UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2009, 4:37 pm   #1
Mister C
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fonts for dial labels

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just awaiting delivery of a couple of old 746 phones which I'm hoping to clean up and convert. While I'm waiting I've been reading my way through the various posts to find out what I'm letting myself in for....

I was looking at one of the posts regarding dial labels (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=19266) which includes a printable jpeg, and I thought I'd share with you the following page from which you can download a selection of 'typewriter' fonts to superimpose the exchange/number information:

http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/08/10...s-for-web.html

I've had a play with some of them, and 'Telegraphem' and 'Underwood' look reasonably authentic.

(To install the fonts in Windows, go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Fonts, and then just drag and drop the .ttf files into there. Easiest way to put the wording onto the label for printing if you've got Microsoft Word is to paste the jpeg into a new document, then create a text box and position it over the bottom half of the jpeg).

Hope this is useful to some of you!
Old 28th Jul 2009, 5:13 pm   #2
Mister C
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fonts for dial labels

Here's what they look like.....

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c266/c00/labels.jpg
Old 28th Jul 2009, 6:08 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello Mister C, and welcome!

That's a very useful source of unusual fonts, thank you for pointing them out to us.

The style isn't quite right for the dial labels, but is loads better than most of us would have at hand on our computers.

Note that the area code was often printed with the rest of the label (in light grey), whereas the actual number was applied afterwards (in black).

Also note that it was usual to capitalise the first three letters of the exchange name, to indicate that those letters had to be dialled to reach it, e.g. WHItehall, WIMbledon, etc.

Nick.
Old 28th Jul 2009, 10:04 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Also note that it was usual to capitalise the first three letters of the exchange name, to indicate that those letters had to be dialled to reach it, e.g. WHItehall, WIMbledon, etc.

Nick.
Ah, be careful here. The first three letters were capitalised in Director area directories, but not necessarily on dial labels.
Old 28th Jul 2009, 10:14 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ah, thanks Darren
Old 28th Jul 2009, 11:22 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry about the atrocious quality (lighting and all that) but I've attached two images of original London Director area labels. These are on a 162 and a 328. Note the similar style font for the names, but slightly differing style for the numbers.

The OP is, however, talking about 746's. These came out in what, 1967? and London went over to the 01 STD code in 1971 I think? If those dates are correct there probably wasn't that many 746's issued in the Director areas bearing labels with exchange names on them.

For the possible benefit of Mister C, this page shows examples of provincial 700 series labels. Note how fonts vary quite widely. It should also be noted that if you wish to have a label displaying the name of a Director exchange, such as Whitehall, then the telephone instrument should also have an alpha-numeric dial or one of those alpha-numeric rings which fit around the outside of the dial. A standard numeric (only) 746 would look rather daft bearing a Director label. This is, assuming from post #1 that this is what you intend doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00692.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	27507   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00694.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	27508  
Old 29th Jul 2009, 7:17 am   #7
mawdsjeff
Retired Dormant Member

I have found that Gill Sans 10 or 12 point, bold is very authentic for the exchange names. the older red dial 999 labels had the exchange first 3 letters in Capital ..TERminus... and the grey labels only had the first letter in Capitals....Mayfair
Old 29th Jul 2009, 1:31 pm   #8
Mister C
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for the responses and for the advice - there's obviously a vast wealth of knowledge on this forum.

I suspected that the fonts may not prove 100% 'authentic' but as Nick says above, it's a lot better than the standard fonts I could find on my PC.

Thanks also for pointing out my 'exchange name' faux pas This is something I hadn't given any thought to, so I'll bear it in mind.

One of the phones I'm hoping to convert is a two-tone green model which is the same colour that we had at home when I was a kid - probably late seventies/early eighties, although I can't remember exactly when it arrived. I can, however, remember the excitement at having a coloured phone rather than a grey or black one!
Closed Thread