UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2020, 8:34 am   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default HES2 House Exchange System

Does anyone know where I can find instructions (such as an N diagram or other) for wiring up an HES2 setup, including the "Unit, Transfer, Intercom"?

Any information would be appreciated to assist me in connecting up the units I have, thank you.
Old 11th May 2020, 1:03 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: HES2 House Exchange System

Have you seen these:
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...grams/Q361.pdf
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...grams/Q362.pdf
Old 11th May 2020, 1:37 pm   #3

What a splendid looking device, I want one,and a house big enough to have sufficient extensions, and a secretary to drive the thing!

"Wife on extension 7", "cup of tea dear", ah one way of fantasising lockdown in a more convivial place. Sorry, being reading a lot of Agatha Christie, one can dream...

Old 11th May 2020, 1:55 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks, Bill, for the pointers. I shall study these to see whether they enable me to get my system up and running. I shall report progress in due course.

And MM, my demo system will consist (at least initially) of one transfer unit and two extensions. Unfortunately, no secretary, no butler and not even a wife!
Old 11th May 2020, 4:11 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

I do have a Wife, but also a bungalow where the intercom consists of raising your voice slightly!. Used to have access to loads of small PABXs and instruments, but never got a round tuit until downsizing ended all that.
Old 11th May 2020, 6:53 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I seem to have collected a few "round tuits" in recent weeks.
Old 24th May 2020, 5:23 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

With the help of the "Q" diagrams and my request for appropriate jacks, I have made a certain amount of progress with this project, and I feel it's about time to give a progress report.

As a result of my posts here and in the request, I was offered a further HES2 terminal by a forum member and have now acquired it, complete with a Jack 54. I also discovered that a dead HES2 that I have (about which I had totally forgotten) also has a Jack. I have therefore constructed the start of a demo setup for the HES2, as shown below, so far with two positions for HES2 telephones, but the intention is for four telephones and a transfer unit.

So far, I have managed to get two telephones talking to each other but seem unable to connect to a telephone line. When pressing the exchange line button, the battery power is cut off from the handset, but no connection is made to the line. Noting that (according to Q131) relay AA needs to operate to connect the exchange line (via AA1 and AA3), I have "earthed" the "D" wire, but this doesn't cause the relay to operate, but even manually depressing the armature on the relay doesn't give me a line connection. Any suggestions on this would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HES2 demo setup.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	206654  
Old 24th May 2020, 8:42 pm   #8
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Not what Dave has got. The above refer to the 'House Telephone Systems' - purely intercom systems with no facility for connection to an exchange line or two.

Dave has a House Exchange System No 1/2 components which has the ability to connect one or two exchange lines via the Transfer Intercom Unit/s.
Old 25th May 2020, 8:11 am   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

What I forgot to include in my previous post (my excuse is that I was interrupted part way through and returned about an hour later) was the way the two jacks are wired. Except where stated otherwise, each terminal on the first jack is wired to the corresponding one on the second. The exceptions are:
Code:
first station         second station
T17 (home line)       T19 (extn 1A)
T18 (ring)            T20 (extn 1B)
T19 (n/c)             T21 (n/c)
T20 (n/c)             T22 (n/c)
T21 (extn 2A)         T17 (home line)
T22 (extn 2B)         T18 (ring)
In addition, the following external connections are made:
Code:
exch 1A               T5
exch 1B               T6
exch 2A               T1
exch 2B               T2
battery -ve           T13
battery +ve           T14
Old 25th May 2020, 3:40 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
... but seem unable to connect to a telephone line. When pressing the exchange line button, the battery power is cut off from the handset, but no connection is made to the line.
I've narrowed this down to the particular telephone. Another one (which had previously been dead but has now started working) does connect successfully, giving me dial tone. As long as I follow note 2 of Q131 to move the exchange strap from 1-2 to 2-3, it works without earthing the D wire. With the first telephone this had been unsuccessful, hence my attempts to get a connection by other means.

Of the three 'phones I'm currently using:
one is able to select either another extension or an exchange line
one is able to select other extensions but not an exchange
and on the third none of the buttons do anything, but it can communicate with another extension when it is selected by that extension.

On this last one, the handset remains powered by the battery even when an exchange line is selected.

What I haven't yet worked out is how to make an overpress signal another extension, as it is supposed to do.
Old 25th May 2020, 5:54 pm   #11
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

See https://www.britishtelephones.com/er...etin/11_15.htm for the jack/junction box wiring.

The index to all Sam Hallas' Q duagrams is here http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...ir=q_diagrams/

For the extension-extension on overpress, there's a circuit whereby if the called extension is engaged on an exchange line, the buzzer at the calling station will operate to give an engaged signal. So for ordinary working there must be some way on the called station that the calling current is routed via an exchange line key to the buzzer, and for engaged working the current must be routed back onto a home line for the calling station.
Old 25th May 2020, 6:42 pm   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
See https://www.britishtelephones.com/er...etin/11_15.htm for the jack/junction box wiring.
Thanks. I'll have a read through of that to see whether there is anything different from how I currently have things wired.

Quote:
For the extension-extension on overpress, there's a circuit whereby if the called extension is engaged on an exchange line, the buzzer at the calling station will operate to give an engaged signal.
That doesn't work either on my current setup.
Old 25th May 2020, 10:10 pm   #13
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I'll have a read through of that to see whether there is anything different from how I currently have things wired.

Quote:
For the extension-extension on overpress, there's a circuit whereby if the called extension is engaged on an exchange line, the buzzer at the calling station will operate to give an engaged signal.
That doesn't work either on my current setup.
Dave,
Have you got Atkinson's 'Telephony' Volume One? There are some good clear circuit diagrams of telephones and Transfer Unit all wired up on same diagram which might make the operation clearer?

IJ
Old 26th May 2020, 8:06 am   #14
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Unfortunately, no, I don't have a copy of that tome.
Old 26th May 2020, 9:43 am   #15
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Unfortunately, no, I don't have a copy of that tome.
You have mail

Also attached, for others' benefit.

I think you need more wires; the diagram extension-to-extension circuit elements should be explanatory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HES 1 and 2 Atkinson 1948.pdf (3.88 MB, 79 views)
Old 26th May 2020, 10:05 am   #16
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I am printing the emailed version as I write. Thank you very much. I shall read, mark, learn and inwardly digest

I shall be interested to see what extra wires I need to add, given that each wire is already attached between the two extensions apart those for calling its own extension (extn 1A & 1B on the first position and extn 2A & 2B on the second).