
Old 24th Dec 2021, 11:07 am   #8
paulsherwin

These mechanisms are very tough, and will survive all sorts of abuse. While a complete stripdown, degrease and relube is always desirable, it is indeed daunting for a beginner and a fair bit of work. Purists will frown at slapping machine oil on a dirty movement, but Sectrics can soldier on for many years like that, and it's much better than running them dry.
Old 24th Dec 2021, 8:44 pm   #9
Markymark123
Diode

Thanks for the feedback! Love that old clock…..
Closed Thread