UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2020, 6:20 pm   #81
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Help with a Philips Anubis AAC Set

Strange name for a set. As Anubis was the Egyptian god of death and mummification, perhaps it's trying to tell you something
Roger
Old 11th Jul 2020, 9:25 pm   #82
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyGrid View Post
Strange name for a set. As Anubis was the Egyptian god of death and mummification, perhaps it's trying to tell you something
Roger
They (Philips) went through phases of naming chassis. They chose an Egyptian god as they are probably less well-known than the Greek ones. I think they used some Greek god names for a range of VCR decks (Apollo springs to mind) and they also used some names from the Phonetic Alaphabet (Charley, Delta, Echo, Juliet and there might have been a Queen as well).
Old 11th Jul 2020, 10:30 pm   #83
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

they also went with odd letters/numbers - GR2.2, MD1.2E, L01.2E, L6.1, A7H etc.

Could start a thread with the odd names/numbers Manufacturers used for their chassis

Ive bought the Anubis AAC set too so once that arrives my set will be fully restored.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 9:31 pm   #84
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyGrid View Post
Roger
They (Philips) went through phases of naming chassis. They chose an Egyptian god as they are probably less well-known than the Greek ones. I think they used some Greek god names for a range of VCR decks (Apollo springs to mind) and they also used some names from the Phonetic Alaphabet (Charley, Delta, Echo, Juliet and there might have been a Queen as well).
Queen came in 1997 after Paola and was the last letter used before the alfabet wrapped around to Apollo, with Apollo 13 possibly being the swan song before they sold the assembly lines to the scrapyard.

I think the Anubis A chassis was the last or close to the last consumer chassis to be designed and produced in Monza. After that they switched to the L series (likely L for Low End, with the number referring to the year of introduction - L6 for 1996, L01 for 2001, etc.) Which I think were mostly designed in France. I don't know of any other Philips TV chassis with a "real" name besides Anubis. They did use acronyms a lot, however. G or GR for global range. CT for Colour TV (CTX was Dutch/Singporean, all other CT. chassis were Spanish). MD for Mid Range. FL for Feature Line, etc.
Old 15th Jul 2020, 12:52 pm   #85
ben
Dekatron

I have been moving stuff round my workshop and think I have located the Anuibis set I mentioned. Will try and take a few pictures of it when I get up close!
Old 15th Jul 2020, 10:31 pm   #86
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Queen came in 1997 after Paola and was the last letter used before the alfabet wrapped around to Apollo, with Apollo 13 possibly being the swan song before they sold the assembly lines to the scrapyard.

I think the Anubis A chassis was the last or close to the last consumer chassis to be designed and produced in Monza. After that they switched to the L series (likely L for Low End, with the number referring to the year of introduction - L6 for 1996, L01 for 2001, etc.) Which I think were mostly designed in France. I don't know of any other Philips TV chassis with a "real" name besides Anubis. They did use acronyms a lot, however. G or GR for global range. CT for Colour TV (CTX was Dutch/Singporean, all other CT. chassis were Spanish). MD for Mid Range. FL for Feature Line, etc.
Thanks Maarten, it's 12 years since I worked for Philips although I had been there for some 35 years previously the old grey matter soon forgets acronyms etc.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 10:27 pm   #87
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Shes ALIVE!!

Replacement Chassis arrived, fitted and working perfect, Finally this story is at an end, Its old board I'll keep as a parts donor for any future repairs that might be necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	211370  
Old 12th Aug 2020, 12:43 am   #88
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Replacment Chassis New Fault...

all I know is something on the 9v sound ground shorted and i dont know what component/s have failed but the fault is intresting.

when the short happened the set went Dead, just a slight whimper from the smps transformer, suspected the the 630mA fuse (1540), checked and it was a dud, replaced it and the set came back to life and i just assumed everything was fine.

not so....
last night i discovered the Scart and Front AV sockets no longer work though the screen goes Black on Programe 0 like it normally does when its waiting for a signal . No Picture or Audio when Scart or Front AV devices connected.
Tuner works and had a VCR connected, Played a tape and the picture is fine but the sound is distorted and low (kinda grumbeled and slightly echoy) but changing the station to AV (0) the sound from the video comes through crystal clear but no picture.

Theres must be some kind of switching problem or missing voltage somewhere, the AV station is being fed crystal clear audio from the tuner which is odd but when av devices connected nothing happens. and on the actual tuned station the audio is terrible.

included the power supply diagram showing the fuse that blew and also the circuit for Scart and IF

Anyone any suggestions, always appreciate all the help you guys give.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	213280   Click image for larger version

Name:	scart.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	213281  
Closed Thread