UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 3:57 pm   #21
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Lithium batteries: dangers of low temp charging

....If you have to invent something that's going to upset the apple cart, it's probably best done at the age of 94!

My spare PRIMARY lithium cells (CR2032, CR2025 etc) are stored in their packets in a plastic box along with PP3's, AAA's etc. Upon opening i am greeted with a sweet smell which i have established (by crushing an exhausted one from a car fob) is electrolyte venting out of one or more of the Lithiums...now i just have to find out which one!

Dave
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 4:05 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
PRIMARY lithium cells work fine in cold conditions, they are not rechargeable and should be discarded after use, preferably recycled.
I recently bought a wireless fridge/freezer alarm and the instructions say to use lithium for longer life in the freezer.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 6:10 pm   #23

The high temperature sodium battery of years ago was near perfect except it had to be at many hundred degrees centigrade to work.

Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:20 am   #24
Cobaltblue

Despite the problems of Lithium Ion batteries the vehicle manufacturers seems to have got this covered and my particular Plug in Hybrid says the batteries are useable down to -20C (It doesn't explain what useable means). The batteries have both heating and cooling.
I have been using various EV's at work for 8 years and have been driving my own Plug in Hybrid for my second winter.

Apart from the effects noted by Broadgage (lower range because of the need for cabin heating) it doesn't seem to matter too much although when its around 20C (18-22) ambient the range is at its best and charge times at their lowest. Charging is always tapered on AC the last hour only adds about 15%.

None of this affects the user much if its on charge for an extra half hour on AC. Whether I charge it on DC or various rates of AC the vehicle decides the charge profile.

Typical its 20-25 minutes to 80% on DC and that was unaffected by the lowest temperatures that we have seen so far this winter which for me was -3 but as I had driven to the office the batteries were already warm.

3 to 3.5Hrs AC from cold.
The pure EV's we have at least 5 different manufacturers seem to be similar.
I have tried to stay away from manufacturers names and models to stay on the right side of the ban on discussing Vehicles.

If I have not succeeded apologies.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 11:39 am   #25
flyingtech55
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I have tried to stay away from manufacturers names and models to stay on the right side of the ban on discussing Vehicles.

If I have not succeeded apologies.

Cheers

Mike T

In my opiion (for what it's worth) I think you have succeeded. You haven't mentioned brand a is better/worse than brand b and in addition a number of interesting points have been raised during the general course of this discussion.

Thanks all

TimR
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 1:28 pm   #26
emeritus
Dekatron

The article that mentioned the potential problem was only concerned with the leisure batteries used by campers and caravanners, where in winter camping a battery could well be exposed to sub-zero temperatures.

My original post was prompted by my experience a couple of decades ago with the nickel-cadmium batteries I bought with my first digital camera just before taking the famiy on holiday to Spain in August. The temperature in our non-air conditioned room was over 40 C and by the end of the week the batteries would not charge. Jessops replaced them without quibble but although on reading the very small print a temperature range of up to 40 C was mentioned, there was no explcit warning that charging at higher temperatures would result in irreversible damage. The possibility of damage resuting from low temperature charging was a new concept for me. Thanks to all for their most interesting and informative contrbutions.

Last edited by emeritus; 23rd Feb 2020 at 1:35 pm.
Closed Thread