UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2021, 11:36 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Unusual bulkhead lamps

I bought these bulkhead lamps last weekend. I have scoured the web all week trying to find out about them but to no avail. The high impact plastic half globes are made by Arrow Plastics and are not sealed into the hinged housing. The rear "reflector" is of painted steel, the remainder of the housing is alloy again with no hermetic sealing. A standard bayonet cap type fitting is installed in each unit. There is a code number on the upper surface of each luminaire which is AP17171 and LM6M and there is a "B/L" logo in a circle at the top. The lamp housing fastens onto a base connector where single core cables feed in and connect to a terminal block, this mates with "bayonet cap" style pins on the main housing so that when the housing is attached to the base then connection is made. The base unit appears to have been made by GEC. I am suspecting that these lamps were made in the 60s or 70s maybe for a cargo ship or oil platform. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040479.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	248318   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040480.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	248319   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040481.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	248320  
Old 24th Dec 2021, 2:19 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Unusual bulkhead lamps

There are a couple of something like what you have got on a shed by an old gas holder visible through the safety barrier from street view.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2798...7i16384!8i8192
Old 25th Dec 2021, 2:34 am   #3
Silicon
Nonode

Could the AP stand for 'Admiralty Pattern'?

I think there is a Aluminium alloy called LM6.
Old 25th Dec 2021, 3:19 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Unusual bulkhead lamps

Hi,
If they were for use on oil platforms, I'm sure they'd have an EX mark on them somewhere. But they certainly look designed for heavy duty.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 25th Dec 2021, 10:05 pm   #5
newlite4
Octode

Thanks for your help everyone so far on identifying these, they do appear to be a bit of a mystery. It is surprising that they are not sealed, although they are otherwise very well built.
Neil
Old 18th Feb 2022, 10:17 pm   #6
Otter's vintage
Triode

Hello. Sorry if I am late and this has been identified. I was wondering if you could post a close image of the "BL" you mentioned. Also, these lights do look quite nice.
Old 23rd Feb 2022, 9:27 pm   #7
newlite4
Octode

Hello Otter, just seen your post. The B and L were separated by a vertical line, the whole encircled rather like the Belling Lee trade mark. You can just make it out towards the bottom of image 1 on top of the bolted flange on the left hand lamp. I have now swapped the lamps for a Dualit cooker - needs must .
Neil