UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2007, 9:31 pm   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Can anyome identify this GPO Magneto Wall Telephone Please?

I recently bought this rather nice vintage magneto wall telephone which is complete except for a mouthpiece. There is no model number anywhere, the only number I can find is "4101A" on the inside of the door. Sadly the majority of the circuit diagram is missing, there is no information there to allow you to identify the model.

If anyone can identify the model do they know anywhere that you can obtain a circuit diagram please?

The telephone has an interesting history, it was installed in a manor house in Norfolk in the 20's I believe and everything seems in pretty good shape.

I just now have to track down a mouthpiece (any suggestions?) and get it up and running.

What voltage batteries do I need to use for the transmitter? Can it be converted without any major "surgery" to allow it to run for the voltage present on the line?

Thanks for any information.

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Telephone Rackenheath Hall Norfolk Pic 1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	12042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telephone Rackenheath Hall Norfolk Pic 2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	12043  
Old 4th Sep 2007, 9:46 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Can anyome identify this GPO Magneto Wall Telephone Please?

I hope the vandal who added a smiley mouth is suitably ashamed of themselves
Old 4th Sep 2007, 9:47 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Some similarities with the GEC K8055...

http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/gecm.htm#k%208055
Old 4th Sep 2007, 10:28 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
What voltage batteries do I need to use for the transmitter? Can it be converted without any major "surgery" to allow it to run for the voltage present on the line?

Thanks for any information.

Peter.
It looks like it'll take a couple of 'Flag' cells, so 3 Volts, I would say. Too much and you're liable to 'fry' the carbon-granule transmitter (when you obtain one...).

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 4th Sep 2007, 10:39 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:

If anyone can identify the model do they know anywhere that you can obtain a circuit diagram please?

Peter.
It might just be similar to the Western Electric model shown attached (from 'Telephone Erection and Maintenance' by Herbet G. White, 3/6 net, October 1922). I don't suppose it will be a million miles away...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	telephone.gif
Views:	136
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	12063  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 10:11 am   #6
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Nick - I know what you mean. Thankfully that was easily removed with white spirit. What a vandal indeed! At least it hadn't been hacked about inside. You may well be right about the model number, however there are no holes or signs to suggest that there was ever a writing slope on the front. Aside from that, it looks identical. Maybe the writing slope was optional?

Russell - Thanks for that, thankfully the original transmitter is intact and working, I've tested that amd it's very clear actually. Is there any way to modify this to run from the line current? Thanks for the circuit, that's very helpful.

By the way, I found the date of 1929 on the transmitter housing.

Best regards,

Peter.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 12:01 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:

Russell - Thanks for that, thankfully the original transmitter is intact and working, I've tested that amd it's very clear actually. Is there any way to modify this to run from the line current? Thanks for the circuit, that's very helpful.

Best regards,

Peter.
To run it on line current, you'd be modifying the telephone from a local-battery instrument to a central-battery instrument, ie: the mic will need to be line-powered rather than from a local battery. I'd be inclined to make up a little board to sit inside with an ASTIC (Anti-Sidetone Induction Coil) circuit, as found on a 200 or 300 series instrument with the dial strapped out, and connect receiver and microphone to it. Use the drawing from a 300 series instrument as a guide. You could mount a 3k3 resistor for the bell on the board as well (assuming it is 1000R overall, or REN 4).

Have you traced out the wiring and drawn it? It might be interesting to compare with the LB magneto telephone on the drawing I posted.

I would leave the magneto disconnected!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 6th Sep 2007, 5:56 pm   #8
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Thanks Russell, that's very useful information. I will have a think about whether or not to modify it from LB to CB, not sure about that yet as I do like to keep things as original as possible. The bell is indeed 1000 ohms.

I haven't traced the wiring, this is something I really ought to do. Out of interest why would you leave the magneto disconnected?

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 6th Sep 2007, 6:20 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

You could certainly wire it to ring easily enough with virtually no mods.

Nick
Old 6th Sep 2007, 8:00 pm   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:

I haven't traced the wiring, this is something I really ought to do. Out of interest why would you leave the magneto disconnected?

Thanks again,

Peter.
I don't suppose it would do any damage if you did leave the magneto connected, as (and I'm assuming it's a 'silent ringing' type where operation of the magneto pulls the contact into position and drops it out when the handle is released) it wouldn't normally be in cct.

All that happens when you turn a magneto onto a CB line is that the generated voltage has to overcome the DC line voltage and stiff resistance is felt. The AC waveform from the magneto may simulate dial pulses and a spurious call might be initiated.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 6th Sep 2007, 10:20 pm   #11
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Nick - Yes indeed, I have tried this and it works well, you can also hear dial tone clearly, I guess the 3 volts are just needed for the transmitter. Any suggestions as to the best batteries to use?

Russell - It is indeed only in circuit when turned. I tried as you suggested and it made the other telephones in the house ring.
Old 10th Sep 2007, 9:35 pm   #12
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Here it is, all finished and working and fixed to the wall.

Thanks for the advice in getting it up and running again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Telephone Rackenheath Hall Norfolk Pic 3.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	12211  
Closed Thread