UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2020, 4:49 pm   #21
See_Mos
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson Videostar 3V30 Tracking

So logically, the 3V29 would be the HR7200 manual which I already found.

I seem to remember the
Old 11th Jun 2020, 11:36 pm   #22
amtrakuk
Tetrode

As a comparison I thought I'd try Miss Marple on a Toshiba v852UK I used to use with my freeview box - thanks to sat control. The reproduction is only slightly better then the 3v30 so it proves how solid the old machines are performing at nearly 40 years old!

I'm guess a weak rewind is down to a warn idler tyre - especially struggling to turn the final few feet of tape, FF seems fine.
Old 14th Jun 2020, 1:32 am   #23
Focus Diode
Octode

I had an 8930 equivalent with the same problem. It was always possible to adjust the thumb wheel tracking control to get perfectly stable playback on pre recorded tapes. I put it down to marginal variations between machines hence the need for the control.

Still have many recordings made on the deck from the '80s which are of superb quality, both vision and sound, but the control requires adjustment to achieve that, that isn't always necessary for recordings made on other VCRs.
Old 14th Jun 2020, 3:30 pm   #24
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post
Do you still need the SM?

PM me with your E-mail address - the file is 50+MB

Kevin
Yes please Kevin. PM sent
Old 14th Jun 2020, 3:35 pm   #25
amtrakuk
Tetrode

I keep on having to remind myself just because the reproduction on the TV, the older recorders was from an era of what we would class as a small TV standard definition CRT too. Also some tapes may not be the same quality.
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 8:14 pm   #26
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

It has not been previously mentioned, but the condition of the pinchroller should be checked. Remove it and hold it up against a straight surface in the light. If it is concave, IE daylight can be seen down the middle, replace it before making any adjustments.

A worn pinchroller will cause the tape not to run correctly past the ACE head, causing tracking and audio problems, as well as possible tape creasing on the guides.

Another common problem with this series of machines and the later 3V35 was the wearing away of the mini grooves on the lower drum. If reverse search was performed on a tape near to the beginning, the excessive friction between the tape and lower drum would cause the tape to stall. On a 3V35, the top edge of the tape would crease up on the the left guide.

Last edited by Fidelity Fan; 3rd Jul 2020 at 8:22 pm.
Closed Thread