UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2005, 12:54 pm   #1
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default From Radio Rentals to Decca?

Hello,

Does anyone know the details of the move of TV receiver design and development staff from Radio Rentals at Bradford (after they were taken over by Thorn, circa 1968), to Decca Radio & Television?

Around 1970, there was a "step change" in the construction style and circuitry of Decca TVs. Their service manuals also changed. The post 1969 construction, circuitry and service manuals for / of Decca TVs have an uncanny resemblance to the previous Radio Rentals versions!

Also, does anyone know when Decca took over the Pale Meadow Works factory in Bridgnorth, Shropshire (which I believe was previously an Automatic Telephone & Electric Co. site and prior to that, RGD.......? Sadly, its now a housing estate!

Many thanks,

Dazzlevision
Old 13th Nov 2005, 4:35 pm   #2
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: From Radio Rentals to Decca?

I can't help much on this precise question but I can say that I liked working on Decca colour TVs up to their acquisition by Tatung in the early 1980s. The last Deccas -- labelled Tatung -still used the Decca chassis and were good but the subsequent Tatung sourced stuff was at first pretty mediocre, I believe. I guess it got better but by then I'd shut up shop and moved to pastures new.
-Tony
Old 14th Nov 2005, 12:42 am   #3
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Hi
Unfortunately I don't know much more than you do about this big skillbank move. I do know Decca were looking for a single standard repacement for their dual standard chassis, as luck would have it Thorn took over the Radio Rentals factory bringing the development and production of the BRC3000 to the Bradford factory, this effectivly displacing the Baird engineers who were already working on the replacement for the 710 Baird dual standard chassis.
I would imagine it would have been around 1968-1969 as the BRC3000 was one of the earliest 625 single standard chassis to be bought out alongside the equally famous BRC1500 mono chassis. Whilst the new 625 line Decca chassis did not show an appearance until 1971.
I went for a job interview with Decca at the Bridgnorth factory in 1979, strangely this was as a result of Radio Rentals buying up Bristol Wireless who I worked for at the time.
Old 14th Nov 2005, 9:11 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

As an ex-Thorn TVVC employee, this may be some use, but the forgettory may be slightly leaky.

As far as I know, the S/Std Deccas were those designed by a totally different team; this may be the ex-Baird 700 guys.
In the massive Thorn parts lists in the 1970s, there were dozens of 'cooking versions' of CTVs rebadged as 'Baird' - Decca, Rank A823, Korting and others.
All the JVC videos were of course rebadged Fergusons, starting with the 3292. These also became Bairds with an 8xxx model number.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 25th Jun 2007 at 4:45 pm. Reason: Typo (mine!)
Closed Thread