UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2022, 11:05 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Screwdriver Offer at Aldi 100 Piece £23

Heavily magnetised tools can be a real nuisance but a lightly magnetised screwdriver is absolutely fine for most assembly operations. I've also used screwdrivers with four spring metal clips to grip the screw head. These are generally very useful but have their limitations in a tight space. I have on occasions used Blu Tak too.

I usually wipe a magnet over the tip of the screwdriver to just hold the screw. I've always been careful not to use magnetised tools in audio/video tape equipment for obvious reasons. It's horses for courses but strongly magnetised tools are best avoided in electronic equipment.

Regards,
Symon
Old 19th Jun 2022, 12:20 am   #22
fetteler
Octode

Conversations like this thread amaze me... use a magnetised driver when you want one and an unmagnetised one when you want one. Simple. No need for curses - just have a range of tools for the job in hand - no one type is 'better' than the other

Steve.
Old 19th Jun 2022, 6:39 am   #23
stevehertz
Dekatron

I know. We're a friendly bunch who on occasions cannot abear someone having a different view!
Old 21st Jun 2022, 9:39 am   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I think we have enough comments from both sides now, and anyone who wants to purchase this set (if still available) will be aware of the situation. Time to close.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread