UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2020, 9:40 am   #21
donutty
Pentode

Default Re: NAD 3020 upgrades?

I use a 3020 as my daily runner. I was given it because the power switch developed a tendency to arc, causing lots of wideband noise and the power LED twitching which made it appear very poorly. Flooded it out with isopropyl alcohol and washed away all the carbon to restore normal operation.

Yes, the front plastic panel is creaky and thin and naff but the amp sounds really good. I also like the look and practicality of the vertical back panel but this makes it a real dust trap.

I think mine still has all the original caps and sounds great.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 10:49 am   #22
sennsai
Tetrode

Default Re: NAD 3020 upgrades?

Thanks for all the views and comments. I do intend to change the awkward speaker terminals. The amp is certainly "heavily" populated with components, although, unlike many other designs, most are easily accessible and the soldering seems good with no dry joints apparent.

The designer, a Norwegian I believe, intended it to drive into low impedances which explains why it sounds good with my electrostatic speakers.
Closed Thread