UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2020, 1:01 pm   #41
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Help with a Philips Anubis AAC Set

Do able as you say Glyn, fiddly yes, like yourself I wouldn't do it in the day job for a paying customer but for my own stuff then yes.
I would try and drill a small hole at each end of the crack to stop it from spreading if I were to go down this route.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 5:30 pm   #42
ekjdm14
Banned

Yes definitely fixable, although as mentioned depends if you're willing/able to join those traces, I would drill the hole too & if there was space to do it, probably reinforce the board on the other side with a piece of scrap board or plastic glued either side of the crack to try and prevent it flexing in the future.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 5:57 pm   #43
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I have fixed a few like that before.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 6:33 pm   #44
ben
Dekatron

I've fixed worse than that!
Old 11th Apr 2020, 6:53 pm   #45
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes, fixable. Time and patience is required. Complete PCBs were never available and the chances of anyone having one of these for sale....
Old 11th Apr 2020, 8:26 pm   #46
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Are you sure that AV is not a separate button?
TV has automatic switching to AV on program 0 when a scart device is connected, the set wouldn't switch because the traces were cracked leading to the video sync IC 7015.
Old 11th Apr 2020, 8:34 pm   #47
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

I'm Gonna to repair the cracked traces and re-inforce the board (somehow)

Gonna start on it tomorrow, at least its not all the way through the board and in the line out stage and theres plenty of room on both sides of the damage to solder wire and repair it, hoping thats all thats affecting the board now and once repaired i'll have picture back, sound was intermittant also but the crack starts in the audio section and goes down towards the video control so hopefully its a two birds one stone situation.

I've repaired smaller track damage before but never something like this (many tracks in close proximity) has anyone got any tips re best practice for repairing this?
Old 11th Apr 2020, 11:32 pm   #48
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKC2E51R8 View Post

I've repaired smaller track damage before but never something like this (many tracks in close proximity) has anyone got any tips re best practice for repairing this?
Don't try to repair the tracks local to where the crack is, as it won't last very long, try to go point to point where possible from/to the next pcb land, however this is time taking and tedious but will give a better result.
Old 12th Apr 2020, 12:33 pm   #49
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Totally agree - a meter that bleeps for continuity (or a similar home made device), plus a couple of needle sharp probes to puncture the print will save you hours of tracing the print. Also get some really fine tinned insulated wire and some hot melt to secure the wires. With care the job can look quite tidy. A little Araldite or UV cure glue on the upperside will help reinforce the board.
Old 12th Apr 2020, 6:37 pm   #50
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have found a set of these :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multi...leads/1247401/

to be very useful for probing through the solder mask, testing individual pins of SMD devices, sticking into holes in D series sockets (and the like) as well as the 'official' use of sticking into the wire side of Molex and similar connectors. You need a set of 4mm plug to 4mm plug leads as well to connect them to the multimeter.

Obviously not for use on high energy systems (I have other test leads for that)

They may be intended for use on things we don't talk about here but that doesn't mean they don't have uses in vintage electronic repair!
Old 12th Apr 2020, 10:27 pm   #51
Kyle__B
Banned

I wouldn't be worried about fixing this crack, annoying yes hard no. Don't know how you'd reinforce it but as others have said drilling the ends of the crack will stop it from having anywhere to go, you'll just have to be extra careful handling it now as it won't be as strong anymore.

If you've got a fibreglass pen that'll take the solder resist coating off, where you patch I think it really up to you. Someone else said do it from each end but maybe I wouldn't, I'd rather patch where the crack is but with wires that are slightly long so they've got some slack in them, which should stop anymore flexing from breaking them.

