UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2020, 12:21 pm   #1
SteveP02
Triode

Default Quad 303 thundering (in a bad way)

Ten minutes after turning on and listening to my old Quad 303 (one of a bi-amped pair) it did a realistic impression of a storm breaking overhead, as in deep rumbles followed by claps of thunder that got louder until they were deafening. Same again today. Not sure if it was both channels (amp drives one speaker with signal split high/low) but the claps were so convincing that I suspect it was. It's on at the moment to check that, but of course it's perfectly well-behaved just now.

I rebuilt it a few months ago with a Dada electronics kit, so main caps and lots of components on the power and driver boards are new. Sounded great, but now I'm now steeling myself to strip it all apart again. Could anyone suggest what I might be looking at and where to start the troubleshooting?

Many thanks!
Old 16th Jul 2020, 12:29 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Quad 303 thundering (in a bad way)

Is this the same Quad 303 which featured in this thread? You were offered advice, but never came back to us with an update:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=158714

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 8:40 am   #3
SteveP02
Triode

Hi Graham, no, unfortunately I never got anywhere with that one. Sorry for not reporting back but after a few weeks of trying and failing to stop the main fuse blowing, I realised I wouldn't be up for risking another set of Dada boards in it even if I did make some progress. Consequently it's still in bits downstairs and instead I found a 303 with a battered case and started from scratch.

So the two amps I'm using have been good for the last six months, since their revision with Dada upgrades for the main caps, PSU and drivers boards. The problem is new and came on suddenly. I'll measure the voltages as soon as I have the time (a broken dishwasher needs me too) but just wondered if anyone has come across this problem before?
Old 17th Jul 2020, 1:33 pm   #4
fetteler
Octode

Does the DaDa refurb kit include presets? If not then they would be my prime suspect. In any case you need to do some basic faultfinding like deciding if it's one or both channels and is the output of the PSU OK.

Steve.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 2:35 pm   #5
dave cox
Nonode

Bi-amped, could be with / without active crossovers ?
Does one amplifier drive L only and the other amplifier R only (optimal) ?

In any case I would try it with only 1 amplifier powered up at a time.

dc
Old 17th Jul 2020, 3:14 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Take a few steps backwards.

Lose the active crossover, lose the good speakers.

Try one 303 alone as a simple full frequency range stereo setup into some cheap (sacrificial) speakers.

Get it going properly like this, then its compatriot, before trying to reassemble the biamp setup.

There are fewer uncertainties to ponder this way, and clues are more easily interpreted.

David
Old 17th Jul 2020, 5:55 pm   #7
SteveP02
Triode

Thanks everyone. It's a passive crossover set up, with one amp for each speaker so the faulty amp is easy to spot. The problem continued with it disconnected from the source. Great idea about the sacrificial speakers particularly as I can run them l/r instead of hi/low. It will make it more obvious if it's a single channel issue. Dada kit included handfuls of resistors, capacitors, diodes and two trim pots for each driver board, one for the PSU board.
The problem there as soon as I turned back on after a two minute break. Yesterday morning it took five minutes and having left them powered a few hours it was still silent as after an hour, but with no load.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 7:49 pm   #8
Petedox
Pentode

Steve, I believe you also asked a similar question in the Quad Dada forum some months back?

I agree with David that you need to return the units to their correct original set up before starting any debug activities. As suggested a good start is to ascertain which channel (or both) is faulty - then get back to this forum with some voltages etc, there's plenty of help available!
Old 17th Jul 2020, 8:18 pm   #9
SteveP02
Triode

Thanks Pete, different amp and problem but yes, will start to narrow it down with some testing and will report results.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 12:12 pm   #10
SteveP02
Triode

10 hours of listening and it's not missed a beat. Beginning to believe I can fix things by staring at them really hard. I'll report back as soon as that changes!
Old 19th Jul 2020, 1:08 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

The danger of that method is what they do when you stop staring at them.

It's very difficult fixing something while it's working properly.

David
Old 20th Jul 2020, 2:19 am   #12
fetteler
Octode

In my experience, things which sometimes work and sometimes don't almost inevitably have some sort of physical reason for the failure; plain old fractured wires (the 303 has single strand wiring), weird dry joints, hairline cracks in pcb tracks, strange thermal effects in resistors and caps, even stranger failures of transistors.. etc. etc.

Get in there, switch it on and have a good old poke around and tap every component to see if you can provoke the fault. I remember a guitar amp which occasionally made noises - turned out to be a ceramic disc capacitor which, when I gave it a gentle tap with a screwdriver handle made a deafening noise.

Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 20th Jul 2020 at 2:25 am.
Old 20th Jul 2020, 9:07 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

The key is in finding how to get it not working properly, and if the method of doing so doesn't directly reveal the fault, then at least you can get it sulking while you probe interesting places.

The insulated handles of a variety of sizes of screwdrivers down to little plastic trimming tools serve me as graduated clout generators.

David
Old 20th Jul 2020, 1:38 pm   #14
dave cox
Nonode

Trying to provoke faults with hot / cold on a hair dryer is also worth trying!
Old 20th Jul 2020, 4:09 pm   #15
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The insulated handles of a variety of sizes of screwdrivers down to little plastic trimming tools serve me as graduated clout generators.
Yep, they are my weapon of choice too

Steve/
Old 20th Jul 2020, 6:02 pm   #16
SteveP02
Triode

Cheers for that. still short on time and holiday coming up fast but when I do get time to pull it apart I will torture it as directed. Currently it's still on its best behaviour.
Old 13th Aug 2020, 11:38 am   #17
SteveP02
Triode

Well, I've poked, prodded and listened for hours and haven't been able to provoke the thunder to come again. I should be pleased but I'd prefer to know what it was. Anyway, many thanks for the suggestions and if/when it returns I will let you know.
Old 13th Aug 2020, 1:36 pm   #18
Radio Wrangler

Well, if it's fixed itself then it still leaves you with that nagging uncertainty that you don't have a definite reason why it won't do it again.

I'm still wondering just what 'Thundering' was.

The main issues I've had with 303s have been oscillations around 10MHz appearing only on part of the waveform of a audio signal (unstable triplet!)

David
Old 13th Aug 2020, 6:23 pm   #19
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

They were pretty sensitive to the fT of the 2N3055 output devices (they have a weird RCA all digit number). The original hometaxial base devices were really sluggish with an fT of 800kHz, whereas modern 2N3055's have an fT of 2.5MHz.

Craig
Old 13th Aug 2020, 11:28 pm   #20
Boulevardier
Octode

Steve

You have a private message.

Mike
Closed Thread