UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2019, 8:24 pm   #21
PaulM
Hexode

Default Re: ABC OB truck rescued - GNF 951E

Yes, indeed, thanks for the reminder - appreciated. We had been warned about the inferior brakes on the VAL 14 a while ago. We don't intend putting anymore kit in it in terms of weight than original, but we have also been told by ex-Thames staff that the loading was always 'difficult' and the brakes weren't good (but legal). The VAL 70 is not brilliant either - especially trying to keep a balance on the front axles.

Fortunately, these trucks don't do a lot of miles these days and if going long distance hitch a ride on a low-loader!

400 engine noted - I said 500 initially (must read what I type . . . ).

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 1st Jul 2019, 8:04 am   #22
bobsterkent
Hexode

one other point about the VAL, one of its selling points in the 60's was that its safe with a high speed blowout on a front axle, yep I've experienced that too in mine, and yes it was safe!
Old 1st Jul 2019, 10:57 am   #23
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
The reclaimed land is still very close to the OB garage and that was the reason we were given for fibreglass plus the general proximity of the sea on a lot of jobs.

We do not yet know what was on board the truck when in Sony service beyond 'HDVS' on the side and some information gleaned from some paperwork still on board relating to dates:

09/02/1984 Registered to Sony
11/10/1984 to 10/11/1984 Insurance Card to Sony with Driver Mr A. Payne (possibly to Italy)
19/04/1985 Import Licence for HD demo goods
15/09/1986 Dept. Of Roads, Trieste area; Permission to transit a long, heavy vehicle
16/10/1986, Permit to Demonstrate during visit of President, in conjunction with RAI up to 19/10/1986
12/11/1990 registered to John Collins (i.e. sold by Sony)

What we're looking for is a picture of the inside in this period and some clues as to what they were doing with it. I had heard a rumour about 4 locked VTRs but that's not confirmed.

Best regards,

Paul M
Assuming it was the HDTV demo truck I can certainly confirm it had the 4 locked Sony VTR's inside it (each providing a quarter of the resultant picture). The van went to various sites around the UK demonstrating HDTV (obviously!) to the broadcasting industry. I saw it at LWT where it stayed parked up for a short while before moving on. I don't have any other info but I will ask around on another site.

Talking about the Southern OB truck, I presume you know why it doesn't have the original single piece windscreen?
Old 1st Jul 2019, 12:10 pm   #24
Hartley118
Nonode

I recall being impressed by the Sony HDTV demonstration on a big screen at the 1984 IBC convention in Brighton. This SMPTE report on the convention mentions a Sony van. Would it have been this very van?

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/st...number=7246561

Curiously the report mentions a 1-inch VTR rather than 4 locked machines. Maybe the locked machines were the actual source of the HD video and the 1-inch machine was a display model.

Martin
Old 1st Jul 2019, 8:13 pm   #25
PaulM
Hexode

Thanks to all contributors so far! Some interesting comments.

Martin - that's the best lead we've had. Almost certainly has to GNF 951E. Oh for photo of it on Brighton sea front!

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 1:32 am   #26
Tim
Dekatron

Re. photos in post no3.
Those banks of equipment look very similar to kit we were using at Bristol hospital radio in the late 1980's. They were the ones in the vertical panels (grey with black knobs as I recall.) The amp modules in question were used to run the mixing desk in one of the studios. Someone told me they came from an old HTV OB truck.

I do recall that the level pots were extremely worn out, and apparently of a type or size that was no longer obtainable, meaning that one had to set them for full output and use the relevant fader at about 3/4 t0 7/8, and pushing the faders if more output was needed, as using the amp module post wold result in heavy crackling.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 8:40 am   #27
red16v
Heptode

I've asked around on a couple of sites. The consensus seems to be that the Sony demo truck is not the one you have. I have now seen picture of the one I was thinking of and it is a completely different vehicle - in fact its an articulated trailer pulled by a powered unit of some sort. It was built as part of the EU Eureka HDTV project. Ex-colleagues mention that it went to IBC in the mid 80's at Brighton (and then to a demo in Paris). So, not sure what to make of it really - lots of paths to go down. I will try one further path.

I assume you have seen the other pictures of the unit on these sites:

http://www.tvobhistory.co.uk/itv-ob-units.html

https://www.***********/photos/273665...n/photostream/

Last edited by red16v; 2nd Jul 2019 at 8:53 am.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:03 am   #28
PaulM
Hexode

Thanks for all the effort - much appreciated!

