UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2022, 10:29 am   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Sanyo VTC- 9300 PN faults.?

Hello I have a Sanyo as above in the post to me, non working, is there anything in particular that I should check?
Bit of a tall ask but I am trying to be at least a little prepaired!!
Thank you.
Geoff.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:08 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Sanyo VTC- 9300 PN faults.?

Depends how non-working it is! It's a huge battleship of a machine with a big AC motor and drive belts that'll need replacing. We saw several, but on the whole they were reliable if not up to the standard of the Sony picture-wise. However a few tweaks improve things greatly. It even has an electronic tape counter.
They also turn up as the Bush BC-6004.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:24 am   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The regulator transistor was prone to failure on these and yes, it is a heck of a weight or mine is!
Of course not knowing what your fault is.
Old 20th May 2022, 3:10 pm   #4
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Loss of colour due to slightly misadjusted AFC control in the chroma circuit is common issue. You can also adjust Expand (VR216) in the luminance circuit to help imporove picture sharpness. As far as mechanical parts go, the rubber parts might have failed and the loading gears might need lubrication. This machine uses an AC motor and two very large flat belts for driving the capstan and video head disk. The capstan flywheel has a rubber ring around it that engages with the lacing/unlacing mechanism's rollers. That can slip or crack and cause the loading ring not to move. The reel drive system consists of two square belts and three idler tyres and a clutch assembly that drives the take-up spool in low torque for playback/record.

Fivos
Old 21st May 2022, 1:00 pm   #5
Geoff 555
Heptode

Many thanks gentlemen, that has given me a lot of good information, it arrives next week.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 25th May 2022, 5:52 pm   #6
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello well it has arrived and all the belts replaced. Problem is that rewind does not work, at all, not even a twitch. Loading is a little jerky but before the belt change nothing happened. One of the rubber tyres has split (tried a 'O' ring) and the others really need replacing.
Does anyone have any suggestions where to get any please?
Radios I have tackled for a number of years but this is my first Sanyo betamax!
Sorry for probably many questions.
Geoff.
Old 25th May 2022, 6:29 pm   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hello. This kit includes every rubber part these machines have except for the pinch roller which to be honest very rarely fails on these. The price seems fair but it's from Australia so I don't know how long it would take for the item to be shipped to you.

Regards

Fivos
Old 26th May 2022, 10:55 am   #8
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Fivos thank you so much for the information, I have ordered a set.
All the best.
Geoff.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 9:25 pm   #9
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello back again, the belt kit arrived today and I am pleased to say that this has sorted almost everything out
The only thing that does not work is the Rewind!! It gives a jerk and nothing else, it is as if there is a brake on because the tape goes dead tight and will not move.
It has got me beaten I cant find what it is, so I would be most grateful for any help you may be able to give me.
Thank you very much.
Geoff.
Old 13th Jun 2022, 10:49 pm   #10
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Geoff

Test the rewind without a cassette. To do this, close the cassette compartment and press the cassette-in switch. The machine will lace up and the transport functions will be able to be tested. If there's sufficient torque on the supply spool during rewind, suspect wear on the upper drum. When the upper drum wears, the tape tends to stick and cause the rewind to be very slow or not work at all. Keep in mind you'll have to turn the take-up spool by hand whilst testing rewind otherwise the machine will shut down after a few seconds.

Regards

Fivos
Old 14th Jun 2022, 6:36 pm   #11
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello all and Fivos yes you were spot on, tape 'slack' before the drum and very tight after.
That is a real pity because the picture is crystal clear and probably the best of any of the beta's I have got.
Is there any way of a cure? Thank you.
All the best.
Geoff.
Old 14th Jun 2022, 8:49 pm   #12
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hello again. I've seen people restore Betamax upper drums using a metal polish compound such as Brasso or even some kind of mixture of water and baking soda or kitchen cleanser, as seen here.

Regards

Fivos
Closed Thread