UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2020, 11:48 am   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Odd thread sizes in vintage light fitting

I am rewiring an old chandelier in the Empire style which I would guess is 1950's French. It has a common thread used throughout on steel rod, brass fittings, and plastic moulded candle bulb holders of diameter slightly below 11mm and pitch of approximately 1.33mm. This does not appear to be a standard used anywhere? The plastic candle holders were held in brass candle sockets using push fit flanges which I could reuse but I would like to have attached them using 11mm to 10mm adaptors but I guess I would have to find someone with a lathe to fabricate these?
Old 1st Nov 2020, 12:33 pm   #2

Default Re: Odd thread sizes

7/16ths inch 20TPI (thread per inch) as a guess which is UNF or cycle thread (always 20TPI).

Old 1st Nov 2020, 6:35 pm   #3
ex 2 Base
Heptode

There might be a Model Engineering/railway club near by you or if you know a Model Engineer he/they might have a set of thread gauges, which are a series of metal bits, some thing like hacksaw blades about two inches long, which will actually identify the thread for you. Older thing like you have described usually have 55 degree angle more modern things 60.
Old 1st Nov 2020, 8:06 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

The old French 11mm electrical thread appears to be 7/16" BSF (18tpi). I have a number of assorted French fittings that we brought back to the UK when clearing my late brother-in-law's house in France some 10 years ago. Inexpensive brass adaptors between the electrical 10mm × 1mm and the "11mm" threads in both directions were readily available at in the electrical sections of the local bricomarché. I still have a small selection of adaptors that I bought to allow the use of some of his BC and SES lampholders that have the old "11mm" thread. The 11mm thread profile of the adaptors is decidedly Whitworth in appearance in terms of flank angle and rounded crest and root.

Still available in France: currently €1.99 for a pack of two.

10mm male to 11mm female

https://www.castorama.fr/2-raccords-...21414_CAFR.prd

11mm male to 10mm female

https://www.castorama.fr/2-raccords-....prd?rrec=true

Last edited by emeritus; 1st Nov 2020 at 8:34 pm. Reason: Link added
Old 1st Nov 2020, 8:47 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

They are also available singly on eBay at 99p plus 99p p&p.

Search "reduction bush 11mm male to 10mm female"

Last edited by emeritus; 1st Nov 2020 at 8:52 pm.
Old 1st Nov 2020, 10:27 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

Emeritus, thanks so much they look to be what I want so I have ordered a few.
Old 4th Nov 2020, 5:55 pm   #7
PJL
Dekatron

And they fit too!
This thread can be closed.
Closed Thread