UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2020, 5:16 pm   #1
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Vega Astrad/Ruby Cygnus

Just got a Vega Ruby/Astrad Cygnus, it might be my new favourite radio. Remarkably compact, like a KGB spy radio. It needs a bit of a clean. It didn't switch on at first but I had previously read https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=24777 so I knew to clean the switch contact and it works great. I was the first person to see inside since it left the factory, the seal on one of the case screws was intact. The earphone socket is neither 2.5mm or 3.5mm, somewhere in-between, so need new Russian earphone... anyone know what the spec might be? Or I might have to modify it for a 3.5mm, I might use this radio a lot. Tempted to take the crumpled Vega Ruby sticker off and make it an Astrad Cygnus.

The only fly in the ointment is the winder for the watch movement (ZIM 2608 according to https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/r...968-9.3932058/ ) is missing, replacing that or even testing the movement is probably a non-starter... or is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2340.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	219240   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2334.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	219241   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2338.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	219242   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2341.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	219243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	219245  

Old 1st Nov 2020, 6:23 pm   #2
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Re: Vega Astrad/Ruby Cygnus

7/64" drill bit fits quite well, bit loose maybe. USSR adopted metric in 1925 according to Wikipedia so I'm guessing at 2.8mm. How odd. Couldn't find anything close to that for sale, some unspec'd soviet headphones here and there but I don't think I want to go down that route. I've ordered 10x 3.5mm sockets off eBay from China.

On closer inspection the watch casing is different to the one on watchuseek so this one might not be a ZIM, I've read about other candidates including Sekonda.

Put a couple of blobs of petroleum jelly and a few drops of contact cleaner in the top of the wave change switch, seems to have done the trick with the intermittency there.

I'm going to keep an eye out for job lots of long watch crown stems going cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2367.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	219388   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2371.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	219390  
Closed Thread