UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2020, 2:35 am   #21
derekheeps
Tetrode

Default Re: 10" Reel to Reel required. Help. Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I'm very surprised by the variation in speeds, reel size and hubs at the more professional level but I suppose I shouldn't be really This perhaps makes info from the OP even more important. Not everyone comes back of course but starting from scratch with a half or quarter track semi-pro recorder will be a bit daunting. If that's what he wants to do that is I'm assuming his dad may not be in a position to advise perhaps?

Dave W
One could argue that buying a decent higher end deck , even for greater outlay , would still make sense ; many of them have separate motors for the reels and the capstains , therefore less reliance on belts or idler wheels and less need of repairs .

Something like a Revox , Sony , Technics , Teac/Tascam should be readily available , and once the tapes are transcribed to whatever other medium is wanted , then generally it can be sold on for the same price it was bought for and end up costing nothing . The Technics RS-1500US would be a very good choice because it is a half track machine which also has a switchable quarter track playback head , so will handle a greater variety of tapes without the compromise of playing half track recordings on a quarter track machine .

The OP did mention the need to accommodate 10" reels , so that does narrow the field somewhat .

For the purposes of playing back , a higher end machine need be no more daunting that something more 'domestic'
Old 19th Nov 2020, 10:29 am   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You may well be right there about a possible good economic/more durable investment [if it can be afforded] Derek and that a working "high end" TR may not be that much more difficult to operate [especially for playback purposes only] than a domestic model. I was thinking more about the whole subject area being a challenge to someone who doesn't know the basics [eg track formats, speeds] as evidenced by the amount of detail generously offered already. As I have pointed out things have changed and there is a much broader range of enquiries to the Forum these days

Dave
Old 21st Nov 2020, 1:34 am   #23
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Well no further response I do, repeatedly, find that if you ask entirely appropriate questions, instead of responding, this is what often happens. We are left to draw our own conclusions I suppose... in the absence of anything else .

Dave
Old 21st Nov 2020, 6:16 am   #24
Radio Wrangler

The original poster did put in some effort to register for the forum and to make his first post, so whatever he wants, it has some importance to him.

Without any more information, I don't see how any more help can be given.

I won't close the thread, so it will be here and waiting if he chooses to come back and say anything more.

It feels disappointing that all the people who contributed don't get to find out if their efforts were helpful or not, but that's the way it goes with a number of threads.

David