We've pretty much exhausted all the web pictures, so it's a case of going deeper into people's minds and archives.

I did find some background from a Sony perspective on Howard Steele:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Corpor...tory/2-04.html

The relevant piece states:

When the European base was being planned, Morizono decided that he wanted to have someone well acquainted with local broadcast stations, knowledgeable of the relevant technology and possessing business acumen to spearhead the business. Therefore, when Morizono met Howard Steele, former technology chief of the U.K.-based IBA (Independent Broadcasting Authority) and ex-chief of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union), Morizono asked Steele if he could recommend someone. Steele took a moment to think and said, " Okay, I think I know someone. He'll probably be at the broadcast equipment show in Montreux, Switzerland, so I'll introduce him to you then." Steele was an outgoing man with a good reputation, so Morizono thought that anyone Steele recommended must be good. He was looking forward to meeting the candidate.
During the Montreux Show, Morizono received a phone call at his hotel from Steele. He was ready to introduce the candidate to Morizono. When Morizono went to the restaurant where they were supposed to meet, Steele was sitting alone, already quite inebriated. Morizono had a reputation for being a heavy drinker, but he was no match for Steele. When Morizono asked where the candidate was, Steele smiled broadly and replied, "I'm right here." Steele was famous for his sense of humor, but this truly surprised Morizono. In 1978, Steele joined Sony and Sony Broadcast Ltd. (SBC) was established. Thanks to Steele's leadership and the hard work of his team, Sony's European broadcast business expanded rapidly.

He was certainly an interesting chap. He fronted 'The Entertaining Electron' TV programme explaining how TV works. on that evidence, he was very good in front of the camera too.

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 3:05 pm   #29
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16v View Post
I've asked around on a couple of sites. The consensus seems to be that the Sony demo truck is not the one you have. I have now seen picture of the one I was thinking of and it is a completely different vehicle - in fact its an articulated trailer pulled by a powered unit of some sort. It was built as part of the EU Eureka HDTV project. Ex-colleagues mention that it went to IBC in the mid 80's at Brighton (and then to a demo in Paris). So, not sure what to make of it really - lots of paths to go down. I will try one further path.

ISTR that the 1984 Sony HDTV demo at the IBC in Brighton was publicised as being part of an EU Eureka development project.

Martin
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:46 pm   #30
Vectamart
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Hello.

It never ceases to amaze me who lurks out there on this forum, so this is a longshot, but you never know . . .

Last year, we rescued (yet another) TV outside broadcast truck. This one may have lived on without us, but probably as just a jumbo camper van as she's been for the past 25 years on the Isle of Wight.

OK, those that know about our activities will say - ' . . . but you haven't finished Project Vivat yet!'. That's true, but we're close and you have to think about the next one! For the latest on that one, see: www.projectvivat.co.uk

Back to ABC-Thames as we now call her. This was a knee-jerk 'save it' reaction, but we now know rather more about her history and what a history! It turns out that she was one of three built for ABC TV and the 'middle one' of the series, all substantially similar. Pic 'as now' attached. The design of these trucks was the first longitudinal layout truck (like a corridor train) and carried up to six Marconi MkV Image Orthicon cameras. Now, over and above that, it seems that this was the first all solid-state equipped vehicle and the first of the series was ITV's contribution to the World Cup final at Wembley in 1966. First ask - does anybody have a copy of the ITV/BBC booklet of which we only have a scan of the cover picture (attached), please? This booklet would be very revealing.

'Firsts' are dangerous - somebody will always prove you wrong - but, hey, so far that's not happened and the third 'first' claim is that of being the first HDTV equipped vehicle in 1986. After being re-worked for colour with Marconi MkVIIs by Thames TV after they took over ABC, she eventually passed to Sony who re-equipped for HDVS. Fortunately, within my collection I have one of the very early 5:3 aspect ratio cameras and monitors of the type that would have been fitted. What we don't have is any pictures of the interior from that period. Anybody out there know/have anything, please? She spent sometime in Italy doing demos of HDVS and that could yield a lead.

The first of the three was scrapped, ours became a camper van, and the third is sitting in a scrap yard in New York complete with 'Green Cross Code' decals. How that came to be, we have no idea.

