UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:36 am   #41
PaulM
Hexode

Default Re: ABC OB truck rescued - GNF 951E

We do have the front view too - very much as built and a full vehicle, not a trailer

https://www.***********/photos/andymi...100567223@N06/

Paul M
Old 5th Jul 2019, 12:13 pm   #42
Refugee
Dekatron

I was thinking that the side view of the truck is likely to be blocked by other trucks and also that the axles on the side view look too close together.
Perhaps there is a trailer as well.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:51 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

This:

https://www.***********/photos/andymi...100567223@N06/

Compared to this looks like a major chassis/body hack:

https://www.***********/photos/61279840@N03/14992982227

Lawrence.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 3:42 pm   #44
red16v
Heptode

Going out on a very long limb. Could this have ended up as a mobile transport truck for a major Pop band/group carting some of their kit around the world on some sort of world tour? The tour could have started off anywhere and ended up in the US where the vehicle may simply have outlived its use and was sold off or abandoned for scrap?

I've witnessed several large groups rehearsing their act in a TV studio for several days before embarking off on a major tour (ironing out technical niggles etc pre going out on the road).

One major flaw might be why would such a mega-band would embark on a World wide tour in a van with Green Cross code livery does escape me I have to admit!
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:00 pm   #45
Refugee
Dekatron

I am more sure than ever that the side view is a trailer.
If you look more closely the wheels look more like those of a horse trailer and the tyres are consistent with that.
It tells us what chassis the trailer was built on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axles.png
Views:	169
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	186217  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:43 pm   #46
ms660
Dekatron

Look at the photo of the front of the OB truck in respect to the trailer or whatever it is on the LH side then look at the rear view photo in respect to the end of that same trailer or whatever it is, I think that's the other giveaway unless I need glasses

Lawrence.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:45 pm   #47
Refugee
Dekatron

From the rear view you can see the red truck and it is far enough distant for the back to indeed be a trailer.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:04 pm   #48
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Would you have Long Vehicle sign though on a trailer?
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:06 pm   #49
Refugee
Dekatron

"long vehicle" signs are more common on trailers.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:10 pm   #50
PaulM
Hexode

It could be a trailer, but remember that this vehicle is about 34ft long. The trailer would make it something like 50ft long overall, possibly more.

The twin rear axle does look like the kind that US buses have, but equally it might be a trailer.

The back is certainly different to the 'as constructed' picture (we had noticed that) but it could have been altered at the same time as an extra axle.

Towing a trailer that length with a VAL14 would have been interesting, especially if truck and trailer were both well laden. Not sure I've ever seen a picture of a VAL towing! Possible, of course, but quite a rig.

Short of more information it's hard to say for sure, but it's almost certain that truck is now long gone, so it's rather academic. The photographer is American and has answered some questions. He may answer further questions (if he recalls).

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:55 pm   #51
FRANK.C
Heptode

Looking at the last photo the one of the side with the wheel sunk into the ground.

Going by the way the wheels are sunk, the shadows on it and the small amount of snow on the ground. That photo has to be of the passenger side (left hand side when viewed from rear).
Right? If so the cab should be in view as the trailer or whatever ends on the left of the photo.

Frank
Old 6th Jul 2019, 4:39 am   #52
Refugee
Dekatron

I have seen modern buses pulling trailers. They are normally used to carry passengers between air ports.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 8:10 am   #53
Radio Wrangler

Those do look like the 'close-coupled' axles of a trailer. The idea is that if you have to have two axles to handle the weight, then unless they have steering gear, they need to be as close together as possible or else they make the trailer very reluctant to change direction. This means putting the axles closer together than is easy to arrange suspension for and leaf springs become uncomfortably short and stiff. The wheels certainly aren't part of a 4-wheel steer chassis as tyres would meet if steered.

The rims look to be 16 inch Land Rover ones, shod with period Land Rover tyres. 16 inch tyres are very much a problem in the US, all their Jeeps etc run 15 inch though the outer diameter comes out the same. There is more choice and lower prices for tyres. So most landys to be seen in the US will be on 15 inch rims.

Rice (Leicester) made horse trailers and other types using Landy wheels on close-coupled twin axles. They made their own suspension gear and rod brakes. Land-rovers with their floating half-shafts donated hubs and drums. Rice were THE British trailer to have in the sixties. and having a wheel matched to what you probably towed it with made sense.

Anyway, look at photos of sixties Rice horseboxes and you'll see the resemblance.

I think there are two mysteries in the USA. Maybe an anglophile got two unrelated items moved across? Maybe the TV OB van was on a global mission, modified to tow a baggage trailer? Mission accomplished it would be a liability to bring home. The Americans would not like a weird truck no-one kept parts for, or a trailer with non-standard 'tires'. Getting left to rot is a common fate.

Interest hereabouts hinges on whether it was still a functional OB van when it made its great journey, or whether it had been converted into something else first.

I can't help thinking that vehicles are a lot cheaper in the US than the UK. Anyone wanting a cheap camper would soon realise there was no economic sense in shipping one from here, and with all that space inside, would a trailer be necessary?

If the trailer is related, then it suggests the VAL was already full of something.

It's a puzzle. All the clues are vehicle-related, but the outcome might be an answer to why someone in the US might want an entire outside broadcast system for 50Hz TV.

The trailer could have been filled with spares!

Plenty of speculation, lots of guessing but without more actual info, we may never know.

David
Old 6th Jul 2019, 8:49 am   #54
PaulM
Hexode

It is indeed speculation, but the registration numbers are the same front and back, whether it's one vehicle or truck and trailer. Buses in the USA do typically have two close-coupled rear axles (engine in the back) and I don't think the modified single vehicle hypothesis can be ruled out. Towing with a VAL14 would be an interesting business and the trailer would have to braked at that size.

Back in the world of our vehicle, we're still looking for anything about its operational days on OB - both ABC/Thames and Sony.

It never ceases to amaze me what turns up about our trucks. As an aside, it turns out that two model makers have been busy with our 'Southern'. See:

https://www.clickasnap.com/i/tbk97g2ey6im1mc5#
https://www.***********/photos/29128993@N04/5384974005

Turns out there's also one of our new one, this ABC/Thames truck, but I can't post a picture or supply a link just yet until copyright is cleared.

Not seen one of our Project Vivat yet (although our target vehicle is immortalised as a Dinky toy), or of the Type 5 or Yorks Tyne Tees.

Thanks for all the positive and constructive interest so far!

Best regards,

Paul
Old 6th Jul 2019, 9:22 am   #55
ms660
Dekatron

There's a scale for measuring.....the registration plates....I make the front 2.9 metres body height....The rear I make 1.93 metres body height...Big difference.....Both approx. due to my crappy ruler and computer screen.

The tyres look to be much the same type of tyres fitted on my old Land Rover Series 1 88" and my old Sankey Land Rover trailer, namely Avon TM's:

https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/clas...ction-mileage/

The suspension will be cart springs just like the old Land Rovers were before they went posh and ditched the body building steering wheel.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 6th Jul 2019 at 9:28 am. Reason: Link added
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:40 am   #56
Station X

The biggest clue must be the vehicle's Green Cross Code livery. Perhaps it formed part of a travelling exhibition visiting towns, cities and schools?

I've attached an extract from the autobiography of David Prowse who played the part of the Green Cross Man.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gxc.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	186232  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Jul 2019, 10:44 pm   #57
nigelr2000
Heptode

Took my moggy pickup to the vintage transport day at Holt railway station in Norfolk today and spotted this OB truck on show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	186331   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	186332  
Old 8th Jul 2019, 8:58 am   #58
PaulM
Hexode

It's not strictly an OB truck. It's an ex-BBC generator truck. The owner acquired it as a flat-bed and built a new body on it in the original style. Inside it's a living van and very nicely done.

We co-ordinated the green colour of Project Vivat with them so that if ever we're together at a show we will match! We found out that there were many shades of BBC green down the years. www.projectvivat.co.uk

Best regards,

Paul M
Closed Thread