I've done similar with an 80s computer motherboard (!) and it worked out alright.
Old 13th Apr 2020, 12:29 am   #52
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

I'm thinking of starting work on it tomorrow, Im gonna do it in stages and take my time to make sure i dont miss anything, first thing im gonna do is give the board a proper clean on the component side so i can more clearly see how far the crack travels then i'll have a better idea of the amouint of work il have to do on it.

the board itself has a plastic base that it slides into which then mounts into recesses on the cabinet, design wise on Phillips part they left the part of the board where the crack is particullarly vulnerable because the plastic base extends out slightly to protect the Flyback area but not where the crack is and where the plastic base ends is exactly where the crack begins.

thinking i might be able to attach somthing to this base to secure it further and protect the board once its repaired.
Old 13th Apr 2020, 12:52 pm   #53
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The method of repair is your choice as you can see the crack and how close the tracks are. Possible a combination of point-to-point and local links might be the best.
Thake your time and check and double check your work.
Good luck!
Old 16th Apr 2020, 6:29 pm   #54
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi all

Started work on it today, decided on a mixture of local repair (at the crack) and wire component to component.

Its frustrating and awkward but getting there, mapping out where these traces go is the most annoying part, and il never forgive Philips for their over reliance on SMDs

Wireing is kind of all over the place but the right bits are connected, thats all i was focusing on

Some of the traces go directly to an SMD resistor, they're the ones im wireing local to the crack.

Getting there slowly but surely. I just hope this solves the remaining problems with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200416_182235.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	203127  
Old 16th Apr 2020, 9:04 pm   #55
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Well Wired everything and its still the exact same, theres a Capacitor i'll need to change 2404, when i tapped on the rear of the chassis i kept loosing vertical deflection, tipping off the top of this cap restored deflection (still no picture) so im gonna change that cap and hope for the best. its a bigun 3300uf had none in stock so ive ordered it from eBay, just have to wait until it arrives.

Fixing the crack did (sort of) fix one issue, sound is back, but its got severe distortion on it (like when your in between stations on a radio)
Old 30th Apr 2020, 6:05 pm   #56
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi Eveyrone,
Still struggling with this TV, Everything is wired correctly and tested to ensure the connections are solid. Picture is still the same, full screen with retrace lines (only if G2 is turned up, Video Control chip is blanking the screen to prevent burn in otherwise) I cant figure out why the pciture is gone when i previously had picture.

Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction?
Old 30th Apr 2020, 6:30 pm   #57
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

just to add to this, I lost veritical deflection while trying to measure if the 26v was present at the Vertical Deflection IC, Fuseable resistor 3449 Blew so I replaced it, deflection is back, still no picture except the retrace lines but now Ive also Got OSD back when I hadnt before. dont know if that might help anyone in helping me solve this
Old 30th Apr 2020, 8:23 pm   #58
ben
Dekatron

so no signal from tuner or AV, but the OSD is OK? Switching problem or crack elsewhere I'd say.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 9:51 pm   #59
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

After taking the board out and putting it back in again the TV does one of two things,

1:starts up (still no picture) has OSD but its very Blurry
2: refuses to start, No LED, Sometimes a slight Noise (very Quiet) from flyback area as if its trying to start, Might be in Protection, Tapping the board seems to being the noise on, TV refuses to start when its like this for a few mins

Its driving me crazy. While I'm trying to solve this (Hopefully with you guys helping where possible) im going to keep browsing eBay in the hope one of them turns up that I can salvage a board from.

I cant see any other cracks after checking over the board with a magnifier.
Old 1st May 2020, 12:59 pm   #60
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'm afraid it's back to the magnifier and very strong lamp. It must be a crack or a dry joint. Check the crack you repaired hasn't crept along. Also make sure you've remade every track - it's very easy to miss one. Check the SMD parts near the crack as a pad can come away and, as they're glued down, you won't see it.
You might need to trace this with the set running. Prop the board up firmly, then explore the tracks. A mirror and a sharp insulated probe such as a toothpick are very handy, but of course I must stress all the safety aspects of doing this on a live TV. No offence intended, but only do it if you're absolutely confident.
Once you've got the TV producing a raster reliably you can turn to the other fault(s) if they're still there.
Closed Thread