One can picture the BBC's reaction to this sleek 'Lady Penelope' twin steer pulling into Wembley for the World Cup. What a quantum shift in design compared to BBC Main Fleet of the day and just a few years between them. The man responsible was Howard Steele, ex-Marconi who moved to ABC and then from Thames went to the IBA and then on to run Sony Broadcast, tragically dying quite young. To have 'his' vehicle built, he pulled strings with his old colleagues at Marconi's and as good as forced them to build on the Bedford VAL twin steer coach chassis (body by RTS of Hackney). The weight distribution problems were huge, but they did it and it set the trend for decades to come.

The above is just a condensed version of what we know so far, but what a game-changer for OBs! We've started by ripping out the camper van kit and the Sony false floor. See: www.becg.org.uk under 'projects' and GNF 951E.

Any photos, information and stories most welcome!
As far as I am aware, that Bedford VAL14 is still owned by Howard Burford of Wootton, Isle of Wight. It used to be a regular visitor/exhibit on running days at the Isle of Wight Bus Museum.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:51 pm   #31
red16v
Heptode

Have put a couple of feelers out. Would seem that the OB unit number changed over the years. Naturally I will report back if I hear anything.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:54 pm   #32
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by red16v View Post

ISTR that the 1984 Sony HDTV demo at the IBC in Brighton was publicised as being part of an EU Eureka development project.

Martin

If it was the big articulated unit, it had ITV branding on the side too, as well as Eureka signage.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 8:39 pm   #33
PaulM
Hexode

I think that GNF 951E was not so much of a demo truck, more of an experimental production unit - a proper OB truck. I can't prove that (yet . . .) but with trips to Italy and talk of operas recorded I think that it was a production tool, not a demonstration truck. Having said that, by its very novelty, it would also have been used to demonstrate the new technology actually in use, so still a demo truck, albeit different. I hope that makes sense!

We bought the truck indirectly from Howard Burford and we have exchanged emails with him. He approves of what we're doing, but it would still probably be a bit shocking to see our 'tear out' video of much of his handiwork! See bottom of:-

https://becg.org.uk/2019/06/28/abc-t...ideo/#more-719

Best regards,

Paul M

Last edited by Station X; 3rd Jul 2019 at 10:10 pm. Reason: Link corrected.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:47 pm   #34
red16v
Heptode

I’m told the 3 people admiring the van in the 4th picture on your website ...

https://becg.org.uk/projects/abc-thames/

... are ABC projects engineers. Perhaps they are admiring the fruits of their labour?

Edited to add: sorry can’t make a direct link to the photo. It’s the one looking at front of the unit from the front offside with three ‘blokes’ at the front nearside of the unit looking back at it. Not that the info is of much interest really.
Old 4th Jul 2019, 9:08 pm   #35
Stuart R
Heptode

The admiring crowd of Engineers look like they are at the Teddington security gate.

There's a small reference to the three trucks on the last page here:

http://www.arts-tv.org.uk/memorabili...t-1987-web.pdf

SR
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:13 am   #36
its ur aerial
Hexode

Seen this many times at the IOW Havenstreet Steam festival, I am so glad it will be restored back to a OB Unit.
In that picture of the other one, the Artic trailer next to it looks, very much a Yank one to me.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:47 am   #37
PaulM
Hexode

There is a bit more about the New York link - it may have left the scrap yard. There is another picture of the inside showing mains distro panel and some other kit. It's here:
https://www.***********/photos/andymi...100567223@N06/

If you go forward and back arrow from that, you will find the two photos I've already posted plus some close-ups plus more comments (the navigation can be a bit flaky).

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:02 am   #38
peter_scott
Dekatron

The adjacent blue vehicle appears to have a telephone number on its door. Two digits followed by three digits followed by 4 digits. That suggests to me a European phone number. I think US numbers would be prefixed with three rather than two digits.

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:16 am   #39
PaulM
Hexode

Peter, another clue in favour of the US argument is that the truck seems to have grown an extra rear axle which looks very American.

See: https://www.***********/photos/andymi...100567223@N06/

My guess is that it may have had to be added to meet US axle loading regs.

All very odd, but something tells me that Kingston New York could well be right, but why did it wind up being there?

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:13 am   #40
Station X

That looks more like a trailer to me. Note the red triangles on the rear.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread