UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2020, 7:14 pm   #21
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Re: Vista Video 8902 VHS vcr.

Hi.

The head, supply reel, idler and capstan are running continuously when it's switched on. I did briefly get sound out of it and it was running at the correct speed, sound has gone again now. I hooked it up via RF and video out and I'm getting no picture at all, just a static screen. Darn thing

Many thanks

Rich.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 7:54 pm   #22
Snarf81
Heptode

Another thing I've just noticed is that when I set the clock, the minutes don't advance on the display. It's stayed at 19:16 since I set it. I don't know if that's all connected with the other problems?
Old 14th Aug 2020, 10:47 am   #23
Snarf81
Heptode

Quick update,
I've made some recordings on this vcr via the A/V inputs and they play back perfectly in other vcrs. I'm still not getting any picture output from this Vista though. The analogue tuner doesn't seem to be able to tune in anything from my RF modulator also. I'm a bit stumped with the poor old thing.
Old 15th Aug 2020, 1:18 pm   #24
birksholt
Pentode

Hmm, bit of a head scratcher. I'm struggling to think of a fault that would cause all these symptoms. Maybe one of the supplies (12 volt?) being wrong but I would think that would affect recording as well. Also the power supply is pretty reliable, although I suppose you don't know what might have happened to the machine before you got it. I would check the supplies anyway as a first step.

There's a motor control signal from the mechacon board that turns both motors on and off, if that was high all the time then they would run continuously. That enters the audio/servo board on a connector that's near the edge of the board towards the back of the machine, below the cut-out. It's numbered 51 and will probably have a capacitor wired to it on the print side. This is the board mounted vertically on the left side of the machine. It should be 12v in play, rewind, ffwd etc and 0v in stop. If it's 12v in stop then I'd try disconnecting it and measuring to see if its entering the servo board like that.

Do you have a scope? If so, then I'd check test point 7 on the head pre-amp board with a tape playing to see if you have a signal. This is the fm from the heads after the amplifier. This is the vertical board at the back of the machine.

Not sure about the clock. Looking at the circuit, it has 7v ac going to it and a selector for 50/60hz which suggests to me that it's synchronised to the mains frequency so if that 7v ac were missing it would be on but would not run. I'm not sure about this though so I might be talking rubbish.
Old 15th Aug 2020, 7:52 pm   #25
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi, thank you very much for the reply and helpful info! The machine doesn't look like it's been messed about with, it looks to be in very good condition internally.

I don't have a scope unfortunately, but I've got a multimeter handy and I'll be able to test the voltage with that. I'll take a look at the service manual to make sure what I'm looking at is what you suggested I test.

Incidentally, do you have a YouTube channel with a repair video on the 8902?

I'll take a look at the vcr tomorrow and report back what I can find.

Many thanks again,

Rich.
Old 18th Aug 2020, 1:07 am   #26
davyrocket2
Pentode

Hello Rich.

I suggest you look at the slider bars which are connected to the keys and one I seem to recall may be slow in returning to its normal position and allowing the motors to turn off, I think the one is connected to the play solenoid next too or under the cassette carriage also check with your other machines as if the clocks are the same number of buttons you can swap the internals or the trim.

Regards, David.
Old 18th Aug 2020, 3:40 pm   #27
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Re: Vista Video 8902 VHS VCR.

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to get some free time later this week to look at it again, so I'll take a look at the slider bars to see if they might be getting a bit stuck. I assume you're not talking about the two slide bars for the record switches that are on the vertical left hand servo board? I think I have two compatible clock modules from my other scrap machines I can swap to see if the clock will advance after being set.

Cheers

Rich.
Old 19th Aug 2020, 6:39 am   #28
davyrocket2
Pentode

Default Re: Vista Video 8902 VHS VCR.

Hello Richard. No it's the ones under the tape carriage.
Closed Thread