UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2022, 9:51 pm   #21
Radio tirana
Pentode

Default Re: Drilling holes in thin metal

What a brilliant tip, this would have saved me working my way up the drill box one or Two sizes at a time and still often having the bigger drills snatch. I do tend to use a step cutter or hole punch these days but will certainly try this method out. Thanks for posting John
Kind regards Tony
Old 8th May 2022, 8:27 am   #22
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Drilling holes in thin metal

For the reasons outlined in the video, engineering drills are entirely the wrong tool for drilling holes in thin gauge metal. Sure, if you only have such drills to hand, using the technique illustrated with a piece of cloth will stop the metal being snatched, drawn up the flute of the drill and wrecked, but it's improvising. ('If the only tool you have in your box, everything looks like a nail, including screws').

The correct tool to use to cut holes in thin sheet is a step drill. They drill their own pilot hole and go up a step at a time in 1 - 2 mm stages. They've been mentioned before, are not expensive, will drill holes cleanly, safely, and without snatching. A couple of examples of titanium coated HSS step drills for under £10.00:

5mm – 35mm in 2mm steps for £8.99:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vakki-Cutti...1KRDFK6I&psc=1

Set of three, from 1mm to 20mm £8.49:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titanium-Co...75504327&psc=1

I've had a set of three for about ten years, which get used frequently to drill sheet metal, and acrylic sheet.

They cost me a tenner and are still as good as new.

I've attached an example of 22mm and 32mm holes quickly, cleanly and safely drilled in a piece of 2mm thick aluminium sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bergen set of three.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	256784   Click image for larger version

Name:	22mm & 32mm holes.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	256785  
Closed Thread