UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2020, 11:47 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Emor Globe coil repair

I have a broken oscillator coil on this set, I believe that this is the LW oscillator coil but I stand to be corrected owing to the absence of a schematic. I have unwound two 10 foot lengths of enamelled copper wire to get down to the break and now measure around 100 ohms. I had planned to use the "knot and solder" technique to join the two broken lengths back onto the coil, but feel it is probably better to just re-solder the remaining coil end to the lug and take up any losses with the on-board trimmer as this would avoid any further trauma to the coil. The attached images show the damaged coil before unwinding. Being near the edge, this coil is vulnerable since the top half of the globe can slide off and knock against it. Would this repair be OK?
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040454.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	221471   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040456.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	221472  
Old 30th Nov 2020, 7:24 pm   #2
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Default Re: Emor Globe coil repair

Do you have a meter which can measure inductance? Do you have a meter to measure capacitance? If so you can determine if the combination will work. Of course, you can also just put it together and try it.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 10:12 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Emor Globe coil repair

Hello Steven, I have gone for the knot and solder technique so have rebuilt the coil to near design spec, I also noticed that the MW coil had some damage though not so severe but both the outer and inner layers needed rewiring.
I have just done two Tesla Talismans, both of them also had damaged coils that needed repair. It seems almost as if the amateur bodger gets in there and carelessly mashes up the RF section then gives up on the set not realising the damage done to very delicate parts - "keep 'em out" I say.
Hopefully when it is all reassembled things should show signs of improvement.
Neil