UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2011, 3:22 pm   #1
whereistom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Curly cord in alternative colours?

Hi,

Does anybody know if it's possible to find new curly cords for 706/746 in non-GPO colours?

Alternatively, has anyone found a decent paint or dye for re-colouring cords?

A friend wants a purple 746, and I've been experimenting with Vinyl Dye. This has been very effective on the case parts but just isn't drying properly on the cords. I've had a bit of success by roughing the cord with wire wool, but it's still a bit tacky after a few weeks, and so isn't really fit for purpose.

So if I could find somewhere supplying cords in alternative colours, that's a solution. Alternatively, if there's suggestions for a better paint or dye I'll give it a go.

Thanks,
Tom

(ps - apologies to anyone who thinks that painting a 746 purple sounds like desecration! In my defence I've put together a frankenstein phone made from various spare case parts, so haven't ruined an otherwise good quality original...)
Old 15th Nov 2011, 4:43 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Curly cord in alternative colours?

If you can rewire to a 300-style circuit with a common transmitter/receiver wire (3-wire handset) then guitar/instrument flexes are available with 2 cores + screen in lots of colours.

Haven't managed to find a purple coily one yet though.

Or use flexible network patch cable, double up the cores, and accept that it won't last as long.
Closed Thread