UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2019, 3:13 pm   #1
dave_van_damn
Triode

Default Playback problem on Toshiba V9600 Betamax

Hello all,

I'm in the process of refurbishing a Toshiba V-9600B Betamax player. I've cleaned the whole machine, changed the capstan and loading belts and cleaned the idler tire thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. The issue I'm currently having is that the player seemingly doesn't have enough torque to play a cassette, but it has no problem rewinding and fast forwarding.

I've tricked the player into thinking there's a tape inside and have pressed play and the idler is able to turn the reel, however, adding even a small amount of pressure brings it to a stop. However, when using FF/RW, the idler seems to "shift gears" into another mode and the torque is much stronger.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I wonder if lightly sanding the idler tire would help? Or maybe this is a known issue with this model?

Thanks!
Old 10th Jul 2019, 3:36 pm   #2
vhs doctor
Pentode

Default Re: Playback problem on Toshiba V9600 Betamax

Check first if the motor which related with the play idler have enough torque.
Old 10th Jul 2019, 7:00 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I had a massive problem with the bottom drum on the V9600. This usually resulted in very slow or stop fast forward and rewind. Worth having a look at. Toshiba supplied them FOC for a considerable period so as not to lose face with customers. John.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 10:45 am   #4
dave_van_damn
Triode

Ok, I figured out the problem - I had put the pinch roller cap on incorrectly.

It's up and running now - playback is fine, but the fast forward/rewind is sluggish when it gets to about half way through a tape. I assume this is an idler problem but no chance of getting a new one nowadays. I've cleaned it throughly but problem persists.

John - Any tips on how to remedy the drum problem. I'm not sure I understand how the drum can affect ff/rw...?

Thanks
Old 11th Jul 2019, 5:44 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Most Betamax machines rewind and fast forward with the tape fully laced. This means that the tape should be kept away from the drum at speed by an air cushion. However if the lower drum becomes dull and worn the tape drags against it and slows down and eventually stops. Early VHS machines were free of this problem, but when they adopted the 'fully laced' mode for fast winding they often displyed similar symptoms.
The advantages of full wrap are less wear on the loading mechanism and quicker transitions between wind and play at the expense of drum wear.
It's possible to polish the lower drum, but that is unlikely to help in the case of the 9600, and it's not a job to be undertaken lightly. Of course, do check the winding torque first.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 6:54 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This is exactly the problem I encountered with the 9600. Every single one I sold had the problem that was dealt with by Toshiba by way of new replacements FOC.

There is no way to improve the old lower drum having become worn and dull in appearance.The back tension was set very high but unfortunately the damage was done.

The cheapest of all the Betamax machines was the Sanyo and in my opinion the very best. I never replaced a single head in these machines, the only problem encountered was the idler. It partly unlaced during rewind/fast forward. Picture quality was excellent without all the bells and whistles. It was a long time ago..John.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 7:43 pm   #7
dave_van_damn
Triode

Thanks for the responses guys! I guess I'll just put up with it then.

I've got a Sanyo VTC5000 which works but also has rw/ff issues. However, I have a new idler kit and belts to install so hopefully that'll remedy it!

Thanks again for the info.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 12:11 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Toshiba weren't very lucky with their Beta machines. The later V33 used to eat heads and upper drums, often in a matter of months. As usual, Toshiba were understanding and sent FOC replacements but they didn't last long either, even with the machine correctly set up.
On the other hand, I agree the Sanyo VTC5000 was great - top loading, simple mechanicals and everlasting heads. The only weak spot was the reel drive motor, but they were cheap and easy to change. Picture quality was quite good - not the best, but better than VHS.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 12:58 pm   #9
davyrocket2
Pentode

One thing you can try but, I will stress this now you can polish the drum area very carefully with Brasso, this should make the passing of the tape smoother but take note to avoid the head tips. I should point out that this area is called the rabbit edge. I have done this technique to many other Betamax machines but having not worked on a Toshiba, I am not familiar as to whether the tape is in contact with the head drum when in /FF/REW mode.

Regards, David.
Old 17th Jul 2019, 12:20 am   #10
dave_van_damn
Triode

When cleaning the drum, do I just need to avoid the tape heads in the centre slot or do I need to be careful when cleaning any other parts of the drum?
Old 17th Jul 2019, 10:37 am   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The heads that protrude are the bits to avoid at all costs as they are very fragile - any upward pressure and they are finished.
Polishing like this might improve matters but Toshibas were very difficult to get back once their polish has been lost. However, in this case you've nothing to lose as long as you avoid those heads!
Old 17th Jul 2019, 5:57 pm   #12
dave_van_damn
Triode

Thanks for the tips, I'll give Brasso a try!
Old 17th Jul 2019, 10:47 pm   #13
davyrocket2
Pentode

Think of the head's tips being like a clock. If it's a 4 head machine then they are at 12/3 /6 /9 'o' clock positions so look carefully and spot each tip and avoid it. If it a 2 head machine then only 2 positions apply.

Can you take a photo of the top of the head drum and post it.
Closed Thread