UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2020, 2:49 am   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Hacker Cavalier: Christmas Treat to myself

Bought this Hacker Cavalier Record Player from the early 60s the other day and it arrived this evening.

Overall it’s actually in surprisingly good condition. I have always liked the look of these but never really committed to buying one before. I have heard they are the “Rolls Royce” of portable 1960s turntables and put the Dansette primary BSR units to shame. This will be replacing an old Argosey model with a BSR UA-14 changer unit, pretty low end and primitive.

This one isn’t without its problems unfortunately, but she will be going off to a Hacker expert in the morning who has lots of spare parts for these along with lots of knowledge on the Garrard AT60.

Issues I’ve spotted so far with it...

Someone has jammed the long actuator changer spindle in the wrong way so the auto mechanism doesn’t work.

Platter is catching on something underneath and is running slightly too slowly because of this.

Amp stage sounds like ocean waves when no music is playing. A definite recap required here.

Pots and switches all scratchy also has the wrong knobs installed so they will be replaced.

Cartridge sounds like hot garbage so that also will be upgraded too. These units are meant to sound very good when restored with very little audible hum. They apparently retailed for £45 in the early 1960s which is around £1000 today with inflation so seems like a higher end product.

Does Anyone know what Garrard turntables the hacker was available with? Seen photos which show that many Cavaliers had slightly different Garrard turntables, the AT60 like mine seems to be the most common.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D25E5313-640E-4277-8A6C-AD2ABD02A6D2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	219955   Click image for larger version

Name:	969D6BAA-FFBC-4870-BA2B-9E664D95B10F.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	219956  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 9th Nov 2020 at 2:57 am.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 7:55 am   #2
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Default Re: Hacker Cavalier: Christmas Treat to myself

Hacker did indeed fit a few different decks to the cavalier. The 3 that I know of are the Autoslim, The AT6 MK2A and the Model 50. I'm sure there were others but all these decks are variants on the autoslim. you could fit an SP25 or a later 2025TC as fitted in the Gondolier. The cartridges they used were generally at the higher end of the ceramic spectrum, usually Acos or Sonotone. These days if the cartridge is working count it as a bonus. It is highly likely once the amplifier has been overhauled the sound quality will improve dramatically. Good luck with obtaining a set of original knobs too. As yours appears to have the AT6 Mk2A deck, it will just about track a magnetic cartridge such as one of the Stanton AL500 disco range or something like a Goldring G800/850. you would need to install a suitable RIAA preamp though to boost the cartridge output to an acceptable level for the Hacker's amplifier.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 10:00 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The deck in the photo above looks more like the Garrard AT5 or possibly a Model 50.
The AT6/AT60 has a different counterweight arranement.
Given the work/cost needed to the OP's unit, a dubious upgrade to a MM/Pre-Amp arrangement, might well be a step far too far.
A good ceramic cartridge is just what the original 3 stage amp was best designed for.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 2:21 pm   #4
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The deck in the photo above looks more like the Garrard AT5 or possibly a Model 50.
The AT6/AT60 has a different counterweight arrangement.
Given the work/cost needed to the OP's unit, a dubious upgrade to a MM/Pre-Amp arrangement, might well be a step far too far.
A good ceramic cartridge is just what the original 3 stage amp was best designed for.
You were right Edward didn’t even notice the little model 50 label on it. Hopefully it's a decent changer just posted it off today don’t know anything much about Garrard changers at all really only had experience with BSR’s myself.

Restoration is going to be around £100, or so which I thought reasonable especially as the lad who’s doing it has access to all the proper spares for these units. The entire thing is going to be recapped, the rectifier valves checked, unit cleaned up and re-lubricated. The cartridge it has in it (Acos GP91) is pretty crappy from what I’ve been told so that's going to be replaced too. Mostly got this system for my growing collection of 78s more than anything, so I don’t think a moving magnetic cart would be worthwhile.

No idea who forced the spindle in the wrong way the entire thing was jammed solid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7A637487-B0D8-4F88-8B4F-E7D65484A54B.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	219979   Click image for larger version

Name:	72B57728-3E9F-4647-A909-B48C5867F73F.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	219980  
Old 9th Nov 2020, 6:39 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There's nothing at all wrong with the ACOS GP91 series cartridge - whoever told it it was crappy?
You would find it very hard to find one to better to suit your Model 50 tone arm.
A new LPS/78 flip-under stylus can easily be fitted.
Old 10th Nov 2020, 10:44 am   #6
Michael Maurice

These Hackers are fitted with mouldseal capacitors, you MUST replace them.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 10th Nov 2020, 11:40 am   #7
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
These Hackers are fitted with mouldseal capacitors, you MUST replace them.
Yeah, the entire unit has gone away for overhaul (arrives to him either today or tomorrow) and will be ready for collection just after lockdown all being well. He’s going to do everything, clean, recap and replace any dodgy parts etc.

As of last might also decided to get the current model 50 changer replaced and upgraded too. The lad who’s doing the restoration has a spare Garrard AT60 MKII series along with a matching short single play spindle and appropriate clip attachment to store when not in use. The AT60 MKII is meant to be a bit better, think it has a better anti-skate system one which can be manually adjusted I believe? Model 50 is just auto i think? Adds a bit more to the final cost but should get a better experience overall. Will use it for 45s now as well.

Be a very nice Christmas present for me this year.

Would’ve looked at doing myself, but as it seems to be a much more refined player than your typical budget Dansette BSR system. I thought a proper full on restoration would be worthwhile as restored and Checked over they seem to be worth around £320 mark or so.

