UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2015, 6:40 pm   #21
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Reviving a Rediffusion Mk1 - variable transformer to 'warm it up'?

Hi
Out of interest are these the original Mk1s or the refurbished and updated ones that looked like a Mk3?
Either are good sets, though. I never managed to work out how on earth you serviced the 20" versions though.
Old 13th Oct 2015, 9:09 pm   #22
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
...Out of interest are these the original Mk1s or the refurbished and updated ones that looked like a Mk3?...
My uncle and aunt many years ago rented a "proper" Mk3 and then for the sake of cheapness swapped to a refurbished Mk1 in a Mk3 cabinet like you describe Glyn. Not too much difference in performance if I remember rightly!
Old 19th Oct 2015, 7:07 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi Tas
Yes - Rediffusion went to town on their refurbishment. All boards were removed, cleaned and modified to latest spec. A Mullard Colourex tube was fitted in a new Mk3 cabinet. Then fuses and fusible resitors were fitted in the HT lines, and new valves put in. The only difference to the untrained eye (from the front at least - a nice warm glow from the back was a bit of a giveaway!) was the missing PIL logo on the control panel. They gave excellent pictures, especially as the Colourex tubes lasted longer than some of the RCA tubes in the real Mk3s. Amazingly they were awarded Kite Mark status - I think the only other hybrid that had that was the ITT CVC9.
We bought a few of these sets cheaply - they flew out of the shop as they performed so well and looked modern to boot!
Other firms did this 'refurbishment' on their old sets, though few to the standard that Rediffusion set. Remember the pensionable and dust-covered Pye 11U in a smart cabinet? I also recall the Thorn TX10 Mk1 chassis found its way into a modern black cabinet with the boards hanging around inside at all sorts of jaunty angles. Can't recall the name - possibly Tristar?
Glyn
Old 19th Oct 2015, 8:22 pm   #24
AC/HL
Dekatron

I believe it was something to do with Purchase Tax or some other restriction.
Old 20th Oct 2015, 8:18 am   #25
MALC SCOTT
Octode

I remember they did a refurb of the RT529/22 (RBM A823). Nice new cabinet, 6 button varicap tuner. They fitted a batch of special Mullard A56-120x quick heat tubes. I have never seen a crt warm up as fast.Within 3 seconds it produced a raster but the degause cycle was visible. The sets performance was no better, Malc.
Old 21st Oct 2015, 2:49 pm   #26
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Yes - there was a tax implication for these refurbished sets so they were able to rent them out to customers at a lower rate when they demanded a new set just like next door's! However, as I said, Rediffusion did an excellent job and I suspect these refurbished Mk1s were as reliable as the contemporary Mk3s, and maybe had the edge on performance.
Never seen one of those 823s, but their performance must have been dismal next to any of Rediffusion's in house sets. I know they did use the infamous Bush CTV25 without an IF strip in a custom cabinet for their early colour sets.
Glyn
Closed Thread