UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2020, 5:59 pm   #1
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Sony KV-28HX15U LED blink error

Hi all.

I got this TV from a fellow forum member some months ago, and he was having problems with it not powering up and the LED blinking a number of times.

Well, it didn't give me any nonsense until today. The red LED blinks 11 times, and according to the service manual it has something to do with a Jungle controller error 8v(?)

Does anyone know where to look and how to repair it please? I don't want to go into the TV with ham fists and potentially knacker it up as it is an absolutely fantastic set (when working).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200727-174712.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	212004  
Old 27th Jul 2020, 7:08 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony kv-28hx15u LED blink error

My opinion, which others may well disagree with, is that the error codes serve to tell you the TV is broken!
Dry joints are what you need to look for, especially on the three-pin regulators, the LOPT, the frame IC, the line driver transformer and the CRT base. It's a bit of an awkward chassis to dismantle, but it needs to be done to get things working reliably.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 9:56 pm   #3
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Sony KV-28HX15U LED blink error

As already said dry joints anywhere/everywhere can cause this fault.
I have had the power factor correction choke also be intermittent a couple of times on this chassis (FE 2), the main clue with this fault was that the main chopper supply wasn't running.
Another common fault is C641 (470µF, 35V), the reservoir capacitor on the secondary side of the standby supply being faulty hi esr.

There are of course many other faults but these tend to be of either the error code 2 overcurrent variety (lopt/PSU proper type faults) or error code 4 frame chip type faults.

I have had a couple of odd ball faults where one of the SM low value caps (100n ?) across either of the I2C bus SCL or SDA lines have gone leaky which caused an undocumented type of fault associated with the jungle chip of line collapse briefly before the set shut down.

Incidentally the jungle chip on this chassis is SM square flat-pack and very similar to and of the same family as that used in the Philips L01 chassis.

Last edited by Red to black; 27th Jul 2020 at 10:21 pm.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:28 pm   #4
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I agree that dry joints are a common occurence on these TVs. I find cleaning off the old dry solder and then resoldering will give lasting results. A decent magnifier will help too as not all crusty joints are always that obvious. The field output IC always seemed to be the worst affected.

Sorry to invade this thread, and not connected to this particular Sony TV, it reminded me to try and fix my Sony LCD TV model KDL-32S2010 with its dreaded 9 blinks LED fault which I believe is a firmware issue. Red to Black seems to be an expert on Sony TVs, any ideas the best way to fix this? I did put up a request for help some years back but can't relocate the thread. Perhaps I should start a new thread?

Regards,
Symon

Last edited by Philips210; 27th Jul 2020 at 10:37 pm.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:34 pm   #5
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
Hi.

Sorry to invade this thread, and not connected to this particular Sony TV, it reminded me to try and fix my Sony LCD TV model KDL-32S2010 with it's dreaded 9 blinks LED fault which I believe is a firmware issue. Red to Black seems to be an expert on Sony TVs, any ideas the best way to fix this? I did put up a request for help some years back but can't relocate the thread. Perhaps I should start a new thread?

Regards,
Symon
Not hardly
I did get more than my fair share of later model Sony CRT sets though as trade repairs from other dealers a Decade ago, sorry though I never really had anything much to do with flat panel stuff of any make as I was leaving the trade by then.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:45 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Thanks anyway. I found there is a fair bit of info here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43999 which involves using a low capacity SD card. It looks a little involved but hopefully possible.

Regards,
Symon
Closed Thread