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 10th Nov 2020 at 12:01 pm.
Old 10th Nov 2020, 1:47 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I don't know why you are changing the autochanger on this? I can assure you, you will not be able to hear any difference - espcially as you said you were going to use it mainly for 78/45s. As far as I know, there is no manual adjustment of the anti-skate on the AT60/2. Also be aware that your Model 50 autochanger has a full Manual option. I hope you are not being talked into uneccesary expense!
Old 10th Nov 2020, 8:05 pm   #9
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I don't know why you are changing the autochanger on this? I can assure you, you will not be able to hear any difference - espcially as you said you were going to use it mainly for 78/45s. As far as I know, there is no manual adjustment of the anti-skate on the AT60/2. Also be aware that your Model 50 autochanger has a full Manual option. I hope you are not being talked into uneccesary expense!
The Spindle on the model 50 has been hammered down with force. When I bought the hacker I noticed it had been put on wrong way, but I myself was unable to remove it was just jammed in there solid. When he’s inspected it's done damage to the underside internals so just easier to replace the entire board for an upgrade. So it was definitely a worthwhile decision I think.

I’ll probably be more inclined to use it for LP’s and such now. No idea what person would hammer the spindle down with so much force though. Especially the wrong way so the actuator portion of the changer spindle would never engage.

Sure the 50 would probably be fixable, but given the state it's in might as well just upgrade for a better unit which is also in much better shape that hasn’t had the crap kicked out of it.

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 10th Nov 2020 at 8:16 pm.
Old 11th Nov 2020, 10:32 am   #10
Richardgr
Heptode

£100 seems like a good deal for what is quite time consuming work, and the replacement caps are not that cheap either. I suppose 'knowing what you are doing' can save a lot of time and expense
Old 11th Nov 2020, 10:59 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

OK, this is your choice. But do bear in mind that what you call "better" or an "upgrade", will only be very marginal. To help you re-coup some of your costs, I would suggest that you keep the old Garrard Model 50 when it's been removed. You will find that this can be readily sold online as it should be easily fixable by a new owner.
Old 11th Nov 2020, 11:17 pm   #12
Ryan_1993
Hexode

In the end decided to keep the Model 50 but to be fitted with the slightly better motor from an AT6 unit.

Apparently the Hacker seemed like it'd had a fairly poor service done to it around 30 or so years ago judging from the type of caps installed. They were also the wrong value caps and and the yellow mouldseal caps hadn't even been changed at all still the original ones. The wrong sort of oil was apparently used on the underside of the Garrard too.

Now it is making sense why the changer spindle had been forced down and jammed in place. Someone who obviously attempted this very poor service thought the spindle somehow locked in place, rather than the floating and easily removable type that it is.

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 11th Nov 2020 at 11:23 pm.
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:02 am   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A wise choice for keeping the Model 50 deck - but why change the motor to one from an AT6? What improvement do you think you will get - or are even able to notice?
It's probably far more important to spend time and money get a good re-build of the pre-amp and main amplifier than these highly dubious "upgrades". Then, and only then, will you appreciate the improvement.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 1:23 am   #14
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Just received the Cavalier back it is now in fantastic shape and operating very nicely.

Blown away by how good 78's sound on it. I actually hear proper bass and depth without the general tinny harshness like I got with my previous BSR changer deck.

I made a chrome swivel table/stand out of an old 1970s MCM dining chair looks great near the Hifi setup now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	player.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	221648  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 2nd Dec 2020 at 1:29 am.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 9:09 am   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very nice! Yes, they do sound lovely with 78s, so long as you have the right stylus.

The stand looks ideal. Hacker certainly did offer something very similar for the slightly later Gondolier.

N.
Old 4th Dec 2020, 5:26 pm   #16
Ekcoman
Heptode

Hacker made excellent record player. Definitely Rolls Royce Record Players GP15 probably a more rounded sound rather than the more bassey GP42. From being a Cinderella to Dansette to retro fans, discerning retro record players collectors are now hunting them down sending value soring. Here's my two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hacker GP15 (AT6).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	221859   Click image for larger version

Name:	HACKER GP 15 (b).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	221860  
Old 12th Dec 2020, 10:05 am   #17
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcoman View Post
Hacker made excellent record player. Definitely Rolls Royce Record Players GP15 probably a more rounded sound rather than the more bassey GP42. From being a Cinderella to Dansette to retro fans, discerning retro record players collectors are now hunting them down sending value soring. Here's my two.
I’m glad I got mine when I did.

Right now it appears the Dansettes are a bit more sought after, but I think they sound kind of trashy. I guess the bright colours and the spun mid century sputnik style legs sell those sort of players instead of their sound quality.

Here’s a few more photos of my one now I’ve had the player a week or so.

Definitely need to get the additional stereo add on speaker at some point I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	133F8BC4-A75F-4026-883A-E98D7315D7DB.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	222358   Click image for larger version

Name:	04FA3C58-B7E6-4439-963D-C291FE45C993.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	222359   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C68710B-2F6B-47CA-8D6B-62D0CCC46ADC.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	222360   Click image for larger version

Name:	800808BA-FF7B-41C5-80D2-C97359FF75A1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	222361   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC52669B-9DAD-4DD9-A8AF-0DB437C39166.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	222362  

Old 12th Dec 2020, 11:17 am   #18
ms660
Dekatron

That looks like a Sony Elcaset in the background.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 11:59 am   #19
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

Lawrence.
Yeah, an EL-5 got it back in summer 2019. It was a fair price it also came with a box of 14 blank tapes.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 12:14 pm   #20
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

Lawrence.
Yeah, an EL-5 got it back in summer 2019. It was a fair price it also came with a box of 14 blank tapes.
I remember when I worked for Sony when the first batch of Elcaset's were released in Canada, hundreds of them arrived at our depot from Japan, there was a problem with the touch controls going into random operation, we had to modify the lot.....it took a while.

That said, I liked them.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread